Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

flowerblossom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

I have been told otherwise by other confident Expats. But I am not the kind of person who likes to be chased by police, hence I like to have everything in order even if it costs me more.

Originally Posted by EMR
Drivers of UK vehicles in Portugal are on borrowed time as cross country sharing of information increases every year.
It will only be a matter of time before the police in Portugal will be able to check the status of a UK reg vehicle.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:53 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flowerblossom
I have been told otherwise by other confident Expats. But I am not the kind of person who likes to be chased by police, hence I like to have everything in order even if it costs me more.
One thing you will learn in Portugal is to take NO notice of " confident " expats particularly those who ignore the laws in Portugal.

Regions differ but just a few Km from you in Lagoa the local police have checkpoints on a weekly basis and UK reg cars particularly those they see often are among those stopped.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

I shall consider myself lucky then to have been have to travel around without ever being stopped during summertime. So I will look to move forward to a "new" Portuguese car and comply with the local laws so I can comfortably sleep at night (and nap during the day)

Originally Posted by EMR
One thing you will learn in Portugal is to take NO notice of " confident " expats particularly those who ignore the laws in Portugal.

Regions differ but just a few Km from you in Lagoa the local police have checkpoints on a weekly basis and UK reg cars particularly those they see often are among those stopped.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

peternizette is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - I have a Portuguese Citroen Xantia - offers IRO €1,200. Fullly serviced regularly, no issues with IPO (MOTs) ...4 new tires less than 1 year ago and still look new (not too many kms. Drives great and a good car. FYI ...I am moving back to UK soon so need to sell. I am in Aljezur - 25kms north of Lagos.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

BTW ...it's a 2000 model, petrol and with ±128,000 kms on the clock. Very economical.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Peter, thank you! But I just bought one last week.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

AND ...sorry folks - but I AM looking for a UK vehicle - anywhere on the Algarve or will consider other area. We are moving back so no issues with Rego etc. - ideally looking for an SUV type; Honda CRV, ML series Merc, Nissan xTrail - for example. Anyone got one or know of anyone wanting to sell?
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Peter, not sure this is on topic, but I have a car roof box to sell. If you need it to move back. I used it a few months ago to come to Portugal. Is in meant conditions. 420L bought from Halford. Will sell it for 100 Euros. Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

could be useful ...will come back if needed. Tks.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:47 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peternizette
AND ...sorry folks - but I AM looking for a UK vehicle - anywhere on the Algarve or will consider other area. We are moving back so no issues with Rego etc. - ideally looking for an SUV type; Honda CRV, ML series Merc, Nissan xTrail - for example. Anyone got one or know of anyone wanting to sell?
Just check that the vehicle you buy still has UK tax and a valid MOT.
UK police now use NPR systems and you would not want to be the one caught and fined and possibly your vehicle taken from you on arrival in the UK.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Tks 4 the tip - i will be vigilant.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Just check that the vehicle you buy still has UK tax and a valid MOT.
UK police now use NPR systems and you would not want to be the one caught and fined and possibly your vehicle taken from you on arrival in the UK.
Hi,

The UK car tax rules have changed, the "tax" is no longer a paper disc but is now "owned" by the registered keeper. When a seller sends the V5 reg doc to the DVLA any remaining car tax is refunded automatically. A buyer is responsible for taxing the car from the moment he/she has purchased it, that is the car tax is NOT transferred with the car. The ANPR system can now check insurance. MOT, tax and any other "flag". A friends UK Citroen 106 diesel will be available for disposal in the summer if someone wants before it goes to the scrappy as they can't be bothered to drive it back or pay for the ferry.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coleio
Hi,

A friends UK Citroen 106 diesel will be available for disposal in the summer if someone wants before it goes to the scrappy as they can't be bothered to drive it back or pay for the ferry.
Isn't the 106 a Peugeot?

The Citroen equivalent is the Saxo.

Either way a brilliant diesel engine. I used to get 80 mpg on a run.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardi
Isn't the 106 a Peugeot?

The Citroen equivalent is the Saxo.

Either way a brilliant diesel engine. I used to get 80 mpg on a run.
True, I run an AX 1,5 D so get it confused with this 106 1,5 D