Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Non EU wife to travel to UK.

Non EU wife to travel to UK.

Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non EU wife to travel to UK.

Originally Posted by captainflack
When we first came into the EU to live, after 8 years in Dubai, we came first into Amsterdam, with an onward flight to Portugal.The border guard asked about purpose of visit to my wife and we said that we were on our way to live in Portugal. He said that to issue her a Schengen visa, she needed onward ticket or return. I explained that she did not because she was an EU family member. He took us out back (including our two small kids) so he could look things up. He checked Schengen rules and said there was nothing saying she didn't need return or onward flight, I explained he was reading wrong rules, and he needed to check freedom of movement. He went off, made a call, and came back with her passport stamped for 90 days, and said we needed to register for residency within 90 days in Portugal, which we confirmed we knew already.So it is true that many border guards around the EU don't know the rules, not just the UK.However, the guy was extremely polite and professional at all times. He never came across as arrogant or condescending even though I was telling him the rules, he took us out back and went off to read the rules, and when didn't find what he needed and I indicated he was reading the wrong book, he called someone and got the right answer. We were there about 5-10 minutes. A big contrast to over an hour at Luton, where the border staff were rude, arrogant, laughed at me sarcastically when I politely explained why my wife should be treated under EU rules, not UK rules.Being polite and respectful to people doesn't take 5 GCSEs.
You have to understand that if it is not in their guidline book then you can mention the EU as often as you like but UK laws and rules come first..
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:49 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

On a previous visit we had from UK to Dubai, my wife was refused entry. The border officer took her and me off separately, and later came back and told me that she was refusing my wife because she was 'not happy' with what I was telling her. Specifically, I claimed to own a company in Dubai 50/50 with my brother, and she 'knew a little about Dubai' and that you must have a foreign partner, therefore she concluded I was lying.Now obviously I was telling the truth, it was a free zone company where 100% foreign ownership is permitted. Why did she think my business arrangements in Dubai were even relevant? I had a residence stamp in my passport for Dubai, with the freezone on it, it said 'Director' as my job title. Why would I lie about my ownership of a company to her, when it had no relevance?She also told me that I might think my relationship was genuine but that these girls from Brazil try all sorts of things to get in the country, before adding that girls from other countries also do.This is not just a question of training or funding. The British border agency is staffed by people who are rude, obnoxious, convinced of their own infallibility. Sure you can blame the organization for employing them, or the goverment for not managing it right. But it does not change the fact that the people working there are ignorant ars3holes.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 7:57 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
You have to understand that if it is not in their guidline book then you can mention the EU as often as you like but UK laws and rules come first..
Have you read their rules? I have. The EU rules are part of UK laws, and they take precedence. The UK cannot pass laws or enact rules that violate obligations under EU law. All these cases, such family members of British people living in another EU being able to use their residence card in place of a visa are detailed in the rules. Do you wonder why in Ukkram's case, they apparently know that his wife being South African needs a visa.... but not that as a spouse of a British citizen living in another EU country, she doesn't because she has a state issued residence card?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 8:14 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
Have you read their rules? I have. The EU rules are part of UK laws, and they take precedence. The UK cannot pass laws or enact rules that violate obligations under EU law. All these cases, such family members of British people living in another EU being able to use their residence card in place of a visa are detailed in the rules. Do you wonder why in Ukkram's case, they apparently know that his wife being South African needs a visa.... but not that as a spouse of a British citizen living in another EU country, she doesn't because she has a state issued residence card?
You do not understand the UK physcie, the Border force is regarded as the front line and is part of the UK security structure being under the jurisdiction of the Home office.
They are not there to hold the gate to the UK open to anyone who wants to come in.
The front line staff will be among those in the lowest grade and pay scales, they are not immigration lawyers.
Putting it simply the UK population would rather you suffered a little inconvenience than let anyone who claims the right of entry into the UK.
Both your and Ukrams spouse did obtain entry when you proved the right to come to the UK so the system does work.

