Reload this Page >

Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

Old Dec 6th 2014, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

flowerblossom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

Hello everybody.

I am looking to buy a UK registered car. Since I "lost" my previous one only after 6 months after buying it, my budget is quiet limited so I am looking for something cheap and cheerful that takes me to places without letting me down.

I really can't afford anything too fancy at the moment. A car that is not falling apart would be good.

I live in Portimao so if you are local it is even better otherwise it would be difficult to travel places to see the car.

Ideally a small car with not much mileage and not ancient.

Thank you
Old Dec 6th 2014, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a UK Registered car to Buy

There are several English language facebook groups for Algarve things to sell. There are always some English reg cars.
Be prepared for the upcoming onslaught of posts outlining the immorality and illegality of keeping a UK car in Portugal...
On the purely practical side, I have heard first hand accounts of UK reg cars being stopped and checked in Lagoa. The GNR want proof that the hasn't been in Portugal for more than 6 months.
You really might be better off buying a Portuguese reg car.
look here; http://faro.olx.pt/nf/carros-cat-378/price_to,1500
Old Dec 6th 2014, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your answer and suggestion. I will look into both options for sure. I'm not the kind of person who likes the idea of being chased by police.

What are the expenses involved in having a Portuguese car?

What if I'm not a resident. Can I still have a Portuguese car?

Thank you.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can own a Portuguese car; like everywhere, you need insurance, road tax, and annual safety inspection.
The inspection is very strict here, which is the problem with cheap cars. Best to get one with as fresh a certificate as possible.
If the road tax isn't expensive, but if isn't paid on time, there's a stiff fine. They don't inform you when it's due, you have to check your documents. make sure the road tax is up to date before buying, you could be liable for the seller's fine.
The fine for an expired safety inspection is E250.
Most people recommend buying from a dealer, but for cheap cars that might not work. You'd probably be best off finding someone knowledgeable about cars and documents to help you.

UK reg cars also need the yearly MOT, and without it your insurance isn't valid.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by flowerblossom
Thank you for your answer and suggestion. I will look into both options for sure. I'm not the kind of person who likes the idea of being chased by police.

What are the expenses involved in having a Portuguese car?

What if I'm not a resident. Can I still have a Portuguese car?

Thank you.
I think you would be a lot more relaxed(and legal) owing a Portuguese car. The initial outlay for a PT car is obviously a lot more than a similar UK car but spend 1-2k on a PT car and even if you keep it a few years you should lose little on re-sale.

Expenses/running costs:
Annual road tax: on a pre 2007 registered car with small average sized engine expect to pay 40-70 euros.

Insurance: some companies may except proof of bonus from uk but even if not you should it's not too expensive for 3rd party: 160-270 euros

MOT: once a year for older cars, no rust to worry about here so already a major bonus! Wife always takes our cars but I think it's around 30-40€
Old Dec 7th 2014, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

One point not to forget is that any UK resistered car for sale here must be legal in it's country of origin. IE MOT not the Portuguese IPO. To drive a UK reg in Portugal it must be UK legal if not expect trouble if caught by the GNR.

Yes there are lots of cars around to buy but not legal without UK Tax and MOT. Should a buyer of a UK registered with a Portuguese IPO certificate return to the UK it would not have a valid MOT and it would be stopped.

Peter
Old Dec 7th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You're also only allowed to keep a foreign registered car here for a max of 183 days before getting it registered here and if caught exceeding that, they can seize the car.

Consequently, if you're living here, you're much better off with a PT registered vehicle.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for all the info. I now know I had the wrong information and will most likely consider buying a Portuguese car, despite being a bite more expensive.

I was in the verge of going for a 2001 car and definitely changed my mind on that too.

But hey oh, I guess it cannot be all roses and flowers living in Portugal. Still is better having sunshine than rain!
Old Dec 10th 2014, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Portugal, England, Thailand, soon to be New Zealand
blownaway is an unknown quantity at this point

We are not resident in Portugal (retain UK residency) and yes, we have a Portuguese registered car.

Pop your UK driving licence to your local IMTT to register the licence there.

There's plenty of sunshine in the summer.

There's plenty of rain in the winter.

Portuguese regulations pour down all year.

Good luck.

Last edited by blownaway; Dec 10th 2014 at 9:08 am.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

It is funny how what we think is illegal is actually not that illegal.

My previous car, UK registered, was "taken away" from Portugal to UK. In reality it was stolen but I prefer not to use this term (long story).

The person who was driving the car was indeed stopped, in the UK. BUT they only checked the person for ID and Insurance documents.

The Insurance Document had the person name as a PolicyHolder, yet the car was/is registered on my name. The Car has no TAX no MOT. One would imagine the person would have been stopped and the car taken way. WRONG.

