Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New smoking laws in Portugal

New smoking laws in Portugal

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Cindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant futureCindy08 has a brilliant future
Default New smoking laws in Portugal

With the new law suppose to come into force 2008 what is the census of opinon.
1) do you think it will be like the Uk and be abided by
2) with so many GNR smokers will they turn a blind eye
3)will gnr enforce the law
4) how will it effect the resturants/ bars here in Portugal

It will be intersting to see what peoples veiws are on this here in portugal
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:49 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New smoking laws in Portugal

I gave up 9 months ago.

Smugerama
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If its anything like the Spanish law then it will have little effect in most bars, I think it is supposed to work on table area ?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
I gave up 9 months ago.

Smugerama
I gave up smoking when my misses got pregnant too, about 35 years ago, even smugger. lol
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:51 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

I smoke,where is that lepers bell
I think it will be observed in restaurants,we already have a few non smoking restaurants near us,and quite right too,but bars.............cant see it.
My local bar has put a sign up.saying 1st Jan blah blah,I asked her what she thought,a Portuguese shrug of the shoulders,and a doesnt really matter to me,and who is going to know?????
We will see,afterall,we can sit outside here 98 percent of the year.

There will be no bar staff to serve you,they will all be outside having a fag !!!

Last edited by Cleri; Dec 4th 2007 at 8:14 am.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

what I smoke cant be smoked in public anyway!

Seriously.....(for once) as a smoker im quite happy about it as I hope it will help me stop smoking as for me the time I really need a smoke is when I am out for a meal..........starters,wine.........smoke........m ain dish,wine.......smoke......desert( mouse de chocolate com um cherinho de whiskey.............sempre!),glass of Port......smokex2.

I doubt the GNR will enforce it like the U.K, certainly not in the villages/small towns. Drink driving seems acceptable so why would they bother about you having a smoke?!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:35 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I bloody loved smoking I did But to be honest, I could really feel the effects on my health and knew my smoking time would soon be up. I had developed one of those coughs that sound like someone choking on an oyster

Now that the little blokes here, I have every reason not to restart. However, not a day goes by when I don't miss it
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:47 pm

I bloody loved smoking I did But to be honest, I could really feel the effects on my health and knew my smoking time would soon be up. I had developed one of those coughs that sound like someone choking on an oyster:blink:

Now that the little blokes here, I have every reason not to restart. However, not a day goes by when I don't miss it
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:52 pm
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Drink driving seems acceptable so why would they bother about you having a smoke?!
Really?

I thought that was something they're almost paranoid about - or maybe that's just in the Algarve with all the Tourists?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
I smoke,where is that lepers bell
I think it will be observed in restaurants,we already have a few non smoking restaurants near us,and quite right too,but bars.............cant see it.
My local bar has put a sign up.saying 1st Jan blah blah,I asked her what she thought,a Portuguese shrug of the shoulders,and a doesnt really matter to me,and who is going to know?????
We will see,afterall,we can sit outside here 98 percent of the year.

There will be no bar staff to serve you,they will all be outside having a fag !!!
have to snigger at this as i work in a bar and im a smoker, yes i often nip outside for a smoke but it doesnt matter too much as most the customers are outside also having a smoke.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:05 pm

Really?

I thought that was something they're almost paranoid about - or maybe that's just in the Algarve with all the Tourists?
Well where I used to live it was safer to drive home pissed than walk....you were likely to get hit by a drunk driver
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:06 pm
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by Cleri
Well where I used to live it was safer to drive home pissed than walk....you were likely to get hit by a drunk driver
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by flipflop
have to snigger at this as i work in a bar and im a smoker, yes i often nip outside for a smoke but it doesnt matter too much as most the customers are outside also having a smoke.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: New smoking laws in Portugal

Officials from the Camara in Tavira have been and checked all premises and informed them what they need, apart from one bar I drink in the rest including the restaurants we use say that they are going no smoking as they cannot afford the price of installing the ventilation systems needed and even though they think it will be ages before anything is done after the ban comes in they do not want to take the chance on getting fined.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:26 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I bloody loved smoking I did But to be honest, I could really feel the effects on my health and knew my smoking time would soon be up. I had developed one of those coughs that sound like someone choking on an oyster

Mate, I haven't smoked for 21 years and still miss it.....started smoking age 10 though....misspent yoof...

ged, I might have to meet you when I come up that way - my fav uncle lives in Lagos now, but they spent many a year up the road from you in Sto. Tirso So much so that my younger cousin speaks like a Tripeiro to this day

Knowing the Port? They'll just continue as always..since when have they ever obeyed any rules/laws?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.