Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

I want fried fish and chips.

Wikiposts

I want fried fish and chips.

Old Apr 12th 2015, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default I want fried fish and chips.

I just cannot get fish that can fry here. I have tried frozen Pollock, Panga, Tilapia, Halibut and Hake.

After thawing, they get so thin that they are actually see through and not condusive to frying. I am used to Hake at 1" thick at least but cannot find it here.

What fish do you guys use for Fish n Chips?
Old Apr 12th 2015, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want fried fish and chips.

Buy fresh from our local market
Old Apr 12th 2015, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
Buy fresh from our local market
What fish?
Old Apr 12th 2015, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ukkram
What fish?
Hake(pescada), although i do the cooking i never cook fish but if out for a meal i often have "fillets de pescada" which is fried hake in batter. My mother inlaw does a good job of it too, always buys it fresh and makes her own batter!

I suggest you try it in a few restaurants at least, lovely if done well! If you're near the Porto airport pop into "o Carlos" (Alonso known as o Carlos leitão) which is about 1km away, they do a lovely job of them!

http://restauranteocarlos.com

Last edited by gedscottish; Apr 12th 2015 at 11:41 am.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 6:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely buy it fresh and fillet it yourself - badejo is very good. Or hake, which you can find larger fresh specimens of than are used for frozen fillets.

Last edited by Red Eric; Apr 12th 2015 at 6:40 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

oil choice is half the battle , lard is still king , I use Scottish cold pressed rapeseed oil rather than veg or sunflower oil for everything.

Sure its expensive using SCPRO but doesnt have the vitamin additive for prolonging the life of oil , which instead makes chips yellow coloured that gets darker as they get cold , and is better than the much loved olive oil for health though but rarely advertised as so , so much that i use it in salad dressings too.

flour the fish before battering , try using egg whites fluffed for the batter mix but fold in, or ice cold sparkling bottled water , or the old fav beer. Have a proper thermometer , or use a drizzle of batter to get the right temp , dont overload the basket.

Try double batter with semi frozen fish , 1 or 2 mins in fryer for first fry just to cook on the first coat, back out , reflour and rebatter , back in.Its the mutts for onions rings too.But is most likely very bad for cholestrol levels and gluten intolerences and can seem overly greasy , but you can work around that with a drainer in the oven just like the chip shops.

Chips , dont forget the double fry unless its frozen chips.Proper chips need two cooks , two heat settings.For extra crispy blache them before hand , then shake them to abrase the surface in a metal seive type drainer , ice cold dip them , then dry em off in the oven for two minutes....deep fry when ready.

Portuguese potataoes are not the best for chips , avoid egyptian also , trial and error really to find a match.

I do reccomend the tefal actifry for chips , over all the other dry fryers , for those wanting a lower fat content , but takes a bit of trial and error to get the best results , which varies depending on size and homemade v prepacked chips.For prepacked chips dont bother adding extra oil as they are already coated , give 5 mins , stand them for 5 , put them in and take em out and shake em every 5 mins until done to ones preferences.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 5:39 am
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Thank you Algarveandroid gonna follow your plan for fresh battered lard fried fish for me Pat. He is gonna LOVE this....might even give him the remote control and send him to the moon with pleasure...., well might just let him have it during the adverts..., you know too much of a good thing 'n all, don't want it goin' to his head or nuttin, Real beer batter fish 'n chips in lard with TV? Priceless ......, ohhhh nooooooooooo, da drink? What about DA DRINK? Any thots fellas? Or shall I just stay wit Gods gift, Guinness?
Old Apr 13th 2015, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Sounds very delicious. I can do it myself if only I can find the proper fish.
Halibut seems the best so far as I cannot get fresh Hake.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Sounds very delicious. I can do it myself if only I can find the proper fish.
Halibut seems the best so far as I cannot get fresh Hake.
No fresh hake?! Are you sure, fresh "pescada" is very popular here and I'm just and hour down the road?!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

No fresh Pescada at our Continente. Only frozen. We have 2 Continentes here and not one has ever had fresh Pescada.
After defrosting, they are paper thin and disgustingly useless for fish n chips.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

Mark you not got a local fish market , might need to learn the art of the fillet....cheap knives done work well.I use a very old chinese cleaver and pliers for the pin bones....I love df fish , but one bone can put me off doing them again for more than two years at a time.At a push a good fishing knife works wonders.

Munster , a little white pepper in the flour mix , fine ground , little onion powder , pinch of tumeric.No more than the tip of a galao coffee handle spoon as a pinch , and only in the dry flour that you powder the fish with before the batter dip. Rather than the irish mothers milk , for the beverage , try ice cold desperados .... tequila flavoured cervesa for washing it down with....I am particualry fond of the draft lager from Central brewers too , shame its draft only.

I also have been experimenting with Potato farls for the Irish/Scots fried brekkies , seeing as how you like the black stuff.But I am looking for someone that could make me a press from stainless , like the ones for tortillas , but deeper to keep the fluffyness.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 4:35 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Algarveandroid, oh goodness, I tremble.... did you say 'tortilla'? I know how to make tortillas, yup I do, both flour and corn,....and, and....and I DO have arriving in June with the rest of my things Masa Harina and presses, but my real specialty is a tasty smoked Chipotle Salsa served with homemade tortilla chips and fresh squeezed lime Margaritas that help you talk to Jesus....... NOW we're talk'n FOOD.... need to start a new thread for this conversation
Old Apr 14th 2015, 1:25 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

No fresh Pescada at our Continente. Only frozen. We have 2 Continentes here and not one has ever had fresh Pescada.
That does surprise me - I thought the one in Meadela had a reasonably well-stocked fish counter, though I haven't ever bought any from there.

Alternatives - there are a couple of street vendors selling from handcarts. They often have some good stuff, though obviously they won't clean the fish for you so you'd have more than just the filleting to do.

There's a fish stall inside the Municipal Market (close by the SEF building).

There's an excellent fish shop on the dockside - past where the Gil Eanes is moored, going away from town. Left hand side as the road bends away to the right. Not cheap but a good range and fantastically fresh.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I can actually see the Meadele Continente from my window so buy all my groceries there and believe me that I have never seen fresh hake there.

I have not been to the fish monger in the municipal market but will check it out. Nor have I been to the dock side one.

European hake is under threat so most hake is imported from South Africa and Chile hence it is frozen.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 4:00 am
Just Joined

Riesa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been here since End January, I have been looking for somewhere that does cook Traditional Fish and Chips, been down in Albufeira a few times, but not spotted anywhere yet, tried to make my own but from frozen fish, not seen any nice fish on the counter to batter yet. but will look when I get out again for some Hake at my supermarket, Never seen it in Continente, Intermarche or Pingo yet, but will double check when out. x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.