Last edited by EMR; Sep 29th 2015 at 8:22 am.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

The main argument is that the new regulation was passed on 6 April and tabled c 17 April. Surely Home Office had enough time (5months) to inform Border Control of this or their management could by now have instructed their staff on this.
Were we really the first people to enter Bristol with this situation?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:17 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Ukkram
The main argument is that the new regulation was passed on 6 April and tabled c 17 April. Surely Home Office had enough time (5months) to inform Border Control of this or their management could by now have instructed their staff on this.
Were we really the first people to enter Bristol with this situation?
Maybe so but the fault is not that of those who have to deal with tens thousands a day at the various entry points into the UK but if there is a problems with the management and training.
Bristol is primarly a hoilday airport and not a major point of entry of non UK or Non EU citizens. the same applies to Luton.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 9:10 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

Originally Posted by EMR
Maybe so but the fault is not that of those who have to deal with tens thousands a day at the various entry points into the UK but if there is a problems with the management and training. Bristol is primarly a hoilday airport and not a major point of entry of non UK or Non EU citizens. the same applies to Luton.
When I came through Luton with my wife, it was not busy. Even if it was, that does not excuse them not knowing the rules when I explained things to them.Luton is a major entry point for flights from the EU, and as such it will be a major gateway both for EU nationals entering the UK, and British people resident in the EU returning to the UK with their families.I do not expect the border force to 'hold the door open'. I do expect them to know that they must admit family members of British citizens who hold a valid EU ID document which grants them guaranteed entry.Apparently the border guards are smart enough to know that a South African needs a visa for the UK, but not that they don't if they are a family member of an EU national or British person exercising treaty rights in the EU. You're assuming that their poor intelligence and inability to know the rules is some kind of security measure, because they'll probably be turning people away. But you don't know how much they're screwing up at the other end of the scale, who they're letting in who they should not. Do you really want to rely on having imbeciles holding the door, and just hoping the worst that will happen is a few legit tourists or visitors get turned away?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 9:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you're going to get anyone to agree with you EMR. Simply put if you're an UK immigration officer and you know less about the UK Immigration Rules than the person in front of you trying to enter the UK then something has gone badly wrong.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 6:45 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I don't think you're going to get anyone to agree with you EMR. Simply put if you're an UK immigration officer and you know less about the UK Immigration Rules than the person in front of you trying to enter the UK then something has gone badly wrong.
The problem is if you are right the training not with the indivuduals.
You shoulld address your complaints to the home office and not take it out on soneone probably earning far less than you and doing a pretty boring job.

Last edited by EMR; Sep 30th 2015 at 6:48 am.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EMR
Maybe so but the fault is not that of those who have to deal with tens thousands a day at the various entry points into the UK but if there is a problems with the management and training.
Bristol is primarly a hoilday airport and not a major point of entry of non UK or Non EU citizens. the same applies to Luton.
This post was not thought through at all. Bristol has flights from national and the EU.
They should be more knowledgeable on EU residency cards than Heathrow that mostly deals with long distance international flights. I am sure most people flying in from the EU would use Ryanair or Easyjet that use Bristol and Luton.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:34 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Ukkram
This post was not thought through at all. Bristol has flights from national and the EU.
They should be more knowledgeable on EU residency cards than Heathrow that mostly deals with long distance international flights. I am sure most people flying in from the EU would use Ryanair or Easyjet that use Bristol and Luton.
Yes but few, very few indeed would travel with circumstances such as yours.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Yes but few, very few indeed would travel with circumstances such as yours.
So it's their fault and they deserve to be treated badly!

EMR Don't employees have a responsibility to learn how to do their jobs properly? Do you really believe that ignorance and incompetence is acceptable?
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:03 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Naaling
So it's their fault and they deserve to be treated badly!

EMR Don't employees have a responsibility to learn how to do their jobs properly? Do you really believe that ignorance and incompetence is acceptable?
As I keep saying ,it is the Home office who are responsible for the training and management of the border office.
It is the home office that complaints should be directed at.
If the frontbline staff are not given the correct training and information they are not to be blamed.
They are not immigration lawyers.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

No they're not,but they don't need to make a decision,but they do need to know the rules.If you work in the corner shop you need to know the rules.Because a job i s supposedly boring or low paid is NO excuse.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:00 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by toots sweet
No they're not,but they don't need to make a decision,but they do need to know the rules.If you work in the corner shop you need to know the rules.Because a job i s supposedly boring or low paid is NO excuse.
Then complain to the Home office, it is responsible for their training
If the Home office does not think it is important that they know all the changes to EU regs then the staff at passport control are not to blame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.