Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

MOT for english reg. car in algarve

MOT for english reg. car in algarve

Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOT for english reg. car in algarve

Originally Posted by Willco1980
It's all doom and gloom on here isn't it. If there's a garage that has a contact in the uk who will put another car through the mot as if it were yours and send you the certificate then your car will be on the DVLA database as MOT'd, and I have tax and insurance until well into next year. I'm just trying to avoid a £2k round trip to get a piece of paper which does nothing better than show your car was serviceable for a day.
That`s well out of order to do and especially advising others to break the laws in the UK and PT.
It`s also illegal for you to drive a UK reg car there for that long anyway, unless you are a UK tourist and then only for 6 months.
Idiots like you give us all a bad name.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:48 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
That`s well out of order to do and especially advising others to break the laws in the UK and PT.
It`s also illegal for you to drive a UK reg car there for that long anyway, unless you are a UK tourist and then only for 6 months.
Idiots like you give us all a bad name.
Uhuh,agreed.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Ringo Starr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cleri
Uhuh,agreed.
Hello to all that are replying to a thread "MOT for English reg. car in Algarve" I subscribed to that in 2008 If memory serves me right.
At that time I posted a query about the possibility of obtaining an MOT in Portugal similar to many others have done likewise since. I merely wanted to save the effort and expense of returning to the UK in mid-stream so to speak.
However - for family health reasons, I had to return to the UK anyhow, and so got an MOT the conventional and proper route..
I got good advice in reply to my question – namely don’t go down the road of anything shady. I had no intention of doing anything shady
I do not now live in Portugal!
I am appalled and horrified by the nature of replies that subsequent contributors to this thread have received. It is all wretchedness and distress – My God you folk live in a wonderful part of the world – with good weather all year round.
I think advice Positive or Negative is ok but I cannot help thinking this thread has become a gossip and back-biting place!
As I do not live amongst you folk I intend to unsubscribe from this thread. Life is too short for dreariness and despondency.
Blimey ! Get a Grip is me advice ter you lot. Nuff said, yeah?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Willco1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TELL
It may sound like gloom and doom to you but you will be driving an illegal car with a MOT obtained illegally therefore NOT insured.
How would you feel if one of you children or wife ws killed by an illegal uninsured driver.
The rules are there to protect the vast majority of us from those who put money first.

If you want to stay in Portugal bite the bullet, matriculate or buy a Portuguese car.
If you're worried about your wife and children why live in a country where to get the Portuguese version of the MOT you simply need to pay enough for them to pass the car. I have a three year old car that will pass it's MOT no problem, it has full european insurance and tax and will be out of the country at Christmas. If a garage will give me the MOT certificate it is fully road legal and my insurance is valid.

I don't want to stay in Portugal past Christmas, to matriculate would be around 30k euros and I'd rather drive a roadworthy UK car than a 2k banger from here as some of my friends do.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you're worried about your wife and children why live in a country where to get the Portuguese version of the MOT you simply need to pay enough for them to pass the car. I have a three year old car that will pass it's MOT no problem, it has full european insurance and tax and will be out of the country at Christmas. If a garage will give me the MOT certificate it is fully road legal and my insurance is valid.

I don't want to stay in Portugal past Christmas, to matriculate would be around 30k euros and I'd rather drive a roadworthy UK car than a 2k banger from here as some of my friends do.
HTF can a bent MOT certificate make it legal.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

If you're worried about your wife and children why live in a country where to get the Portuguese version of the MOT you simply need to pay enough for them to pass the car.
You clearly have absolutely no idea about the IPO test.
My question still remains though, is it OK for all the EU immigrants driving their cars in England without MOTs/insurance etc?
How will you feel if one of them crashes into your car when you return?
Let's not have double standards here.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

I really can't believe that you have come on to a public forum to ask about getting a bent MOT. The mind boggles.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
HTF can a bent MOT certificate make it legal.
If someone with the authorty from the DVLA gives you a certificate and enters your car's details onto the DVLA's database your car has an MOT and you can buy tax and your insurance is valid. It's up to them if they want to risk their profession for financial reward.

Portugal is a corrupt country, you can get a vaild driving license by giving the examiner a healty tip, you can drink in a bar all night say goodnight to the local policeman who's stopped in for a couple while on duty and then drive home, or steal your father's car get stopped by the GNR, but because they know your dad they ring him instead of arresting you.

I'd like to keep my car here for six months as I'm staying longer than expected. I'd like it to have tax, MOT and insurance. If the population paid their income tax properly the government wouldn't need to put such high taxes on cars and I'd consider putting it on Portuguese plates. As it is they charge taxes to matriculate that are deemed illegal by the EU, but they make more money from them than the EU fines them.

If my wife or child were killed by an uninsured driver it would be just as bad as if they were killed by an insured one. How does a compensation cheque make things any better? If they were killed by a drunk, speeding, reckless driver, or by one who was driving an unroadworthy vehicle that would be another matter.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Hog
You clearly have absolutely no idea about the IPO test.
My question still remains though, is it OK for all the EU immigrants driving their cars in England without MOTs/insurance etc?
How will you feel if one of them crashes into your car when you return?
Let's not have double standards here.
If they have, by whatever means, the correct paperwork for their cars to drive in the uk with insurance then good luck to them. If they are driving unroadworthy cars or lorries as many seem to then that's another matter.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Hog
I really can't believe that you have come on to a public forum to ask about getting a bent MOT. The mind boggles.
I don't want a bent one. I want a real one. I'd just like it without the tester needing to see the car
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Willco1980;8696996] If someone with the authorty from the DVLA gives you a certificate and enters your car's details onto the DVLA's database your car has an MOT and you can buy tax and your insurance is valid. It's up to them if they want to risk their profession for financial reward.[QUOTE] Actually you would be participating in the FRAUD and would also be guilty of the offence - and another for telling your insurance company that you had a valid MOT

[QUOTE=Willco1980;8696996]If my wife or child were killed by an uninsured driver it would be just as bad as if they were killed by an insured one.[QUOTE]
True.

If they were killed by a drunk, speeding, reckless driver, or by one who was driving an unroadworthy vehicle that would be another matter.
What about a driver that had obtained his MOT and his insurance policy by way of fraud? Would that be another matter?

If you really can live with yourself by doing this then go ahead but don't publish it on a public forum and expect others to be OK with it.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want a bent one. I want a real one. I'd just like it without the tester needing to see the car
It's always going to be a bent one if the MOT tester hasn't seen the car no matter what you think or want to happen.
Life's a bummer, you can't always have what you want when you want it, learn to accept it.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Luso is an unknown quantity at this point

Portugal is a corrupt country

You'll fit in just fine then.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TELL
It may sound like gloom and doom to you but you will be driving an illegal car with a MOT obtained illegally therefore NOT insured.
How would you feel if one of you children or wife ws killed by an illegal uninsured driver.
The rules are there to protect the vast majority of us from those who put money first.

If you want to stay in Portugal bite the bullet, matriculate or buy a Portuguese car.
I agree with Tell. If you don't like the system then write to the EU and see what they say, in the end if you bend the laws of Portugal you will be caught and suffer the fines/confiscation of the car.
Joao
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
It's always going to be a bent one if the MOT tester hasn't seen the car no matter what you think or want to happen.
Life's a bummer, you can't always have what you want when you want it, learn to accept it.
of course you can, you just need to find the right person selling it for the right price.

Sadly the people driving around with licenses that they have aquired through bribery have licenses that are just as legal as yours or mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.