Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to Portugal

Moving to Portugal

Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Johnofalbion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Portugal

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but as a Brit living in the USA who might have Brit /US dual citizenship next year then where does Brexit leave me if i want to retire to Portugal?
Do i enter Portugal for 90 days on my UK passport and apply for 'residency'. All informative links or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 6:46 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Portugal

You'll need to apply for a residency visa before arrival.

That'll be valid for a period of 4 months, during which tme you can exit and return once, and requires you to request a residence permit from the immigration authority here in Portugal.

Type of Visa and Residency should get you started.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 8:28 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

So...........if one is over 65 y/o, and NOT an EU citizen ( because UK will have left finally ) and one can show a reasonable assured income, do those factors of themselves more or less qualify one for a residency permit , Red ?
Does owning a house in Portugal ( for some years ) , po ssession of NIF, help ?
Old Dec 7th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I can see, a UK passport has no more advantages than a US passport from 1 January 2021. You would be far better off with an Irish passport if you have any Irish ancestry and are eligible.

Failing that, I'm afraid it's going to be much more difficult to obtain EU residency post Brexit and as a UK national, you will no longer be under the protection of the withdrawal agreement. Of course it doable but nowhere near as easy as it is now. The minimum income requirement for third country nationals is low in Portugal and much lower than it is in other EU states so Portugal will be a good proposition for many.

Old Dec 7th 2020, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Why waste time on if & buts, check www.sef.pt or links above from Red_Eric.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 7:45 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
So...........if one is over 65 y/o, and NOT an EU citizen ( because UK will have left finally ) and one can show a reasonable assured income, do those factors of themselves more or less qualify one for a residency permit , Red ?
Does owning a house in Portugal ( for some years ) , po ssession of NIF, help ?
Originally Posted by Lou71
From what I can see, a UK passport has no more advantages than a US passport from 1 January 2021. You would be far better off with an Irish passport if you have any Irish ancestry and are eligible.

Failing that, I'm afraid it's going to be much more difficult to obtain EU residency post Brexit and as a UK national, you will no longer be under the protection of the withdrawal agreement. Of course it doable but nowhere near as easy as it is now. The minimum income requirement for third country nationals is low in Portugal and much lower than it is in other EU states so Portugal will be a good proposition for many.
I'd agree with that.

The minimum income requirement is not at all challenging at present and I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone with less to try living here on it anyway. It's more the paperwork and the time and the uncertainty that's going to be a problem for people, especially if they're disposing of a property elsewhere in order to fnance the move.

Having a property etc already won't count for anything in terms of getting the residency approval but it certainly would take a lot of the pressure off the initial settling-in and give options as to the timing of everything, especially when taking into account the protection offered by NHR against CGT on the sale of foreign property.