Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Intelsat 901 27.5w coming to the end?

Intelsat 901 27.5w coming to the end?

Old Apr 11th 2024, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intelsat 901 27.5w coming to the end?

Originally Posted by fergus
I am making some assumptions here and someone may already have advised this. If you are using the phone to watch TV, then I presume you are connecting the phone to the router via wifi. On the router you may or may not be able to set the DNS. However, on the phone, which I am presuming you are connecting to the router via Wifi, you need to go to the advanced settings on the wifi connection and set the DCHP to static and use the settings for the VPN. Otherwise you may inadvertently be telling Iplayer that you are not in the UK as the data requests are sent from the router. Hope that is useful.
Hi Fergus.
Well the full situation is that I use one android phone (an older Asus Zen) as the receiver and hotspot that to my other android phone (redmi note)..........the reason fro this is that the Asus performs so much better than the Redmi (dL50mb aginst maybe 10mb using same sim in same place). Unfortunately the best place in my house for the Asus is in a bedroom, not in where I would ever want to watch TV. Hence I hotspot to the larger screen Redmi. The BBC Iplayer is on the Redmi, as is the Windscribe VPN.
I have looked at the Network details on the Redmi, and it shows the Asus network in the WiFi settings of the Redmi. There is shows the IP settings as DHCP.
So I use the Windscribe VPN on the Redmi to access Iplayer.
Should I change anything on the Asus phone? I do have the same Widscribe VPN on that as well???

My next problem is how tp send the Screen and audio to my NON smart TV.
I have done this in the UK with a smart TV but here I have a Chromecast wifi dongle, but cannot get the thing to set up.

The reason my connection stops on Iplayer ITVx C4 is that the VPN keeps stopping, then the app immediately knows I am not in UK.

Last edited by wellinever; Apr 11th 2024 at 8:02 am. Reason: additonal info
Old Apr 12th 2024, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

We are doing really well with the Amazon firestick and our satellite internet with built in VPN. So far it's a good substitute for Intelsat.
Old Apr 21st 2024, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

len.reim is an unknown quantity at this point

I am surprised nobody mentions a very simple, reliable and affordable straight forward solution via satellite -> Kabelio from Switzerland on strong 13 East Hotbird. All important Freeview channels are avalable in HD via 80cm dish. Check flysat lienup. flysat.com/en/package/kabelio-2/hot-bird-13f
No hassle whether legal or not, it´s an official provider in Switzerland, no internet needed, min. 3 Month activation. A DVB receiver with CI slot is needed, of course. Kabelio modules are available in almost every Sat-Shop across EU.
Registering the module is simple too, you just need to enter an existing name, any valid Swiss address and a valid email address, that´s all! Payment easy with paypal.
I can recommend it, my focus is German language, but there is many UK channels inside the offer, for all UK people in Spain and Portugal there is no easier solution than this.

Last edited by len.reim; Apr 21st 2024 at 5:04 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2024, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by len.reim
I am surprised nobody mentions a very simple, reliable and affordable straight forward solution via satellite -> Kabelio from Switzerland on strong 13 East Hotbird. All important Freeview channels are avalable in HD via 80cm dish. Check flysat lienup. flysat.com/en/package/kabelio-2/hot-bird-13f
No hassle whether legal or not, it´s an official provider in Switzerland, no internet needed, min. 3 Month activation. A DVB receiver with CI slot is needed, of course. Kabelio modules are available in almost every Sat-Shop across EU.
Registering the module is simple too, you just need to enter an existing name, any valid Swiss address and a valid email address, that´s all! Payment easy with paypal.
I can recommend it, my focus is German language, but there is many UK channels inside the offer, for all UK people in Spain and Portugal there is no easier solution than this.

So on the website its says 59 CHF for the module and 3 months subscription, but I cant see anything about cost of subscriptions after that 3 months, do you know how much it costs?
Have you tried this using a PCMCIA slot on older TV? Or is another module needed to accept the card?
Old Apr 22nd 2024, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Cost info is on thier website, 3m 49ch, 6m 79ch and 12m 149ch.
On their support page, there is list of supported tv sets with integrated slot, not many.

