Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

I want fried fish and chips.

I want fried fish and chips.

Old Apr 16th 2015, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice
Default Re: I want fried fish and chips.

You'll never find any suitable fish for fish and chips in the supermarket, you need to go to a fish market. Pescada in a thin soggy batter is the closest thing you'll get in a Portuguese takeaway and it's no substitute.

As for finding "real" fish and chips in Portugal: until 2013 there was an English-run fish and chip shop in Praia da Rocha (Portimao). It's no longer open. Good fish and chips is one of those things you're better off saving for a trip to England - finding a decent approximation in Portugal is something that will only lead to disappointment I think!
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Riesa
I have been here since End January, I have been looking for somewhere that does cook Traditional Fish and Chips, been down in Albufeira a few times, but not spotted anywhere yet, tried to make my own but from frozen fish, not seen any nice fish on the counter to batter yet. but will look when I get out again for some Hake at my supermarket, Never seen it in Continente, Intermarche or Pingo yet, but will double check when out. x
Bit of a trip Riesa (but if you have been to Albufeira] Try the Dutch run Fish,n,chip shop on main st Carvoeiro,We found it pretty good.Can't say if the fish was frozen beforehand though
Old Apr 16th 2015, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Tried with Pollock last night but it broke up so we made a stir fry with it.

It would help to buy fish fillets with the skin on to hold it together. Perhaps buy a whole Robalo or other bigger whole fish and fillet it myself. Not sure if Continente will sell a portion of their whole fish though.

Last edited by Ukkram; Apr 16th 2015 at 10:49 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:45 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back to PT,in our local Auchan/Jumbo supermarket in Lagoa, fresh Hake !!