LAGOS

Old Feb 4th 2017, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LAGOS

Originally Posted by EMR
You really should come south as you have little idea of the reality of life here.
In 15 years we have never had to eat indoors with the aircon on.
Lunch outside in the sun in January is a real treat..
We do have to absail down the cliffs you have seen on google earth to get to our beaches..
The daily saharan sand storms can be a pain and not being able to take our camels on the motorway is an inconvenience.

That was YOU EMR.?.. With the camels
Old Feb 4th 2017, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
I have passed on the name of the lawyer you suggested GeniB.

I emailed the lawyer the other day. He got straight back to me with a quote and we have made an appointment to see him when we are over in March

This is obviously all new to us and we were wondering how we go about paying for the property.
We are planning to open a Portuguese bank account in March but as we still live in the UK we don't know the best way to produce the money for the deposit ect.
I've seen many people recommend Transferwise.
Would it be best to transfer money direct from our UK account to our lawyers account using a company like this?
I guess our lawyer will explain all this when we meet him.
In my case, I opened a Portuguese bank account and transfered the money from UK using HiFx and currencies direct. They are both good and fast. Very easy to use. If you transfer big sum you should ring them up and haggle, but bear in mind the mid-market rate because broker won't offer better rate than that. Of course there are many currency brokers e.g. Transferwise, you can always compare the rate and check if they are protected by FSA. I would also use XE exchange rate app or similar to monitor the rate, if using broker, you can lock the rate as well. In terms of payment method, either for deposit or the rest of the amount , usually it's by cheque bancario pay to seller made by your bank for a small fee, much safer and convenient.

Last edited by qianh; Feb 4th 2017 at 12:52 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't here at the transfer date, so I transferred the purchase sum to my lawyer's client account and had her pay the sellers for me.

Everything went perfectly; and I'll never do that again.

I was totally stressed out, because there was nothing in the way of the lawyer stealing the money. It's rare, but it happens.
I should have transferred it to my own account, got on a plane for a few Euros, gone to my Portuguese bank, and had them cut a check for the purchase sum. Then signed the sale in person with the sellers.

Next time my life savings are in the air, I'll do it that way.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

DM13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeniB
Hi DM 13 and welcome to paradise.. I think Alice Caroline is going to pass on the lawyers name I recommended to her.. Good luck with your move
Thank you, really do appreciate it.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

DM13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeniB
Hate to tell you but it was 17 deg's here today .Ate lunch outside overlooking Lagos marina
A messy mix of snow and frozen rain forecasted for Monday/Tuesday here... could mess up the BBQ'ing plans! lol

Last edited by DM13; Feb 4th 2017 at 9:18 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2017, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qianh
In terms of payment method, either for deposit or the rest of the amount , usually it's by cheque bancario pay to seller made by your bank for a small fee, much safer and convenient.
Does the bank just make up a cheque for you at the counter qianh, no appointment?
Is a cheque bancario the same as a cheque visado?

We have pencilled in a time for a second visit when we can hopefully sign the promissory contract if we find something we like. It would only be a flying visit though so the less we need to organise then the better. It would be two weeks after returning from our house hunting trip. I hope that's enough time to arrange the promissory contract, it's difficult for us both to get time off work.

I'd like to think we could trust our lawyer with our money though
Old Feb 4th 2017, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

I think the cheque bancario is same as cheque visado, yes you can do it over the counter but better notify the bank manager first. Basically it's a cheque paid by the bank, once it's done fund is out of your account to the bank. So for the seller, it's guaranteed. Yes I agree with the above that even you fully trust your lawyer but it's a lot of money and could be your life's saving! Also be careful when select the currency broker. Choose established ones and regulated by FSA, do small amount first to make sure everything is ok. I read somewhere if you have bank account with Caixa geral de depositos, you can transfer the money through them with mid market rate. I don't know if it's true but certainly worth investigating. They have branch in London too.