Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

My dog needs to see her vet in Almancil, from Spain :-(

My dog needs to see her vet in Almancil, from Spain :-(

Old Jun 11th 2020, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy My dog needs to see her vet in Almancil, from Spain :-(

My dogs vets is in Almancil, her appointment on the day of Spanish lockdown was cancelled. She now really needs to see him, I am wondering if it would be possible to cross the border for this reason ? who could tell me for sure whether it would be allowed ? I really don't want to wait any longer for her to see him. Thank you.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 6:31 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My dog needs to see her vet in Almancil, from Spain :-(

Aside from goods vehicles, movement across the land border is still restricted to only the following :

Nationals and authorised residents
Family reunion
Diplomatic and armed forces personnel, members of security services, health and emergency workers, rural firefighters
Access to health services covered by bilateral treaties
Seasonal workers with appropriate documentation

So until the 1st July, I'm afraid the answer almost certainly is no. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and I hope you manage to find an alternative on your side of the border if it can't wait.

If you want to check for official confirmation that the above is the case, I guess you could contact the border authorities direct.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I would go and check with the Guardia Civil in Ayamonte.

They believe they operate the border crossing at the VRSA bridge jointly with the Portuguese SEF.

They probably will be able to advise.

https://www.guardiacivil.es/en/insti..._ayamonte.html

Alternatively, why not try a local vet in your area. I'm sure they would be able to advise.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to use a local vet , the Animal Hopsital just outside Sevilla is excellent and not much further than coming to Almancil
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your helpful replies. I will check with the relevant authorities but not hopeful, pity they did not take pets in account in the rules. As to local vets in Ayamonte, either by own experience, or word of mouth from other pet owners there is not one I would use for anything other then supplies. I have been recommended to try one in Cartaya, comes highly recommended by a friend so that may be the way I have to go. Vets are like hairdressers, once you find one you like and trust you are not keen to change :-) thanks again.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
My dogs vets is in Almancil, her appointment on the day of Spanish lockdown was cancelled. She now really needs to see him, I am wondering if it would be possible to cross the border for this reason ? who could tell me for sure whether it would be allowed ? I really don't want to wait any longer for her to see him. Thank you.

So sorry about this ,but I see your post was some time ago so hopefully you have found a solution.? Spain has now opened its borders... but not to Portugal (at Lisbon's request )They will open on July 1st. Had it been me, I would have phoned my vet and asked for their advice, they could possible have recommended somewhere in Seville ( as was already suggested ) Hope you resolved the problem in any event .
Old Jun 24th 2020, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, yes I know about the borders, I am in Ayamonte, close to the bridge to Portugal. My vet was contacted regarding her health. We discussed her condition and her needs. He has not recommended anyone on the past, some people prefer not to. I am about 140 km from Sevilla. She has an appointment on the 1st July with her vet in Almancil :-)