Old Apr 22nd 2024, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by len.reim
I considered Kabelio a while back but was put off by not having a Swiss address. What do you mean by a valid Swiss address?
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting comments on how this is working here.
One point about how and why this is actually legal....!!!!
https://www.sat-universe.com/index.p....320366/page-2
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Looks like I will need this box as well.....£99
https://www.technomate.com/store/pro...2d5402-M4.html
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like the Technomate receiver may not be the best one. This alternative receiver is recommended on other forums: https://www.dreamportugal.pt/vuplus-zero-4k-dvb-s2x and is slightly cheaper on Amazon.es.
I am still not clear about the issue of a Swiss address.
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

What I am not sure about at all is.if you have a new Smart TV with the necessary CI slot and it has a direct satellite connection in it, and is DVB/C etc, why do you need a box at all?
This is suggested here as well as buying the module with 3 months subs.
But it does not mention anything about address in EU, but they will arrange for despatch in any address in the EU.
Unless the catch would be that to start it up you have to have a Swiss address??
https://www.satshop.uk/product/kabel...erland-1-year/
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Firstly, SatshopUK is selling the module at a highly inflated price. Look at Amazon's price on their UK and Spanish websites for exactly the same module. I believe that a smart TV with the CI slot and a satelitte coax socket will suffice and you do not need a satellite receiver. I'm not sure though about controlling reception with the TV remote. Several forums and satellite sites have mentioned the need for an address in Switzerland.
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes if you read all the forum posts, you can see why an address is needed.due to `rights ` again................. Switzerland has the rights to broadcast, but only in Switzerland.
But I am not sure if the legality extends to other parts of the EU. I am guessing not, or they would not want a CH address.
Yes I appreciate the cost was higher from UK, but the point I was looking at was what address would they send to, nd when it sys it includes 3 months subscription.....how has that been pid for?? By a UK address or a CH address, in fact would it work at all (even with supposed 3 months included) until the used registered it with Kabellio, in which case there is the problem.unless one just uses any old CH address, like a company somewhere there??
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get a Swiss address? Do they send out a card to the Swiss address that has to be forwarded to you in Portugal and inserted into the receiver?

Please could you explain,​ ​​I'm wondering how this could work.

Old Apr 23rd 2024, 2:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Yes if you read all the forum posts, you can see why an address is needed.due to `rights ` again................. Switzerland has the rights to broadcast, but only in Switzerland.
But I am not sure if the legality extends to other parts of the EU. I am guessing not, or they would not want a CH address.
Yes I appreciate the cost was higher from UK, but the point I was looking at was what address would they send to, nd when it sys it includes 3 months subscription.....how has that been pid for?? By a UK address or a CH address, in fact would it work at all (even with supposed 3 months included) until the used registered it with Kabellio, in which case there is the problem.unless one just uses any old CH address, like a company somewhere there??
Switzerland is not part of the EU, but I'm sure the requirement for the Swiss address is both part of the agreed licensing arrangements and also "absolves" Kabelio of any claims. However "legality" depends on the willingness of the local authority to prosecute - and it's hard to see why Portugal would take an interest in something that does not impact it financially or otherwise - and if any prosecution would need to be a civil matter - the onus of proving "illegal" usage and taking a case through the courts would likely be a very costly exercise. The bigger issue for me (apart from the price and requirements) is that ther is nothing to stop Kabelio migrating to another satellite in future, leaving us in the same state as now, with no redress.
Old Apr 23rd 2024, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam
Switzerland is not part of the EU, but I'm sure the requirement for the Swiss address is both part of the agreed licensing arrangements and also "absolves" Kabelio of any claims. However "legality" depends on the willingness of the local authority to prosecute - and it's hard to see why Portugal would take an interest in something that does not impact it financially or otherwise - and if any prosecution would need to be a civil matter - the onus of proving "illegal" usage and taking a case through the courts would likely be a very costly exercise. The bigger issue for me (apart from the price and requirements) is that ther is nothing to stop Kabelio migrating to another satellite in future, leaving us in the same state as now, with no redress.
The price and requirements certainly put me off when I first learned about Kabelio. A decent receiver and the 3 month module, delivered to me in the Algarve from Amazon Spain, amounts to 215 Euros. Then my man will probably charge me 40 Euros to adjust my dish. Then I have to persuade a friend in Switzerland to let me use his address. Only the annual fee of CHF149 is reasonable for the package. As you say, Kabelio might migrate to another satellite in the future. How many more times do we have to buy new receivers and adjust our dishes? Would it not be better to go for an IPTV package? Buy a MAG 544w3 box for 103 Euros and pay as little as GBP59 a year for a year with YourIPTV or 180 Euros a year with Marc Electronica in Portimao.

Last edited by BillBullock; Apr 23rd 2024 at 3:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.