Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How do I do this?

How do I do this?

Old Sep 24th 2014, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: How do I do this?

No. You swipe your card and press the top LHS button and a couple of slips come out with 10%, 15%, 25% typed in bold on them. These are handed in at the till after totaling your goods. The cashier selects a few and keys in the discount.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

A young girl slipped on the wet steps and bashed herself unconscious here today. I had no idea who to phone and felt helpless. Within seconds, some guy pitched up and phoned for help.
Is there a number similar to the 911 here in PT? Are there paramedics here as the ambulance arrived and just packed her for transport. No immediate assistance was given by the driver and his helper.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

112 = Bombeiros emergency number
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:49 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you're cut out for this Ukkram?

I don't want to be too harsh but honestly, if you've been here 3 or 4 months or longer don't you think you ought to know the emergency number by now? It's plastered all over the emergency vehicles, which you can see almost every day, it's in the phonebook, you can look it up on the internet etc etc.

Isn't it the kind of thing you'd inform yourself about as a matter of course (ie before you found yourself in a situation where it was needed and you didn't know it off the top of your head) if you'd recently moved country?

Or was it a rhetorical question to which you knew the answer and were just trying to raise awareness for those who might not?
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Are you sure you're cut out for this Ukkram?

I don't want to be too harsh but honestly, if you've been here 3 or 4 months or longer don't you think you ought to know the emergency number by now? It's plastered all over the emergency vehicles, which you can see almost every day, it's in the phonebook, you can look it up on the internet etc etc.

Isn't it the kind of thing you'd inform yourself about as a matter of course (ie before you found yourself in a situation where it was needed and you didn't know it off the top of your head) if you'd recently moved country?

Or was it a rhetorical question to which you knew the answer and were just trying to raise awareness for those who might not?
If you don't mind me saying so, that's a bloody arrogant remark...... The bloke asked a perfectly reasonable question that he needed an answer to and you, nor I, nor anyone else has any idea what other problems he's had to contend with since he arrived.......... the whole point of this forum is for ex pats and others to help people who need to have their questions answered....... to kak him out for asking a question is bloody ridiculous!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:52 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

112 is used in many countries as the emergency no including the UK
I am surprised that someone who has been in PT/Europe for months did not know it.
What would he have done if involved in a road accident even where it is a legal requirement to call the GNR.
Failing to do so would have resulted in even more issues.
Regarding the treatment received by the victim it depends who the ambulance came from , some are equipped to give on the spot treatment others just to get the victim to hospital asap.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually I have not had a cellphone but purchased one yesterday for emergencies and I had the number 132 but I posted for confirmation.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I was here for a few months before I realized one day that I was unsure of the emergency number [I didn't need it at the time!].
I asked down at our local police station; as I have the office number programmed in my phone now, in the event of [say] a home invasion, should I call them directly or use the emergency switchboard?
Officer said better to use 112, because they patch it back through within seconds and they always have English [also German French and Spanish] speaking operators.
I asked if they can see my location when I call; he said not yet, but they hope to have that system one day soon.
So how do I get help quickly to a house with no number on a road with no name?
Just describe some nearby landmark he said. They have no GPS in their vehicles anyway.
Oh, and the GNR are not locals who know the area really well, they're shifted around from post to post.
21st century has arrived in some areas, but not here...
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife and I have to take mild hypertension tablets daily. They are cheap but our doc only gives us a script for 2 months. So every 2 months we have to go and see the doc for a renewal. This makes it expensive.
In South Africa we got a script for a year and the pharmacy enters the 12 months on their system and we just go and pick it up monthly.
Anyone get scripts for longer than 2 months?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine just gives me a repeat script so I can get it any time I need.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

I ask for 3 vias, then I get three prescriptions, and for one of the tablets, I've managed to get a 60 tablet box, so I use that one for my next request.

We just hand the written request, with either a part fo the box with the name or the info leaflet, over to tthe receptionist, wait three days sometimes and then get the next lot.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I just photocopy the prescription, and use it as many times as I need to.
The pharmacy doesn't mind as long as the Portuguese government isn't paying a share [as they do when you have the health card].
If that's the case, the paperwork has to be perfect; but with the doctor's visit, it surely costs you more.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Unhappy Re: How do I do this?

I got my script from Hospital Particular and it gets printed in duplicate. The pharmacy tears off the duplicate and keeps it. The script also states " valid for 30 days".
Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

We get it there too; it's an A4 sheet. scan and print in hi definition to preserve the barcodes. No one seems to bother with the 30 day part. if they do, you can always still go back to your doctor like before, no harm in trying.
Or; there's a program called photoshop...
Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Liveboard, divulge youre photoshop method pleasse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.