Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Lawyers and Surveyors for house purchase

Lawyers and Surveyors for house purchase

Old Feb 9th 2022, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lawyers and Surveyors for house purchase

Originally Posted by macliam
Sorry, having had experience in Portugal, your example of a dentist is far off the mark. The construction methods, climate and many other things in Portugal will be beyond the general experience of a surveyor from the UK. Likewise, they will (hopefully) be au fait with UK building regs, but not those in Portugal, some things that they would expect in the UK are not acceptable in Portugal, ike the electrical system, or uncommon, like the foundations and/or damp control. The same is likely true of surveyors from other parts of the world, but I can't claim knowledge there. "Better than nothing" is not something I'd waste a lot of time on...... there are many reliable, qualified, architects in Portugal to choose from, it's just a case of finding them.
If you are against it that is one thing but you certainly can't say that the construction methods in Braga are the same as in Faro and climate is different too. You could say that the climate and terrain in Elvas would be closer to Badajoz (Spain) than the previous mentioned places. The OP wrote: My purpose in looking for a survey is ONLY to find the issues like a swimming pool about to slide down the hilside or the difference between a major structural crack and settling crack in a supporting wall. The surveyor is not doing the installation or changing anything but can tell you if a crack is major or not. I can still build a house with German standards in Portugal, yes I will have to follow the local regulations. And didn't you previously say you had many nightmares building in Portugal? In any case the OP said what he wanted and isn't building a house.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you are against it that is one thing but you certainly can't say that the construction methods in Braga are the same as in Faro and climate is different too. You could say that the climate and terrain in Elvas would be closer to Badajoz (Spain) than the previous mentioned places. The OP wrote: My purpose in looking for a survey is ONLY to find the issues like a swimming pool about to slide down the hilside or the difference between a major structural crack and settling crack in a supporting wall. The surveyor is not doing the installation or changing anything but can tell you if a crack is major or not. I can still build a house with German standards in Portugal, yes I will have to follow the local regulations. And didn't you previously say you had many nightmares building in Portugal? In any case the OP said what he wanted and isn't building a house.
...and macliam wrote "local" 6 times in his original post. Not "Portuguese", "local"
Old Feb 9th 2022, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
...and macliam wrote "local" 6 times in his original post. Not "Portuguese", "local"
And where is local in his post I replied too? Sorry, having had experience in Portugal, your example of a dentist is far off the mark. The construction methods, climate and many other things in Portugal will be beyond the general experience of a surveyor from the UK. Likewise, they will (hopefully) be au fait with UK building regs, but not those in Portugal, some things that they would expect in the UK are not acceptable in Portugal, ike the electrical system, or uncommon, like the foundations and/or damp control. The same is likely true of surveyors from other parts of the world, but I can't claim knowledge there. "Better than nothing" is not something I'd waste a lot of time on...... there are many reliable, qualified, architects in Portugal to choose from, it's just a case of finding them.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

And where is local in his post I replied too? Sorry, having had experience in Portugal, your example of a dentist is far off the mark. The construction methods, climate and many other things in Portugal will be beyond the general experience of a surveyor from the UK. Likewise, they will (hopefully) be au fait with UK building regs, but not those in Portugal, some things that they would expect in the UK are not acceptable in Portugal, ike the electrical system, or uncommon, like the foundations and/or damp control. The same is likely true of surveyors from other parts of the world, but I can't claim knowledge there. "Better than nothing" is not something I'd waste a lot of time on...... there are many reliable, qualified, architects in Portugal to choose from, it's just a case of finding them.
Arguing for the sake of argument... Am I on Twitter now?
Old Feb 9th 2022, 3:12 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

If you check, I recommended a LOCAL solicitor who works with a local architect/structural engineer, therefore I have not, and would not, recommend anyone from another part of Portugal either - although the basic construction methods would be similar, in that they will likely use the pillar and infill method and will certainly have the electrical and plumbing to Portuguese standards. All of these differ significantly to those generally used in the UK.