The person was let go, claiming the car belonged to him because "he paid for it". (And they actually believed it too)

I really am shocked to realize how law works at times.

Now before I buy a new car I want to make sure I know EVERYTHING I need to know. Especially I have learnt not to put anyone's names on any paper, but mine!

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

One point not to forget is that any UK resistered car for sale here must be legal in it's country of origin. IE MOT not the Portuguese IPO. To drive a UK reg in Portugal it must be UK legal if not expect trouble if caught by the GNR.

Yes there are lots of cars around to buy but not legal without UK Tax and MOT. Should a buyer of a UK registered with a Portuguese IPO certificate return to the UK it would not have a valid MOT and it would be stopped.

Peter
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

The way the Portuguese regulations are with car papers is that it could create a hurricane.

All the papers that are required for anyone to easily steal the car MUST be kept in the car itself.

Failure to present on request the actual papers usually results in a E30 fine plus a demand to present at a police station.

Hard to believe the Portuguese policies sometimes - a place rife for identity and car theft due to the law of carrying certain docs within the car and for having to carry I/D at all times, which for us, means a highly prized British Passport.

I asked why companies such as PT want so many documents in place, such as trying to change the password on the internet access for bills which needed identity papers, apparently the reason they gave is for "our own security" ????

My reply was that if someone wants to gain access to my telephone bills - I would hope they had the courtesy to pay them too! (It didn't get a laugh ...)

Apologies for slightly off topic.

Last edited by blownaway; Dec 10th 2014 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Add apology line
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:29 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flowerblossom
It is funny how what we think is illegal is actually not that illegal.

My previous car, UK registered, was "taken away" from Portugal to UK. In reality it was stolen but I prefer not to use this term (long story).

The person who was driving the car was indeed stopped, in the UK. BUT they only checked the person for ID and Insurance documents.

The Insurance Document had the person name as a PolicyHolder, yet the car was/is registered on my name. The Car has no TAX no MOT. One would imagine the person would have been stopped and the car taken way. WRONG.

The person was let go, claiming the car belonged to him because "he paid for it". (And they actually believed it too)

I really am shocked to realize how law works at times.

Now before I buy a new car I want to make sure I know EVERYTHING I need to know. Especially I have learnt not to put anyone's names on any paper, but mine!
It is essential that you check that all the tax on the vehicle has been paid, if not you as the new owner will be responsible.
Many second hand car lots are selling on behalf of the owner and unlike the UK do NOT own the vehicle so have no responsibility to ensure that all is legal.
As for your past experience if the vehicle is till on the road untaxed etc it will be caiughtas all UK police cars now have Number Plate recognition and can tell at a glance if the car is road legal.
This is one of the reasons why the tax disc has been discontinued, the Police no longer need to look for it.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I would have imagined then when the car was stopped in the UK, they would check for MOT and similar, but like I said the car and the person were both let go undisturbed. Puzzled.

Since that happened, I decided not to pursue the car anymore, as it would almost cost me more to have it sent back to me and all the legal implication and hassle to having to prove the car actually "belonged" to me. As in I actually paid for it.

I have instead asked the DVLA to take my name off the registration of the car so whatever happens is no longer my responsibility but the responsibility to the person who had the brilliant idea to take it away.

Originally Posted by EMR
It is essential that you check that all the tax on the vehicle has been paid, if not you as the new owner will be responsible.
Many second hand car lots are selling on behalf of the owner and unlike the UK do NOT own the vehicle so have no responsibility to ensure that all is legal.
As for your past experience if the vehicle is till on the road untaxed etc it will be caiughtas all UK police cars now have Number Plate recognition and can tell at a glance if the car is road legal.
This is one of the reasons why the tax disc has been discontinued, the Police no longer need to look for it.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting point there EMR - the tax is now paid through the DVLA and the payment is registered through the number plate of the car (or so I was recently told by someone whilst I was in the UK).

Apparently, the UK police check the number plate and it immediately flags that the tax is not paid.

Related reading which confirms advice from a friend in the UK:

Abolition of the vehicle tax disc | nidirect

Flowerblossom - have sent you a PM with something that may be of interest to you.

Not an easy situation when a car simply goes missing ! AWOL.

Last edited by blownaway; Dec 10th 2014 at 8:38 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:40 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blownaway
Interesting point there EMR - the tax is now paid through the DVLA and the payment is registered through the number plate of the car (or so I was recently told by someone whilst I was in the UK).

Apparently, the UK police check the number plate and it immediately flags that the tax is not paid.

Related reading which confirms advice from a friend in the UK:

Abolition of the vehicle tax disc | nidirect

Flowerblossom - have sent you a PM.
Drivers of UK vehicles in Portugal are on borrowed time as cross country sharing of information increases every year.
It will only be a matter of time before the police in Portugal will be able to check the status of a UK reg vehicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.