Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Mosquito reppelent for terrace , has anyone found one

Mosquito reppelent for terrace , has anyone found one

Old Apr 16th 2010, 6:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mosquito reppelent for terrace , has anyone found one

Originally Posted by Titleist
We just went into a garden centre today and asked for plants that keep mozzies away, came away with a plant that cost 4 euros, and have it outside by the door, lets see if it works
You'll be alright,Mozzies won't be seen dead inside a pikey trailer
Old Apr 16th 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Titleist
We just went into a garden centre today and asked for plants that keep mozzies away, came away with a plant that cost 4 euros, and have it outside by the door, lets see if it works
What was the plant called Please
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:57 am
home

bebido is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DublinLassie
There are thousands of sources for Neem products, but if young Neem trees can be bought in Portugal, I would be delighted to have some. I had a good Google earlier and can find lots of info about the trees, but no listing of anyone who sells them here.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem

I thought Neem would'nt grow in Portugal considering it loves tropical climate and all, but was pleasantly surprised when my boys pointed out the "medicine leaves" while in Lisboa and also in Tomar. Can't remember where exactly, but heck am happy to know that they grow there.

Don't know what exactly it is called in Portuguese, but wiki says "conhecida como Nim ou Amargosa, é uma árvore 'multiuso'"

I use neem leaves in the bath.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Theantikid is an unknown quantity at this point

Not so much repellant, but useful tip for the bite once you have it.
If you put a lump of sellotape on the bit and leave it there for a couple of days the itch stops and that horibble red lump does not develop.
I know it does not work for everyone, but I have found it works for me.
Last year I was covered in unsghtly red lumps and I was sure that British mozzies didnt itch for such a long time.
Hope this saves some of you from the aftermath of mozzi lunches.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 7:16 am
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

Leroy Merlin are selling light bulbs that claim to repell mozzies. 9.99 each.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

loonytoon is an unknown quantity at this point

just got this email from a friend and have no idea how true it is but you never know

For all of you in mosquito land.

I can't wait to try this in the summer!

Mosquito Spray...Worth a try
I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on.

OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried th is on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of Bug-spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house.

jeff
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Don't want to be a party pooper but you may want to treat the above with a pinch of salt;

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/med.../listerine.htm

Old Jun 12th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lelandy
Don't want to be a party pooper but you may want to treat the above with a pinch of salt;

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/med.../listerine.htm

Well, I was just about to add eucyliptus to the list, and have just read the link to this post , so have been beaten to it . There are several oils that can be put in an oil burner, that have a good effect, including eucyliptus,cinnimom lavender and rosemary, other things I have read about including the listerine, is vic's rub, and again that would be the eucyliptus I spose