You can indeed build a house "with" German standards in Portugal, but you cannot build a house "to" German standards, as Portuguese building standards are applicable..... However, more importantly, professionals can advise on things they know, not things they have never experienced. You are correct that I have indeed had issues in Portugal, but this was, in no small part, due to using an out-of-area architect and builder, which is exactly why I disagree with your original suggestion. The OP is free to do whatever he wishes, but my recommendation that he keeps to local experts stands, whatever his requirements.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Finn
Yes I know of UK expats who are suitable to carry out structural inspections and local English speaking solicitors in my area and there will be others in other areas. .However that is of little use until you find the property you are looking for and before that your specific area in Portugal you are looking at.
This is a great place to find such tradesmen and we will give you our help in 6 or 7 months time when you find your area. Until then may I suggest that you do as much research as possible before you come out to Portugal.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Finn McCool is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks I appreciate your response. I will make a note of this post and get back to you in the future.

Regards

Old Feb 10th 2022, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - yes of course there are plenty of Surveyors in Portugal - both Portuguese and foreign. Many are RIC qualified. Solícitos and Estate Agents will have recommendations - and google will also bring up names. Just bear in mind that you need someone who can write up your survey in good English! One name that seems to crop up a lot is TJ Property Inspections. I’ve never needed to use them but the feedback I’ve read online has been favorable.

Last edited by J00ls; Feb 10th 2022 at 9:35 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

I was NOT being alarmist! Just stating facts!

Be aware that I have known the country since I was a teenager when I lived in a damp recent build in Lisbon.

I have lived & worked in both the Algarve & the Lisbon area for 25 years. I also know much of the rest of the country well.

I speak, read & write Portuguese. I undertook all the correspondence, including amending the Éscritura & Contrato da Compra e Venda, & communications related to our house purchase in Portuguese.

I have good knowledge of the quality of construction here.

I would point out that anyone getting a property survey done should make sure the surveyor has Public Liability Insurance & preferably is registered with an official Portuguese or EU registered body such as the Ordem dos Engenheiros.

Old Feb 11th 2022, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
I was NOT being alarmist! Just stating facts!

Be aware that I have known the country since I was a teenager when I lived in a damp recent build in Lisbon.

I have lived & worked in both the Algarve & the Lisbon area for 25 years. I also know much of the rest of the country well.

I speak, read & write Portuguese. I undertook all the correspondence, including amending the Éscritura & Contrato da Compra e Venda, & communications related to our house purchase in Portuguese.

I have good knowledge of the quality of construction here.

I would point out that anyone getting a property survey done should make sure the surveyor has Public Liability Insurance & preferably is registered with an official Portuguese or EU registered body such as the Ordem dos Engenheiros.
What I said was:
"It's perhaps a bit alarmist to suggest that at least half of properties have "some kind of structural problem". Almost any house will have, if you look hard enough. It doesn't meant that it is about to fall down and the question to ask is how much it will cost to fix it."

My point was not that you don't know Portugal, but that you are taking a very risk averse view and potentially scaring people who don't know Portugal, by suggesting that houses here are mostly so badly built that you shouldn't buy them. That's just not the reality for most people.

There are many houses in the UK with "some kind of structural problem", which may mean immediate action needed, it may mean action needed sometime over the next 20-30 years or it may mean no actual problem in reality.

For example - most 1930's houses in the UK were built rapidly, very often with little or no foundations. In some cases, depending on the soil in that area, this has required underpinning (which is an expensive, but feasible repair), but in most cases the houses are perfectly fine and very desirable places to live in spite of what some would consider a serious structural problem

My point is not that people should just go buy anything without any due diligence, it's that if you look hard enough you will find some kind of problem and that shouldn't mean "OMG, run away!"
Old Feb 11th 2022, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

BTW, don't knock the Portuguese "walk around with a trusted builder" approach. I got to know the son-in-law of the guy who built our place quite well, since we were talking regularly throughout the build. He told me that the two of them went to look at a set of part finished houses that were being offered for bank sale.

He took detailed notes as they walked around the site, then plugged all the details into standard costing models. After a couple of days work, he had come up with a number to finish the properties. It turned out to be almost exactly the same number that father-in-law had said when he walked out of the site