No IMI

Old Apr 26th 2022, 11:05 am
Just Joined

sjjhow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No IMI

Hi, I haven't received my IMI this year. It usually comes in early April. They have the wrong UK address for me, which I have tried to change but they say I need to go into an office with ID. Due to Covid, I haven't been able to travel to Portugal but I'm looking at spending this summer there. Usually, I would log into the portaldasfinancas.gov.pt and pay the IMI using the details provided, but this year, there is nothing showing. I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago through the portal, but have heard nothing. This is very frustrating as I want to have this pay and want to avoid late payment fees. I am checking portaldasfinancas.gov.pt every few days to see if the bill is there. So far, nothing.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No IMI

We haven't had ours yet either, maybe just slightly later than usual, don't think it is anything to be too concerned about

Better than Italy, where we have a small place - we just recently received the bill for 2021, so about a year late. Last year we paid (due to confusion and mess ups) a very late bill from 2014 and got charged about 3 euros in added interest payments. You get so used to draconian, profit making "penalties" in the UK that you forget the rest of the world doesn't always work like that

Old Apr 26th 2022, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

They have terrible late fees here in Portugal too; but if the charge doesn't show on your financas web portal page, then it hasn't been issued yet, and you're not at fault.

The danger is if you forget to keep checking, the charge gets posted and you don't see it until after the due date.

Ten they GOTCHA (again).
Old Apr 26th 2022, 12:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the bill should be generated by 30th April and payment (or 1st instalment, where applicable) is due by 31st May.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to respond. This has reassured me. Who would have thought I had to beg for a bill to be issued? Usually the other way round here in England! LOL.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Will they still post bills to UK addresses now that UK residents need to appoint a fiscal representative in Portugal?
Old Apr 26th 2022, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris View Post
Will they still post bills to UK addresses now that UK residents need to appoint a fiscal representative in Portugal?
According to our solicitor, but then again who actually knows, this year will be the last year of sending bills to UK, you believe what you want to.

In an unprecedented act our solicitor has taken our details and has stated she will act as our Fiscal Rep at no cost!!!!

I should add though she is our conveyancing solicitor so if we sell pretty quickly it won't really impact on her .

Personally speaking, and probably the wrong place to say this, but I can't wait to sell up and cut ties with Portugal.

I realise a lot of people on here (it is a Portuguese Board and I respect your preference) will have a very different opinion but I seem to have fell out of love with the place.

I fully realise this post may get deleted by the moderator as it appears anti Portuguese, however it isn't, it is just that the country holds nothing for us now.

Old Apr 26th 2022, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko View Post
According to our solicitor, but then again who actually knows, this year will be the last year of sending bills to UK, you believe what you want to.

In an unprecedented act our solicitor has taken our details and has stated she will act as our Fiscal Rep at no cost!!!!

I should add though she is our conveyancing solicitor so if we sell pretty quickly it won't really impact on her .

Personally speaking, and probably the wrong place to say this, but I can't wait to sell up and cut ties with Portugal.

I realise a lot of people on here (it is a Portuguese Board and I respect your preference) will have a very different opinion but I seem to have fell out of love with the place.

I fully realise this post may get deleted by the moderator as it appears anti Portuguese, however it isn't, it is just that the country holds nothing for us now.
What's right for other people isn't right for you, that's OK and why would we resent you saying it?
You didn't say that Portugal is a terrible place, just that it's not the right place for you. I have that feeling about the UK now
Old Apr 26th 2022, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT View Post
What's right for other people isn't right for you, that's OK and why would we resent you saying it?
You didn't say that Portugal is a terrible place, just that it's not the right place for you. I have that feeling about the UK now
Thanks Alan, have been widely lambasted in the past for sticking up for the UK on here.

After 17 years I think we have realised "there is no place like home"

No detriment to anybody who has permanently made the switch, it seems, just not for us.

We are all different people and what may work out for some, may not for others.

Good luck to you all.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjjhow View Post
Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to respond. This has reassured me. Who would have thought I had to beg for a bill to be issued? Usually the other way round here in England! LOL.
Just to say that we have received notification of the IMI just today (it is actually dated a week ago but sent via the CTT Via email system today!).
Old Apr 27th 2022, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I haven't received my IMI this year. It usually comes in early April. They have the wrong UK address for me, which I have tried to change but they say I need to go into an office with ID. Due to Covid, I haven't been able to travel to Portugal but I'm looking at spending this summer there. Usually, I would log into the portaldasfinancas.gov.pt and pay the IMI using the details provided, but this year, there is nothing showing. I sent them an email about 2 weeks ago through the portal, but have heard nothing. This is very frustrating as I want to have this pay and want to avoid late payment fees. I am checking portaldasfinancas.gov.pt every few days to see if the bill is there. So far, nothing.
Just keep checking on AT portal.
I think that usually they issue them in the second half of April, still no sign of the bill this year though...
Old Apr 27th 2022, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies.

