Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Intelsat 901 27.5w coming to the end?

Wikiposts

Intelsat 901 27.5w coming to the end?

Old Apr 6th 2024, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intelsat 901 27.5w coming to the end?

Originally Posted by Ajmandon
All may not be completely lost ..... yet.

Amongst all the various forum chatter, there is some speculation that those to the West of the Iberian peninsular (i.e. Portugal ) and Northern Spain MIGHT be able to receive the Telstar12 beam (referred to as the North Sea beam) with the satback channels.

Some of the websites which show coverage of satellite beams do suggest that this beam coverage might usefully extend as far south as the Algarve. The issue that could scupper this is that there is an adjacent beam (known as the Med West beam) from the same satellite, which would "overwhelm" where they overlap. The glimmer of hope is that there is one user in Asturias who has reported success but no one yet from Portugal as far as I can find ..... Users in Italy and the Canaries have reported no success.. I wont be able to "play" with my setup for at least a week or so but I'll be keeping track of the various satellite forums for any updates.

Even if possible, those receivers that have relied on "flashing software" e.g. Icecrypt 1600 will likely not work unless/until someone develops a new firmware package. I fear, given the age of these, it might never happen. Those that use Enigma2 programmable type boxes will have to make a few changes themselves .... We shall see and live in hope.

Apart from IPTV type services, legal or otherwise, there is another Satellite service with a number of UK channels, some HD, which might need further investigation. Called Kabelio, a Swiss service, requiring a prepaid CI+Cam package, on Hotbird 13E. I know nothing about it
Thanks for your contribution Ajmandon. Please keep us updated on progress with the new satellite and reception in Portugal when you play with your setup. I have read some of the posts on the other sites but satellite tracking and technical details are a bit strange to some of us. All we want to know is whether or not the new satellite can be picked up in Portugal, whether we can use our seemingly redundant Icecrypt 1600 receivers, perhaps with a new firmware package, or whether we need a new receiver.

Last edited by BillBullock; Apr 6th 2024 at 6:31 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

It appears BBC iPlayer is closing down tomorrow so no watching on computer via vpn - BBC iPlayer app shuts down for good tomorrow - full list of devices facing block (msn.com)
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that the article is referring to their downloads app which happened a week or so ago, not BBC iPlayer.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I think you will find that the article is referring to their downloads app which happened a week or so ago, not BBC iPlayer.
Re-reading the article, you may be correct. Will just have to catch up while we're in UK.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Most entertainment programs are available via bittorrent soon after broadcast (or whatever).

Old Apr 7th 2024, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

What I will miss is the HD video. Neither BBC iPlayer or ITVx are more than SD. Also, it was so much quicker to access whatever channel you wanted.
I watch iPlayer mostly in HD and sometimes it looks UHD, I am watching mammals at the moment and quality is stunning. iPlayer adjusts the quality of the stream to the equipment of the user so maybe you need to upgrade your equipment. Sometimes quality drops to SD for short periods maybe due to network congestion, not sure but most of the time the quality is excellent.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 1Steve
I watch iPlayer mostly in HD and sometimes it looks UHD, I am watching mammals at the moment and quality is stunning. iPlayer adjusts the quality of the stream to the equipment of the user so maybe you need to upgrade your equipment. Sometimes quality drops to SD for short periods maybe due to network congestion, not sure but most of the time the quality is excellent.
What country are you in when watching iPlayer? I think this may be the cause of the problem. I have an i7 chip in my mini PC and have never seen HD. Similarly in my desktop PC. My fibre internet delivers 220 Mbps download speed, so no problem there.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

What country are you in when watching iPlayer? I think this may be the cause of the problem. I have an i7 chip in my mini PC and have never seen HD. Similarly in my desktop PC. My fibre internet delivers 220 Mbps download speed, so no problem there.
Bill
Have you checked your actual DL speeds when using your VPN?
There is a comment here ref your VPN
https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/smart-dns-proxy/
Old Apr 7th 2024, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi wellinever. Smartdnsproxy is permanently on and my MEO download speed is a steady 220 Mbps. I have been using smartdnsproxy for many years, probably from their beginnings. They still charge me only §20 a year as promised. Thanks for the link to the article which confirms that it is fit for my purposes. I was worried that it was the reason I am not seeing HD on iPlayer, ITVx, SkyGo etc but I am not sure now. Am I the only one not receiving HD in Portugal, in which case, there must be something wrong with my PCs and I need to fix the problem?
Old Apr 7th 2024, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

Still early days but the glimmer of hope grows !

From various satellite "enthusiast" forums I've seen a post from someone midway between Lisbon and Coimbra that reports picking up the feed with a 1m dish. Although only under ideal conditions (clear sky and at night).

Another, all the way over in Alicante, reports signal quality (SNR) at 47% and strength (AGC) at 88% with a 1.8m dish. This is not great BUT looking at the published beam contours (if correct) the signal throughout Portugal, including the Algarve, should be quite a bit better than Alicante ... but not as good as Coimbra .... ... Of course "one swallow doesn't make summer" ..... !

Looks likely we're going to need bigger dishes !
Old Apr 7th 2024, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wellinever. Smartdnsproxy is permanently on and my MEO download speed is a steady 220 Mbps. I have been using smartdnsproxy for many years, probably from their beginnings. They still charge me only §20 a year as promised. Thanks for the link to the article which confirms that it is fit for my purposes. I was worried that it was the reason I am not seeing HD on iPlayer, ITVx, SkyGo etc but I am not sure now. Am I the only one not receiving HD in Portugal, in which case, there must be something wrong with my PCs and I need to fix the problem?
So one possible sorted (20 bucks a year is pretty cheap) presume no restrictions on data amount?
I only have an android phone with a free VPN, so using mobile data speeds of maybe 30mbps max, and I get HD on Iplayer.
Watched the start of the Japanese GP highlights on the phone yesterday ll in HD....
But on occasions, as was posted earlier, I do sometimes see the picture quality reduce. I guess to SD, but only on BBC Iplayer,
What size TV do you use?
But as I only watch it on the 6" screen it still looks OK
Old Apr 7th 2024, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

I am with NOS and if they, and other ISPS's, detect that you are using a VPN then they throttle your internet and reduce your speed at peak times. (in my experience they throttled my connection all the time). I am with NordVPN and the default VPN protocol is their own Nord protocol. So to stop my ISP detecting that I am using a VPN I changed the protocol to OpenVpn TCP. After I did this I got my full download speeds for torrents and IPTV and no more throttling. I found the TCP protocol fine and did not try the UDP protocol but it will probably also be fine. If you have not already done this then perhaps give it a go and see if it helps. I am in Portugal.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

My TV screen size is 50 in and so it clearly shows a difference between HD and SD. Mammals was only SD last night on BBC1 and so was rugby on ITVx in the afternoon. No restrictions on smartdnsproxy; I'm probably one of their first customers and I remember them saying $19.99 pa for life.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

My TV screen size is 50 in and so it clearly shows a difference between HD and SD. Mammals was only SD last night on BBC1 and so was rugby on ITVx in the afternoon. No restrictions on smartdnsproxy; I'm probably one of their first customers and I remember them saying $19.99 pa for life.
OK I thought you were using a VPN so perhaps the problem is with smartdns and either your ISP or iPlayer are detecting this and reducing your quality.
Old Apr 7th 2024, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi 1Steve. On MEO fibre and using smartdnsproxy, there is no throttling of download speed and no restrictions as with NOS mobile phone masts. I'm still investigating my equipment and will report back later. I suspect something like my video card is reducing the video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.