Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Unexpected tax document

Unexpected tax document

Old Aug 18th 2021, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unexpected tax document

After completing my tax return I received a
Demonstracao de Liquidacao de IRS
in the post.

I didn't get one of these last year, so is this a new document?
I only recognise one of the figures on the document.

Do I need to take any action with this?
Old Aug 18th 2021, 6:19 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected tax document

It's not a new document - you should get one every time you complete a tax return.

If the line immediately under the table reads "DATA LIMITE DE PAGAMENTO : YYYY-MM-DD" and "VALOR A PAGAR" with an amount next to it, you owe tax to the tune of that amount and it must be paid by the date indicated.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I never got one of those.
Maybe this year...
Old Aug 18th 2021, 8:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I never got one of those.
Maybe this year...
I thought, from previous posts of yours, that you pay PT tax on rental income from abroad.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do.
But I never received any acknowledgment that I paid, which always bothered me.
Obviously, there's the bank records.
It could be that they send it to my accountant, but that doesn't really make sense as they send the tax bill to me directly.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 10:07 pm
Polished expat

It's not a receipt - it's the notification of what you owe or are due back.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
It's not a new document - you should get one every time you complete a tax return.

If the line immediately under the table reads "DATA LIMITE DE PAGAMENTO : YYYY-MM-DD" and "VALOR A PAGAR" with an amount next to it, you owe tax to the tune of that amount and it must be paid by the date indicated.
Last year I was relying on mail-forwarding, so that was one that obviously didn't get through.

What was worrying me was that of all the figures in the table, I recognised only one.
Is it sufficient to check if and how much you have to pay?
Or is it advisable to understand all the figures in the table for any future purpose?
Old Aug 19th 2021, 1:25 pm
Polished expat

In my opinion, it would be best for you if you could understand roughly how the final figure's been arrived at, for the sake of peace of mind.

I'm guessing "Rendimento global" is the figure you recognise as your total income. If there's a figure in "Deduções especificas" it's an allowance or allowances on the income, deducted from the above to arrive at the taxable amount, which is labelled "Rendimento coletável". Once that's been through the mangle, you get the gross tax due in the "Coleta total" line, from which is deducted "Deduções à coleta" - these are the amounts you can see on your e-fatura page, relating to expenditures in various categories where you've asked fo,r or been supplied with, a receipt with your NIF associated.

I think those would be the chief influences in most cases - does that help a bit in clarifying things or are there other mystery figures that could do with an explanation?
Old Aug 19th 2021, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

We (as a couple) have never been able to work out what it all means but this year I think I've finally managed to work out how they worked out the tax due, but I'm still not sure!

Rendimento global (no1) isn't our total income but ONLY my pension and Deduções especificas (no 2) is always 4104 and is deducted from no 1 to give an amount that is taxed at 14% (no 6). We also have rental income from the UK which isn't actually listed on the Demonstração de Liquidação but is taxed at 28.5% (also not listed) and added to no 9 to make the Coleta Total (no18) from which, as Red Eric states are deductions for e-faturas. I still don't know what Importância apurada (no 11) is and why quociente familiar (no 10) is redacted so Red Eric please could you help with those and also confirm if my understanding of the other bits is correct. Thanks
Old Aug 20th 2021, 1:53 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Fluffyhead
I still don't know what Importância apurada (no 11) is and why quociente familiar (no 10) is redacted so Red Eric please could you help with those and also confirm if my understanding of the other bits is correct. Thanks
When you say line 10 is redacted, I assume you're only referring to the amount column of that line. There won't ever be an amount to go in there- it's just an information line relevant to the rest of the calculation, so it'll read either 1 or 2, depending on whether you're declaring individually or as a couple and then the marginal rate applicable to the income as shown on line 9.

"Importância apurada" is line 9 multiplied by the tax percentage and divided by the quotiente familiar, both shown on line 10.

The 4,104€ deduction on line 2 is one that applies to both earned income and to pensions. It's been pegged to a value set 10 years or so ago but may rise some time in the future.

Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:02 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by ricko
Last year I was relying on mail-forwarding, so that was one that obviously didn't get through.
You can view it through your account on the Finanças Portal if you need or want to.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
In my opinion, it would be best for you if you could understand roughly how the final figure's been arrived at, for the sake of peace of mind.

I'm guessing "Rendimento global" is the figure you recognise as your total income. If there's a figure in "Deduções especificas" it's an allowance or allowances on the income, deducted from the above to arrive at the taxable amount, which is labelled "Rendimento coletável". Once that's been through the mangle, you get the gross tax due in the "Coleta total" line, from which is deducted "Deduções à coleta" - these are the amounts you can see on your e-fatura page, relating to expenditures in various categories where you've asked fo,r or been supplied with, a receipt with your NIF associated.

I think those would be the chief influences in most cases - does that help a bit in clarifying things or are there other mystery figures that could do with an explanation?
Thanks, that's very helpful.
Actually, it is row 8 that I recognise.
Row 14 appears to be the difference between rows 11 and 12.
The translation for row 14 (tax corresponding to exempt income) looks like an oxymoron to me.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

Red Eric, Many Thanks for clarifying what the Quotiente familiar and Importância apurada are all about. However, it's led me to more questions! I notice that the Importância apurada is exactly half of the Deduções à coleta so I don't think that is about e-faturas as I have looked at a previous year and it's the same story. Also, why if we are a couple, do we only get the 4104 deducted once? I had assumed that it was because only one of us has a pension in the Rendimento global and no other income there.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TonyJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We (as a couple) have never been able to work out what it all means but this year I think I've finally managed to work out how they worked out the tax due, but I'm still not sure!

Rendimento global (no1) isn't our total income but ONLY my pension and Deduções especificas (no 2) is always 4104 and is deducted from no 1 to give an amount that is taxed at 14% (no 6). We also have rental income from the UK which isn't actually listed on the Demonstração de Liquidação but is taxed at 28.5% (also not listed) and added to no 9 to make the Coleta Total (no18) from which, as Red Eric states are deductions for e-faturas. I still don't know what Importância apurada (no 11) is and why quociente familiar (no 10) is redacted so Red Eric please could you help with those and also confirm if my understanding of the other bits is correct. Thanks
Depending on values etc - sometimes it is best to have the rents taxed as per the tax tables - you should do a simulation, or have your accountant do a simulation. Unless you have substantial rental income, it appears to me that you should have opted to be taxed on the rental income as per the tax tables - you are still in time to substitute the 2020 tax return (though may have to pay a small tax penalty to do this)
Old Aug 20th 2021, 6:05 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric, Many Thanks for clarifying what the Quotiente familiar and Importância apurada are all about. However, it's led me to more questions! I notice that the Importância apurada is exactly half of the Deduções à coleta so I don't think that is about e-faturas as I have looked at a previous year and it's the same story. Also, why if we are a couple, do we only get the 4104 deducted once? I had assumed that it was because only one of us has a pension in the Rendimento global and no other income there.
No, line 19 is "Deduções a coleta" and that is what relates to efaturas.

Line 18 is "Coleta total" which for a couple will be double "Importancia apurada" if there's nothing else in between. The Rendimento total is divided by the quotient familiar to determine the rate of tax, and the amount per person shows in "Importancia apurada"

You're correct about the 4,104 deduction - if you both had either pension or earned income, you'd get it twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.