Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

NHR application without accountant

NHR application without accountant

Old May 17th 2018, 7:14 am
Just Joined

jacer56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHR application without accountant

For the NHR application, do you recommend paying an accountant to do it? Paying a lawyer to do it? Doing it myself?

I’m not concerned about the cost, but would rather do it myself, except if there are important subtelties that I could miss?

Has anyone ever applied for NHR and for it to be declined or have troubled because they did it incorrectly?

thanks!
Old May 17th 2018, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHR application without accountant

good question , lets hope some come along who have jumped through the hoops on their own with some guidelines , I know it'll help folk out (ie me as well as yourself)
Old May 17th 2018, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacer56
For the NHR application, do you recommend paying an accountant to do it? Paying a lawyer to do it? Doing it myself?

I’m not concerned about the cost, but would rather do it myself, except if there are important subtelties that I could miss?

Has anyone ever applied for NHR and for it to be declined or have troubled because they did it incorrectly?

thanks!
Yes it is quite straightforward and you do not need an accountant you need to be able to read Portuguese so suggest you find a friendly Portuguese if your own language skills are not up to it.
Having said that the process is as follows.

1. Apply online through the Finanzas site for an access password ( I assume you already have a NIF and Portuguese address ). Top right "Registar-se"
2. It normally takes about a week to 10 days to receive the password at your address.
3. With your NIF and the Password you can enter the Finanzas website
4. Once into the site you need "Cidadaos - Entregar "
https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...action?pai=154
Scroll down there is a specific menu : PEDIDO : There you enter your data, the year you are applying, country of origin for and tick a box.
About 48 hours later through the menu "Consultar" - Pedido You can check your status and there should be a pdf attached to download confirming NHR.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is quite straightforward and you do not need an accountant you need to be able to read Portuguese so suggest you find a friendly Portuguese if your own language skills are not up to it.
Having said that the process is as follows.
The information given looks very useful,
As regards needing to be able to read Portuguese, would using Google Translate be enough to use the website?
Old May 18th 2018, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko
The information given looks very useful,
As regards needing to be able to read Portuguese, would using Google Translate be enough to use the website?
Never tried
Old May 22nd 2018, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Furfanus Postumus is an unknown quantity at this point

On this topic, do you need to declare yourself as a member of one of the special employment classes listed in the NHR criteria, or can anyone apply? Exactly what data do you need to input on the screen? 22 years ago I resigned from the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to take up sheep farming on a smallholding in Devon (great decision, saved myself thousands in extortionate membership fees and never practised as an accountant since) so I could probably dig out my qualification certificate from 1990, if required to prove I was an auditor, one of the qualified categories.
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

You need to be practicing in the listed occupation within Portugal to get relief under NHR.
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

You sure about that ukkram??
I read it as being resident and tax resident in portugal and therefore makes no difference where you ply that trade ie you can work worldwide I can see no stipulation that thw work MUST be carried out in portugal , unless I've missed something
Old May 23rd 2018, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
You sure about that ukkram??
I read it as being resident and tax resident in portugal and therefore makes no difference where you ply that trade ie you can work worldwide I can see no stipulation that thw work MUST be carried out in portugal , unless I've missed something
The listed occupations are only relevant to obtaining the reduced 20% tax rate on Portuguese income.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes if you're resident in pt and the payment goes into your portuguese bank account , it matters not one jot where the work took place as long as the country in which it took place has no claim as to your residency there
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Furfanus Postumus is an unknown quantity at this point

Does one have to declare one's occupation / profession on the NHR on-line application? What if one is retired and not working? What if one intends to live off UK dividend income without salary / wages? Is one still entitled to NHR status? Can anyone remember the list of questions asked in the on-line application and repeat them here? That would be very useful. Looks like I'm going to do it via a professional advisor, don't want to mess up.
Old May 24th 2018, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Naaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond reputeNaaling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Furfanus Postumus
Does one have to declare one's occupation / profession on the NHR on-line application? What if one is retired and not working? What if one intends to live off UK dividend income without salary / wages? Is one still entitled to NHR status? Can anyone remember the list of questions asked in the on-line application and repeat them here? That would be very useful. Looks like I'm going to do it via a professional advisor, don't want to mess up.
If you are retired and do not have employment income, then the list of occupations is not relevant to you. However, you can still use NHR to avoid paying tax in Portugal on appropriate investment and pension income from overseas.The only information you have to enter on the website is the country you were last resident in, before coming to Portugal, and the year of your first Portuguese tax return.
Old May 24th 2018, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ukkram
You need to be practicing in the listed occupation within Portugal to get relief under NHR.
As to the above, you need to be resident in PT but can earn income worldwide. Sorry if I made you missunderstand.
Old May 24th 2018, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

However, you can still use NHR to avoid paying tax in Portugal on appropriate investment and pension income from overseas.
Could you please say what investment income would be exempt with NHR
Old May 25th 2018, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ricko
Could you please say what investment income would be exempt with NHR
The situation is country specific.
In general, investment income is exempt under NHR, if it doesn't involve any Portuguese funds, and is taxable in the country of origin (or another country).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.