Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR Status Registration

NHR Status Registration

Old Dec 21st 2019, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Steed3003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHR Status Registration

Read carefully the forum and wanted to ask what have been the experience of members regarding NHR status. I'm currently evaluating our different relocation options and Portugal is amongst our options, mostly due to NHR status. I would fit the criterias for the status but fear for X or Y reason could have it denied. Read for instance on a website that the tax returns for the last 5 years were requested to show that I wasn't a resident in Portugal but since my only income is work income and that is taxed at source, won't have any.

From what I read online and on this forum, the process to obtain NHR status is relatively straightforward : get residence in Portugal through rental or purchasing, obtain the fiscal number, open the tax account on Finanças website and then simply register for NHR status.

I read on another topic that the registration was simply three questions : That application is 3 simple questions on Financas website: when you came to Portugal, whether you have been a resident in any of the previous 5 years, and your nationality.

My fear is if I moved to Portugal, have a NHR status denied and since a resident already having to pay full taxes.

Wanted to ask the members of this forum that went through the process already feedback on their experiences and notably :

1) During registration process for NHR, were only these three questions asked or did you have to provide any additional documents?

2) Between registration completed and approval (or denial) how much time did it take?

3) Did you register straight away upon your arrival or did you wait for the deadline (31st of March next year after your arrival)?

4) Did you do it yourself or did you use help from a local accountant or lawyer?

5) Have you been denied NHR or do you know anyone that has been and for which reasons?

Portugal looks like a very interesting option but NHR is the main draw. And don't want to commit to relocation which will be a big investment if there is any risk that won't be able to get NHR....

Thank you all in advance for your help and feedback on your own experience with NHR!
Old Dec 21st 2019, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR Status Registration

Originally Posted by Steed3003
Read carefully the forum and wanted to ask what have been the experience of members regarding NHR status. I'm currently evaluating our different relocation options and Portugal is amongst our options, mostly due to NHR status. I would fit the criterias for the status but fear for X or Y reason could have it denied. Read for instance on a website that the tax returns for the last 5 years were requested to show that I wasn't a resident in Portugal but since my only income is work income and that is taxed at source, won't have any.

From what I read online and on this forum, the process to obtain NHR status is relatively straightforward : get residence in Portugal through rental or purchasing, obtain the fiscal number, open the tax account on Finanças website and then simply register for NHR status.

I read on another topic that the registration was simply three questions : That application is 3 simple questions on Financas website: when you came to Portugal, whether you have been a resident in any of the previous 5 years, and your nationality.

My fear is if I moved to Portugal, have a NHR status denied and since a resident already having to pay full taxes.

Wanted to ask the members of this forum that went through the process already feedback on their experiences and notably :

1) During registration process for NHR, were only these three questions asked or did you have to provide any additional documents?

2) Between registration completed and approval (or denial) how much time did it take?

3) Did you register straight away upon your arrival or did you wait for the deadline (31st of March next year after your arrival)?

4) Did you do it yourself or did you use help from a local accountant or lawyer?

5) Have you been denied NHR or do you know anyone that has been and for which reasons?

Portugal looks like a very interesting option but NHR is the main draw. And don't want to commit to relocation which will be a big investment if there is any risk that won't be able to get NHR....

Thank you all in advance for your help and feedback on your own experience with NHR!
One simple answer which may reassure you. When you become resident and acquire a Fiscal Number in order to make the NHR application you can go to your local Tax Office and, assuming you have not been resident in the last five years, they will issue you with a nil return for the period. This is automatically then recorded on the system

If you are resident here whole process relatively straight forward as it is a case of simply following a set procedure through the "Portal das Financas".
So
1. As i recall "yes" three questions including a dropdown for the country of previous residence
2. Takes about 10 days once you have registered on the website to get a password sent to your Portuguese residence
3. Armed with password and access the NHR process takes about 48 hours. When you check-back for update you should get a pdf , key word is "Deferida" which does not mean deferred it means approved.
4. Did it at end of tax year to cover first year of residence
5. No professional help - straightforward if you can read Portuguese
6. Do not know anyone denied but I believe on one thread someone did refer to a delay while they produced more information. No idea what.
Old Dec 21st 2019, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR Status Registration

If you have a fiscal number and residencia then it is as straightforward as you think, and no documents need be provided, it is, in fact, even easier than importing a car- Definitely don't waste your time or money on professional help. You could, as it were, make a semi-commitment, by renting a property and obtaining your Residencia from that address, and subsequently the NHR.

However, I do not see why you should be denied this. Whilst we were not asked these questions and I think it incredibly unlikely that you would have to provide such supporting documents, do you have any evidence of living anywhere else prior to coming to Portugal? This could be in the way of bank statements , credit card statements, electricity bills, and tax returns, council tax bills, benefit statements....and so on. And if what you want is missing, the provider would, I am sure, be able to obtain duplicates from the relevant institutions for a (modest) fee. The authorities do not adopt a forensic attitude. As far as timescales are concerned, it is definitely wise in this country to act as early as you can, as some bureaucratic tasks can drag on. But are you worrying unnecessarily? Is there anything in your situation that would suggest that you might indeed trip over the rules?

On a different tack, Portugal is in all ways a wonderful place, irrespective of NHR. Welcoming people, an excellent climate, strong history and interesting culture. Housing is affordable and living is relatively cheap. I see the whole NHR thing as a welcome bonus, rather than a central reason to make this our home.

Last edited by Diddion; Dec 21st 2019 at 1:32 pm.