Importing a Car

Old Jan 8th 2023, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Finn McCool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing a Car

Thanks. I'll have a look at these sites
Old Jan 8th 2023, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Go there in person if you want to get the job done (and if you can).
Old Feb 27th 2024, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Paul Bearer is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask the original poster if he has resolved this situation as I have exactly the same issue in Spain.
Customs are asking the customs agent for a certificate from the British embassy stating that I was resident in the UK, where the car is registered, in the twelve months prior to taking Spanish residency. I have contacted the embassy who told me to contact the foreign office.I did so only to be told that they haven't issued such certificates since 2013.
I have submitted statements from HMRC clearly showing my UK address, car insurance certificates etc to no avail.
I suspect that Spanish customs knowledge that the UK supply no such certification and are inviting me to pay import duty and VAT, which I will not.
Given the fact that you can only apply for the NLV, the visa I have, at the country in which you reside, and the fact that they did accept my UK residency and put a visa in my passport should be evidence enough of my prior residency in the UK.
Anyone able to offer help?
Old Feb 27th 2024, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Finn McCool is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly I did not resolve the situation. After much trying I eventually scrapped the car as the UK authorities would not confirm my residency and the Portuguese customes simply wont listen as they do not want you to import a car without paying the import taxes. Tragic as it was a 3.2 litre Diesel Mercedes with 120,000miles on the clock - they can do 400,000 easily. The car went to the scrapyard to be broken up. Anyone I spoke to says if you cat get the documentation - give up.