The Killer Bees

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

j1mbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Killer Bees

OK, maybe a bit on the dramatic side, I'll admit. But a problem, nevertheless.

Overnight - literally - the bees have descended on our garden shed. When we opened the shed door this morning they were there. Now, hours later they are still guarding the door, and I'm not about to push my way past them to get inside to see if they have rapidly constructed a hive.

I don't really want to have to kill them, but as my beer fridge is in there...you see my problem.

Has anybody had any experience with a rapid onslaught of bees? How did you get rid of them? HELP!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

fraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond reputefraserjames1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Killer Bees

Originally Posted by j1mbo
OK, maybe a bit on the dramatic side, I'll admit. But a problem, nevertheless.

Overnight - literally - the bees have descended on our garden shed. When we opened the shed door this morning they were there. Now, hours later they are still guarding the door, and I'm not about to push my way past them to get inside to see if they have rapidly constructed a hive.

I don't really want to have to kill them, but as my beer fridge is in there...you see my problem.

Has anybody had any experience with a rapid onslaught of bees? How did you get rid of them? HELP!
It must be the time of year as we just had a swarm descend on an outdoor storage box we use for chair cushions etc.

We got a guy round who was going to take them into his apiary (don't ask me how) but, when he looked, he said that they were simply stopping off en route to finding a proper nest. Thankfully, he also told us they were honey bees which rarely, if ever, bother humans unless provoked.

He advised us to leave the box open (keep the windows and doors closed for a while) and they would leave of their own accord. 24 hours later, they had all gone!

Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really niceJon_D is just really nice

See my comment of the other forum about how important bees are for humanity.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

We have had them in our chimney, they come down and fill the fire. We open the firedoors and the french doors and they go in a short time.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Today they're gone.

Many thanx all for your comments
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

I hope that this will BEE the final thing I have to write about the experience -
Oh To Bee...