Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Novels based in Portugal

Novels based in Portugal

Old May 17th 2018, 9:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Novels based in Portugal

Hi folks

Recently I was annoyed that due to the no advertising rule I had to delete a thread regarding novels. As I am an avid reader I felt very uncomfortable doing this so thought that I would open a thread asking whether there are many novels written that are set in the various areas of Portugal.

Ones that I know about are by Keith Heaton
1. Death on the Algarve (Eyes of the Water)
2. Uncle Joe´s Revenge (Death on the Cut)
3. Devoid of Guilt (A Portugese Harvest of Death)

Although I have not had time to read any of them at the moment I plan to soon.

Have any of you read these?

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2018, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novels based in Portugal

No. Havn't read those. I have read "The High Mountains of Portugal" by Yann Martel. Bit of a strange story though.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:12 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toots sweet
No. Havn't read those. I have read "The High Mountains of Portugal" by Yann Martel. Bit of a strange story though.
I sometimes find that even if a story is strange if it is set in a particular area that people can relate to it, was this the case?

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2018, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I sometimes find that even if a story is strange if it is set in a particular area that people can relate to it, was this the case?

Rosemary
Very true! We have particularly enjoyed tracking down locations in Budapest referred to in the historical works that we have read. Last week, by chance, we came across the house once owned by Count Almássy (The real English Patient).
Old May 17th 2018, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

"A Small Death in Lisbon" by Robert Wilson is very good, set WW2 . For a non-fiction version excellent is "Lisbon, War in the Shadow of City of the Light 1939 - 1945."

Particularly agree with Expatrick's comment, we travelled around Rumania after reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova and then Barcelona after reading "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.
Old May 17th 2018, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Rosemary.... Night train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier... Loved this book.. sadly did not love the film they made of it with Jeremy Irons in it...
Also local writer /reporter Len Ports account of the Algarve... People in a place Apart...

As to other places I came upon a series of crime novels quite by accident .. set in the San Juan Islands where my ED lives. I have loved reading them because I know the places and even some of the people...
Old May 18th 2018, 6:39 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I Like it Here by Kingsley Amis is a good read.
Old May 18th 2018, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Yes a bit .Set in early 20thC if I remember correctly and is about a man's journey in a car to the north of Portugal. Gives an idea of Portuguese way of life then and the local life of the villagers and their attitude to strangers.. Possibly it hasn't changed a great deal in some of those isolated villages.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2018 at 8:46 am. Reason: CORRECTED QUOTE
Old May 18th 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

johnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond reputejohnhopkins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I have read the first two books by Keith Heaton and am currently making my way through the third. The progression of the storyline through the trilogy has made for a great read and anyone that has been to the Algarve or spent much time in the North West of Lancashire would also find these books equally enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Best wishes

John
Old May 18th 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by johnhopkins
Hi all,

I have read the first two books by Keith Heaton and am currently making my way through the third. The progression of the storyline through the trilogy has made for a great read and anyone that has been to the Algarve or spent much time in the North West of Lancashire would also find these books equally enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Best wishes

John
Great to have the books recommended. I am hoping that we can entice Keith to post on here and perhaps tell us just how much research he had to do in the areas that he has written about. Many authors use false names of places which is unfortunate because most of us like to imagine the events occurring and this is much easier if we have either visited the area or if we visit after reading novels.

Rosemary
Old May 18th 2018, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for taking an interest in the novels.-
In answer to your earlier questions, yes I have based the storyline on actual places & place names. I love the Algarve, it is one of the most beautiful and exciting but at the same time wild and rugged places in the world. The story begins in Olhas de Agua close to Albufeira and for anyone who knows or is visiting this area I hope and trust that you will be able to relate to my descriptions of this wonderful location.
Please ask me anything else you wish but of course I do not want to give too much away about the actual storyline.
Thanks again for your interest. Best Regards. Keith.
Old May 19th 2018, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnhopkins
Hi all,

Best wishes

John
Ooh that sounds interesting as I come from the North West of Lancashire.! Thanks John I will look him up
Old May 19th 2018, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sidgold
Hello Everyone,
Thank you for taking an interest in the novels.-
In answer to your earlier questions, yes I have based the storyline on actual places & place names. I love the Algarve, it is one of the most beautiful and exciting but at the same time wild and rugged places in the world. The story begins in Olhas de Agua close to Albufeira and for anyone who knows or is visiting this area I hope and trust that you will be able to relate to my descriptions of this wonderful location.
Please ask me anything else you wish but of course I do not want to give too much away about the actual storyline.
Thanks again for your interest. Best Regards. Keith.
Thank you for coming online Keith.. Just been to Olhas to visit an Artist I know who lives there.... Are your books available on Kindle?
Old May 19th 2018, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There, Thank you for your interest. Yes they are available on Kindle. I hope you enjoy. Keith.
Old May 19th 2018, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Hello Again GeniB, I just wondered... when you were in Olhas de Agua did you go on the beach at low water & see the "Eyes Of The Water"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.