Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

FARO PUBLIC HOSPITAL

FARO PUBLIC HOSPITAL

Old Jun 23rd 2020, 8:43 am
Just Joined

SONICYOUTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FARO PUBLIC HOSPITAL

I have an appointment at Faro hospital next week, but have never been there before. Looking for general help/advice....

Is it easy to park? Is it free or pay? Anywhere nearby that might be easier to park?
I have an appointment in Urology Dept, but will there still be a long waiting time ?
Is much English spoken?
General experience of the hospital.

Anything helps. Many thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FARO PUBLIC HOSPITAL

I do not know about the Hospital but I had treatment at The Dialysis Clinic in Faro. Not much English spoken. I found French more useful. Treatment was of a high standard and facilities better than the NHS in Scotland. Portugal is not a Third World Country ! And Portuguese is a World Language. Those living in the Portuguese-speaking sphere have little need to learn English, unless it is to deal with monoglot Anglophones
!

Last edited by scot47; Jun 23rd 2020 at 8:58 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Parking in the hospital grounds is a nightmare, your best bet is to park on one of the many roads nearby., There will be meters in some places.

Not sure where your clinic is, but go to the new building opposite urgençia. That's where you would normally pay for your appointment. It might be your clinic takes payment, but they will tell you. Best to get there about half an hour beforehand, so you can then find out where you're going. Take water and a book with you, it could be a long wait.

Most of the doctors speak English, some of the nurses, but not many of the admin staff, but you will manage. But I always found them helpful.

Best of luck.

Last edited by ouriquejan; Jun 23rd 2020 at 9:48 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

There is a pay car park oppoiste the entrance to the hospital , on the left as you drive up the street. We always use it as the amount of time you are at the hospital can be very variable. You need to take with your Utente number , normally on the appointment as they have check-in machine system in the Out patient area .If you struggle with it the woman on the desk will help.
The Out Patient area is quite a long walk from the main entrance , past Urgencias on the right . There is a terrace with a coffee bar ( I assume it is still functioning in current conditions ) .
Good recommendation about take a book and some water.
In the waiting area there is a screen with the room and patient number being treated, that will give you an idea of the queue.
Generally found the service excellent although it is helpful if you speak Portuguese
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

That car park gets full quite quickly though. My appointments were early in the morning, and we were normally able to park outside the entrance, giving a euro to the guy who kept spaces.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 8:22 am
Just Joined

SONICYOUTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, really useful.