Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

EVs - what is it like in Portugal / Algarve?

EVs - what is it like in Portugal / Algarve?

Old Dec 9th 2020, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EVs - what is it like in Portugal / Algarve?

What is the current situation with charging stations in the Algarve right now? I see in Google maps there are very few charging stations in the area - just some in Albufeira and one (!) in Faro, and they are all Tesla charging stations!
Is it a feasible to take an electric car to the Algarve / Portugal?
Old Dec 9th 2020, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EVs - what is it like in Portugal / Algarve?

I see many.
Electric cars are popular in the big cities, but they're expensive for the rural folk. Still, I see them on the road here in Algarve.
I've seen foreign plated ones too, and a Belgian Tesla owner has a house in my village and used to drive down regularly.
I wanted to ask for details [as I'm a nosy technophile], but the house is up for sale and no sign of the Belgians lately.

There are charging stations at the rest stops on the highway, and even one in our tiny village; installed with no fanfare that I heard, in a corner you'll never find.
It's a tourist town, but very small. If we have one, there must be many many more.
I don't know about the connectivity of these stations. I assume they're some sort of Euro standard. You pay by debit card.

Obviously, if you have a self standing house you can use solar to charge at home, which would be both cost effective and satisfying.

My own investigation into viability ran into a brick wall; I only drive 10-12,000 km per year. My total fuel cost is far less than the payments on any electric car.
Assuming that the monetary cost vaguely represents the environmental cost of producing one, and it's battery, I realized that the limited shelf life of the battery means even if the electricity cost is zero, you need to travel some distance for an electric car to be profitable economically or environmentally.

Also, if you need any service I don't know how far you'd have to go.
Most EV's on the road today are still fairly new, so these issues are yet to be known.
Presumably you'd have some sort of insurance that would pay for towing however far is required if you get stranded.

Anyway, there are charging stations. There must be a website somewhere that maps them.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point

Than you for your very comprehensive comments.
I think we share the same concerns re: EVs. For me the car must have home charging access, as the number of public charging stations + time required to charge will make the experience very stressful. I see on many occasions (in the UK) non EVs use the space to park their cars! Imagine how stressful that will be.
The planning that goes with long distance travelling will also be stressful, as your route will be dictated by where the charging stations reside.
On costs, I know electricity prices in Portugal are one of the highest in Europe, so the cost comparative vis-a-vis with gas is more even. In countries (like the UK) where electricity is much cheaper the government is actually thinking about road charging, as they are losing tax revenue from gas duty!
Lastly, I also understand EVs depreciate much faster and steeper than ICE vehicles. The battery is culprit, as its replacement cost can sometimes be very high.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
What is the current situation with charging stations in the Algarve right now? I see in Google maps there are very few charging stations in the area - just some in Albufeira and one (!) in Faro, and they are all Tesla charging stations!
Is it a feasible to take an electric car to the Algarve / Portugal?
download an app called PlugShare. You will see that there are a lot of EV chargers on the Algarve. The cheapest charging solution is to install a home charger and sign up with an electricity provider that offers reduce rates fro over night charging. I use EDP and can charge between 22.00 and 07.00 at €0.10 per kWh. Sign up for an RFID card with EDP at @0.16 per kWh. This you can use at the many public EV charging stations. For Tesla there are currently two dedicated Tesla charging stations, one at Alcantarilha and the other at Almancil at the Mar shopping. Absolutely no problem running an EV along the Algarve.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 9:21 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget all the African children slaving ( literally ) away and ruining their health to mine the lithium etc so that dinner tables in Islington and Camden can remain full of self satisfied, soi disant liberal intelligentsia types.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

I don’t recall that being the question. And may I suggest if you don’t have anything sensible from adding to the topic then don’t.

Last edited by Mitzi2012; Dec 11th 2020 at 9:39 am.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Don't forget all the *PORTUGUESE children slaving ( literally ) away and ruining their health to mine the lithium etc so that dinner tables in *Algave can remain full of self satisfied, soi disant liberal intelligentsia types.
*corrected for your lack of knowledge
https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...secret-lithium

Other wise I have been trying to find car hire place in Lisbon or Porto which does EVs so I can try one for several days and find out if it a viable and what the issues may be, I do realise that some though may be necessary in changing some ways of car use.

Last edited by coleio; Dec 11th 2020 at 10:13 am.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

You can arrange to test drive a Tesla by contacting their office in Lisbon.