Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Novels based in Portugal

Novels based in Portugal

Old May 24th 2018, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novels based in Portugal

Originally Posted by sidgold
Hello Again GeniB, I just wondered... when you were in Olhas de Agua did you go on the beach at low water & see the "Eyes Of The Water"?

No I didn't, and I haven't a clue what that means... Do tell. sounds interesting
Old May 24th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You're a bit of a scribbler, aren't you GeniB?

Have you ever been tempted to write a trilogy or would that be a bit daunting?
I have just finished my fourth book Eric. I do think long saga's would be a little beyond my talents. I admire people who can juggle all that information.

Have you ever thought of writing Eric ?
Old May 24th 2018, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sidgold
Hello GeniB, I just wanted to ask you what you what you thought of Olhas de Agua & if you enjoyed your stay there. Its much quieter than other locations on the Algarve and quite unique, a beautiful spot. Best Regards Keith.

I live near Praia da Luz Keith ,more or less permanently So I was just visiting for the day.. I however seem to remember that my family stayed there many yrs ago. I didn't recognise anywhere though, so I am not sure..
Old May 25th 2018, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
No I didn't, and I haven't a clue what that means... Do tell. sounds interesting
Hello GeniB, Thank you for your earlier reply.- The name Olhas de Agua literally means "Eyes Of The Water" and if you walk down the beach away from the cliffs and the fishing boats, right down into the surf, you can often see the fresh water underground streams bubbling up through the sands. Its definitely worth a look. Best Regards Keith.
Old May 25th 2018, 6:31 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished my fourth book Eric. I do think long saga's would be a little beyond my talents. I admire people who can juggle all that information.
Have you written anything set in Portugal?

Have you ever thought of writing Eric ?
I manage the odd letter to my Mum
Old May 25th 2018, 10:30 am
Just Joined

johnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Following on from tonisdad's ribbing, I feel as though I need to clarify that I am not Keith Heaton, just an avid bookworm with a love for travelling. Having visited Portugal on numerous occasions I have read a number of books set in and around this beautiful country. Besides from Keith Keaton's sterling trilogy, I have also enjoyed "300 Days of Sun" by Deborah Lawrenson, "The High Mountains of Portugal" by Yann Martel and "Tango in Madeira" by Jim Williams. It's great to see you on here Keith, thank you for engaging with your audience and keep up the good work.

Best wishes

John
Old May 25th 2018, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you written anything set in Portugal?

I manage the odd letter to my Mum

Ha! yes I did try and tackle a Romantic/ Crime novel set partly in Portugal...It started out as an idea as to how a Portuguese police officer might react to a member of his own family being caught up in the violence and madness of the drunken tourist scene which blights our towns and villages so often in the summer months. It then careered off into a totally weird crime novel.....The wonderful side effects of using the imagination.
Old May 25th 2018, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary,

Forgot about the other Robert Wilson book set in Lisbon " The Company of Strangers"
Also Maria Duenas "The Seamstress" which was made into an excellent TV drama a few years ago in Spain, Takes you through Madrid to Morocco ,back to Madrid and onto Lisbon.
Old May 26th 2018, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rosemary
My reading list is getting longer and longer, thank you.

Rosemary
Just thought...How could I forget the most important book I have read since coming to Portugal The book written by Len Ports old 'partner in crime 'and fellow journalist Peter Daughtrey (they started the Algarve Resident and Portugal News together I believe)
I was lucky enough to meet Peter and talk about his book 'Atlantis and the Silver city.' (Plus study a large scale map he had brought with him !! )
..It represents years of research by him on the possibility that the Algarve formed part of the ancient.mythical Atlantis. That Silves (silver city ) was its capital...
Whether you believe it or not ( some people are adamant that it is the island of Santorini ,but thats amongst many other ideas that don't make much sense in view of Plato's descriptions of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics on the walls of temples describing Atlantis + other accounts of it being 'Beyond the pillars of Hercules ')
Its a wonderful tour de force,which will have you searching local museums, studying large ancient stones, and even looking out to sea and musing on the huge 'shelf ' of land that fell away into the ocean after the massive earthquake of 9BC... Maybe you can tell that I loved this book and was only sorry that Peter couldn't remain in his beloved Algarve to promote and peruse his dream.. He had to return to the UK for personal reasons after a 30 yr career here.

Last edited by GeniB; May 26th 2018 at 7:33 am.
Old May 26th 2018, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

johnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

For anyone who's interested I've found some great books that are based in Portugal. Some good reads on this list that I found on Amazon.
  • "Death On The Algarve: Eyes Of The Water" by Keith Heaton is currently free to download for the Kindle.
  • "A Small Death in Lisbon" by Robert Wilson is pricey at £7.49 for the Kindle, but you can pick up a used Hardcover for £0.01.
  • "300 Days of Sun" by Deborah Lawson is on sale at 75% off list price at £2.99.
  • "The High Mountains of Portugal" by Yann Martel is on sale at 42% off list price at £5.22.
  • "Night Train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier is cheapest to buy as a secondhand paperback at £2.71.
Best wishes

John

Last edited by johnhopkins; May 26th 2018 at 4:13 pm.
Old May 26th 2018, 8:37 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just a coincidence that the first of the John Hopkins Keith Heaton trilogy in the above post is free to download for Kindle?
Old May 26th 2018, 8:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just a coincidence that the first of the John Hopkins Keith Heaton trilogy in the above post is free to download for Kindle?
I believe that it is only free on Kindle Unlimited which is 7.99 a month.

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

West of Kent is an unknown quantity at this point

Another couple are "Alentejo Blue" by Monica Ali (2006), set in a fictional Portuguese village, and "Revolution Number One" by Zin Murphy (2017), set in Lisbon in the turbulent 1970s.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi folks

Recently I was annoyed that due to the no advertising rule I had to delete a thread regarding novels. As I am an avid reader I felt very uncomfortable doing this so thought that I would open a thread asking whether there are many novels written that are set in the various areas of Portugal.

Ones that I know about are by Keith Heaton
1. Death on the Algarve (Eyes of the Water)
2. Uncle Joe´s Revenge (Death on the Cut)
3. Devoid of Guilt (A Portugese Harvest of Death)

Although I have not had time to read any of them at the moment I plan to soon.

Have any of you read these?

Rosemary
Here is an article from the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...reading-guide/
Old Jun 30th 2018, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

stephan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is also a quite funny, if a little bit stereotype-ridden, book by Richard Hewitt called "A cottage in Portugal",... and I believe there is a follow up, called "Return to Portugal" or something similar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.