Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR application without accountant

NHR application without accountant

Old May 26th 2018, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR application without accountant

The situation is country specific.
In general, investment income is exempt under NHR, if it doesn't involve any Portuguese funds, and is taxable in the country of origin (or another country).
In that case, is it true that mutual funds held in the USA would be taxed by the USA but not Portugal?
Old May 27th 2018, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
In that case, is it true that mutual funds held in the USA would be taxed by the USA but not Portugal?
I'm not familiar with US mutual funds.
It would depend on US tax law and the details of any DTA.
Old May 27th 2018, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Furfanus Postumus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses. If one were to delay establishing residence in PT until 1 Jan 2019 (greedy to get the full 10 years benefit), then to apply for NHR status (for upcoming PT tax year 2019) 3 months later (or earlier if allowed), say by end March 2019, might there be any risk that the scheme had by then been scrapped? There were lots of scare stories about recently that finance minister about to scrap it/amend it. When would the budget speech have to be to scrap NHR for 2019? It seems the 2018 budget was voted on in parliament on November 27 2017, so I assume Nov 2018 will be the date which will determine the fate of the NHR scheme for 2019 and beyond? So get in pre that date if risk averse, else hang on till after if you like living dangerously?
Old May 27th 2018, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Furfanus Postumus
Thanks for all the responses. If one were to delay establishing residence in PT until 1 Jan 2019 (greedy to get the full 10 years benefit), then to apply for NHR status (for upcoming PT tax year 2019) 3 months later (or earlier if allowed), say by end March 2019, might there be any risk that the scheme had by then been scrapped? There were lots of scare stories about recently that finance minister about to scrap it/amend it. When would the budget speech have to be to scrap NHR for 2019? It seems the 2018 budget was voted on in parliament on November 27 2017, so I assume Nov 2018 will be the date which will determine the fate of the NHR scheme for 2019 and beyond? So get in pre that date if risk averse, else hang on till after if you like living dangerously?
For 2018 you can apply up to March 2019. Arriving in January 2019 you would not have to declare until April 2020 , hence the possibility to do the application until March of the year following arrival. Yes there have been reports in the press about potential amendments to the rules but rather than scrappage the focus has been on imposing a new low rate of tax , 5% or 10% hardly alarming considering the benefits. Personally I do not see that happening, in a separate report the Finance Ministry gave a summary of the benefits to the economy of the NHR scheme being tax taken , VAT etc, more than covered the tax losses through granting NHR status. At the end of the day we are talking about relatively insignificant numbers, less than 15,000 take up I think is the figure from last year.
Old May 27th 2018, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Furfanus Postumus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Loafing Along, so I assume any alteration would be made in the November 2018 budget, which would affect any future applications made in respect of the 2019 PT tax year?
Old May 28th 2018, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Naaling
The situation is country specific.
In general, investment income is exempt under NHR, if it doesn't involve any Portuguese funds, and is taxable in the country of origin (or another country).
If the investments are in mutual funds or stocks on the stock market and pays dividends then the dividends can be paid to either country but most likely left to the country of residence. The DTA however caps the tax on dividends at 15%.. NHR may relieve you of any tax here.
If it is taxed as a withholding tax then it may not be more than 15% and PT has no rights to tax it.

If you sell all or part of your investments and it has a capital gain then the gain can only be taxed by PT as it is a residency based tax. In this case having NHR will not provide any relief and you will pay 28% flat rate tax. This is due to the DTA that states "Capital Gains Tax is only payable to the contracting state in which the alienator is resident".
Old May 28th 2018, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ricko
It depends on whether you are a US citizen or not but the US is known for it's draconian tax laws and a DTA as thick as a bible.
Most DTA's are virtually copy and paste bar USA and a few obscure ones. It has to be made simple to make cross border trading as easy as possible.
Old May 29th 2018, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article in Jornal de Negocios the other day.
https://www.jornaldenegocios.pt/econ...l-com-portugal

The move against NHR coming from other European countries who "resent" the fact their tax payers taking advantage of the scheme. In this case Finland. A question of principle not money according to the Finnish Finance Committee.
This is the type of move I believe poses a greater threat to the scheme than a Portuguese government rethink.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ash Jez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jacer56
For the NHR application, do you recommend paying an accountant to do it? Paying a lawyer to do it? Doing it myself?

I’m not concerned about the cost, but would rather do it myself, except if there are important subtelties that I could miss?

Has anyone ever applied for NHR and for it to be declined or have troubled because they did it incorrectly?

thanks!
I'm in the BTL business and applied for the NHR scheme. I almost came unstuck because I confused dates and got approved about 10 days before the deadline. I used an accountant and she arranged everything from applying for my login details, submitting the NHR request (approved), filling by tax return etc. Euros 40. Some online companies try to charge a thousand for ticking a box as that's all that is required. If anyone wants the accountant details, PM me. I've not met her as all was done via telephone and email and she deals with a good few Brits and speaks reasonable English.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Barney2201 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
I'm in the BTL business and applied for the NHR scheme. I almost came unstuck because I confused dates and got approved about 10 days before the deadline. I used an accountant and she arranged everything from applying for my login details, submitting the NHR request (approved), filling by tax return etc. Euros 40. Some online companies try to charge a thousand for ticking a box as that's all that is required. If anyone wants the accountant details, PM me. I've not met her as all was done via telephone and email and she deals with a good few Brits and speaks reasonable English.
Hi, newbie here.... We are looking to move as a family to Portugal using the NHR scheme to minimize our tax. Please can you ping me details of the accountant you used? Also, you say you 'got approved 10 days before the deadline'. As far as I am aware the NHR scheme is still available, is this not the case? Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:16 am
Just Joined

soloyolo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash Jez
Hi Ash,

I'm new to the site and am required to have posted publically on the message board at least three times before getting access to the private message feature... That being said I have sent you a message via your blog. Please, can you share details through there?

To anyone else - I'd have a look through Ash Jez's blog, its a really fun read.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 10:18 am
Just Joined

soloyolo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Did you have any luck finding a reasonably priced an accountant in the end? if so please can you share details? Hope the process went smoothly for you in the end.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Yes it is quite straightforward and you do not need an accountant you need to be able to read Portuguese so suggest you find a friendly Portuguese if your own language skills are not up to it.
There you enter your data, the year you are applying, country of origin for and tick a box.About 48 hours later through the menu "Consultar" - PedidoYou can check your status and there should be a pdf attached to download confirming NHR.
I've checked the online portal after 4 days and my status says "Deferido" does that mean that the NHR has been accepted? I was expected it to say some like "aceito"
Old Sep 25th 2018, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I've checked the online portal after 4 days and my status says "Deferido" does that mean that the NHR has been accepted? I was expected it to say some like "aceito"
Deferido means it's accepted. There should be a pdf you can download with it.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Deferido means it's accepted. There should be a pdf you can download with it.
There is a pdf, I shall print it out

Thank you for the prompt reply Loafing Along.

I just got my good Portuguese - English dictionary out and it does say the verb deferir means; to confer; to grant; to concede.

I should have gone straight to it instead of using Google Translate which says deferred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.