IMI bills

Old Jun 3rd 2023, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IMI bills

Originally Posted by Red Eric
In order to qualify for the exemption, you need to be resident in PT and recorded as such with AT (if you weren't, then obviously it wouldn't be your primary home, and thus wouldn't qualify).

As a resident, you are obliged to declare worldwide income to the PT tax authority and it is that figure that is used to determine whether you are eligible income-wise. With regard to property, there is no obligation on foreign residents to declare foreign property to the tax authority here - only income or gains derived from it. Any property other than primary residence owned in PT will be visible to AT and cross referenced along with the income figure when determining whether the exemption applies.
Thanks for the reply. Although we have never been asked/billed to pay property tax, it appears from what you say we should have been. Will have a natter with Finances on return as I don't want to receive a massive bill some years in the future.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 1:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Mine has gone down by about €10 every year. Is this normal?
Is that an actual per year or an average over time?

The property value on which IMI is calculated (the VPT) is made up of a number of elements, including age of the property. It is recalculated every 3 years, which might explain the occasional reduction. Another factor which could lead to a reduction is the other variable in the IMI calculation, which is the rate set by the municipality. This is limited but varies between 0.3 - 0.45% for dwellings.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Is that an actual per year or an average over time?

The property value on which IMI is calculated (the VPT) is made up of a number of elements, including age of the property. It is recalculated every 3 years, which might explain the occasional reduction. Another factor which could lead to a reduction is the other variable in the IMI calculation, which is the rate set by the municipality. This is limited but varies between 0.3 - 0.45% for dwellings.
It averages out about €10 a year. This year it was €11.24 less than last year.
Old Jun 3rd 2023, 6:20 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
It averages out about €10 a year. This year it was €11.24 less than last year.
Your bills will show both the elements, so you can check which has changed each year.

It's most likely to be a small reduction on the taxa %, which is set by the local authority annually and applied across all properties in their area.
Old Jun 6th 2023, 1:09 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by toots sweet
If you havn't received any notification or bill payment request on the financas site does that mean you are exempt this year?
If what's showing for 2022 in the IMI / Consultar Notas de Cobrança page off the long Services menu says "Contribuinte sem notas de cobrança no Imposto Municipal sobre Imóveis", then you're exempt for last year, based on info held by AT.

You could confirm whether you ought to be exempt by checking the conditions for exemption posted just above your question and verifying whether you fulfill them. If you don't but no bill has been issued, it's probably because AT hasn't been correctly informed of your situation.
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

GrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond reputeGrahamF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrahamF
Thanks for the reply. Although we have never been asked/billed to pay property tax, it appears from what you say we should have been. Will have a natter with Finances on return as I don't want to receive a massive bill some years in the future.
Just to follow up, we visited Finances today to query why we haven't received a demand to pay property tax, during the 6 years since purchase. Only reply we could get was that records show no payment due.
Old Jun 22nd 2023, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

GrahamF When I purchased my property the estate agent told me that I was exempt from paying IMI for 3 years and I said that was a good little perk. He then said it used to be 10 years and then that was reduced to three so maybe when you purchased your property the 10 year rule was still in place.
Old Jun 30th 2023, 4:51 pm
Polished expat

Just to follow up, we visited Finances today to query why we haven't received a demand to pay property tax, during the 6 years since purchase. Only reply we could get was that records show no payment due.
Then I would suggest that that address is recorded with Finanças as your fiscal residence, which would not be correct if, as previously posted, you have remained resident and tax resident in the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2023, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Then I would suggest that that address is recorded with Finanças as your fiscal residence, which would not be correct if, as previously posted, you have remained resident and tax resident in the UK.
We are both tax resident in UK. Wife is a Portuguese citizen and the address on her citizen card is our property, I have permanent residence here at the same address. On verbal advice from Finances, we don't submit tax returns as no income or even bank interest here. We asked the question and as long as they say we have nothing to pay, that's fine with us.
Old Jun 30th 2023, 6:20 pm
Polished expat

Sure, I get that but they can only go by what their records show, presumably as per information supplied by you. And as you are getting a concession only available to tax residents, they presumably have you recorded as such, with the further combination of VPT under the qualifying threshold and no income declared(presumably) doing the rest. That would clearly be wrong if you had joint income from anywhere in the world exceeding the threshold for the exemption.

And if Finanças have you down as tax resident in PT then you also have obligations, with which they might expect or require you to comply. There's also an obligation to inform Finanças of any change in fiscal residence within a certain time limit. If you're fiscally resident in the UK, that is what should show on your Finanças records.
Old Jun 30th 2023, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sure, I get that but they can only go by what their records show, presumably as per information supplied by you..
Neither of us has ever supplied or been asked to supply information by Finances during the couple of decades I've had residence or my wife's lifetime and she's in her 70s now. No intention of going looking for trouble so will just leave well alone until they ask (if ever) any questions.
Old Jul 1st 2023, 6:11 am
Polished expat

Neither of us has ever supplied or been asked to supply information by Finances during the couple of decades I've had residence or my wife's lifetime and she's in her 70s now.
I'd be a bit surprised if you never had to give an address when you got your NIF, and you have an obligation to update that information when it changes. I'd also be surprised if no information was supplied when you purchased any properties you have owned - and I suspect your fiscal address might have been changed as part of that process. You could always check what fiscal address you're registered at if you have online access to your finanças account (or get online access if you don't already have it).

No intention of going looking for trouble so will just leave well alone until they ask (if ever) any questions.
Fair enough. If neither you nor the Finanças are much bothered about the whys and wherefores I guess it'll remain unresolved, unless Finanças wake up to it or other omissions arising from being registered as tax resident here but not complying with consequent obligations.