No sooner than I post about this, then I check the electronic portal this morning, and there it is! Never did I think I'd be so happy to see a bill. But I've been chasing it for weeks.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chislenko View Post
Thanks Alan, have been widely lambasted in the past for sticking up for the UK on here.

After 17 years I think we have realised "there is no place like home"

No detriment to anybody who has permanently made the switch, it seems, just not for us.

We are all different people and what may work out for some, may not for others.

Good luck to you all.
Hi Chislenko and Alan PT,

I think your comments are great and fair. Many of us see Portugal as a dream destination but, of course, there are problems when the holiday stops, and the day to day living kicks in. If you do leave Portugal and come back permanently to the UK, please be prepared for exorbitant gas and electricity prices. It's literally gone through the roof for us. And the property rental market is not good (very little available and high prices). Maybe it's better if you're looking to buy.

Having lived abroad in France for many years, I understand the "burnout" kicks in after a while. The lure of living in a hot climate, the different sights and smells, fades. I was living in a small village near Perpignan and I began to miss London. It happens. I can't think why now, now that I'm in my 40s. But that's what I thought then.

Since buying in Portugal in 2013, we have spent long holidays at our home in the mountains but haven't been there since Nov 2019, before Covid. We are really looking forward to going back this summer with my partner and our dogs, it's such a peaceful, calm place. The house is old and large and has some nice shady terraces and great views of the hills. We love it. It's so different and removed from our life here in England: the commuter town we live in now (North East England) and being able to nip down Tesco, or jump on a train into town, or order Amazon.

Be careful, think things through. Have you ever thought of renting out your home in Portugal and renting in the UK? Just to try it out, so nothing is too permanent? That way you keep your home in Portugal and can try out life in England again to see if it's for you without doing anything permanently.

My view is "you'll never know until you get there". Things aren't always as they seem.

If you do leave Portugal, I hope it works out for you in England and you are happy.

Last edited by sjjhow; Apr 27th 2022 at 10:26 am.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

My OH received his IMI notification via CTT portal yesterday..no sign of mine. Can't remember.... do they sent them out separately even for the same property?
Can never understand why they send out 2 invoices for one property. Just seems like so much extra paperwork and bureaucracy.
(OK ! need reminder......this is PT)
Old Apr 27th 2022, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Chislenko and Alan PT,

I think your comments are great and fair. Many of us see Portugal as a dream destination but, of course, there are problems when the holiday stops, and the day to day living kicks in. If you do leave Portugal and come back permanently to the UK, please be prepared for exorbitant gas and electricity prices. It's literally gone through the roof for us. And the property rental market is not good (very little available and high prices). Maybe it's better if you're looking to buy.

Having lived abroad in France for many years, I understand the "burnout" kicks in after a while. The lure of living in a hot climate, the different sights and smells, fades. I was living in a small village near Perpignan and I began to miss London. It happens. I can't think why now, now that I'm in my 40s. But that's what I thought then.

Since buying in Portugal in 2013, we have spent long holidays at our home in the mountains but haven't been there since Nov 2019, before Covid. We are really looking forward to going back this summer with my partner and our dogs, it's such a peaceful, calm place. The house is old and large and has some nice shady terraces and great views of the hills. We love it. It's so different and removed from our life here in England: the commuter town we live in now (North East England) and being able to nip down Tesco, or jump on a train into town, or order Amazon.

Be careful, think things through. Have you ever thought of renting out your home in Portugal and renting in the UK? Just to try it out, so nothing is too permanent? That way you keep your home in Portugal and can try out life in England again to see if it's for you without doing anything permanently.

My view is "you'll never know until you get there". Things aren't always as they seem.

If you do leave Portugal, I hope it works out for you in England and you are happy.
Thanks sjj.

We have never sold our UK property so we have no problems over somewhere to go back to.

I think age is one factor in our decision to sell up in Portugal, neither of us is getting any younger and I don't think either partner would want to leave the other alone should the worst happen and one of us pass.

We are not that good with British legalities, let alone Portuguese 🙂

One of your comments does ring true though, perhaps the way of life is "too slow" for us and we miss the busyness of Britain.

Enjoy your trip in the summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.