Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How do I do this?

How do I do this?

Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default How do I do this?

Thought I would start a thread on how to do stuff here in PT. I have a few questions and here is one.
I need to pay my utilities but can't do it at a Multibanco machine as it takes too long to Google Translate. The people behind me get irate.
Most banks have an online facility to pay for services using the three MB numbers only and I get stuck here too.
It keeps rejecting the amount as "invalid". (€33.85). I have even tried using a comma and a € sign in the box to no avail. Tried 40 and 40.00.
Getting help from the bank is useless as they don't understand a word of English.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:49 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I do this?

Usining a multi banco is simples
Put in your card follow instructions for you pin no and select pagementos.

You then get a menu for taxes, fishing license etc.

I think the one you want is on the right hand side top.
You then enter the entidade ref on your bill and the amount. The boxes are on the screen,
No need to put in any currency symbol.
Its easy,

PS you are in Portugal why should you expect everyone to speak english in an area where there are not so many expats.
We pay all our bills via MB.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Thanks EMR. Will try tomorrow again from a MB machine. Still more convenient to do it online at home though.
As to your other comment, I did expect no English here in the north but we are happy here in the cooler weather. Our personal choice.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
... It keeps rejecting the amount as "invalid". (€33.85). I have even tried using a comma and a € sign in the box to no avail. Tried 40 and 40.00.
Have you tried 33,85 (ie using a comma but no currency symbol), when using internet banking?

Last edited by RichardHenshall; Aug 18th 2014 at 8:46 pm. Reason: Added ", when using internet banking" for clarity
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

When i use the Multibank to make a payment EDP for example.

Entidade Is 5 numbers you put in

Referancia is 9 numbers you put in

For the amount and it's 33.43 just put in 3343 and it goes in the correct box as 33.43 as the numbers start from the left.

If your bank don't have someone who speaks English then move to one that does.

Peter
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Peter advice is 100% - this may help

SIBS Multibanco
Old Aug 19th 2014, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

My bank website allows you to select English. I pay all my bills by direct debit or on the computer. The only time I use a MB machine is to withdraw cash.

Last edited by BillBullock; Aug 19th 2014 at 9:35 am.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all the help. MB utilities is Pagamentos -- Top left thingie and off you go.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Get yourself online banking and pay all your bills etc from the comfort of your own home!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Get yourself online banking and pay all your bills etc from the comfort of your own home!
I did mention that I would prefer to do it from home online but had issues with my bank account and hopefully this has now been resolved.
While at the BPI bank, the manager happened to hear us having difficulty with the lingo and came over to help. He spoke perfect English and sat an hour with us explaining how the MB works and the website for online transactions. He was enjoying practicing his English.
My account was blocked due to mistakes by me.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now that the problem has been resolved, I have another question.
If I buy stuff from the UK online, do I pay 23% tax at the post office when I collect it?
In South Africa, all online purchases from foreign countries stays at customs until you mail them the invoice and they tax you 14% that you pay at the post office upon collection.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:35 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

In Theory No.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

We buy quite a lot of stuff online and so far have not been charged any additional taxes for anything bought from within the EU.

However, buying from outside the EU such as RSA, Tanzania, Kenya or the US incurs astronomical taxes..... not only do they hit you for tax on the item but also on the cost of the shiipping/postage AND the cost of the container it comes in.

There are perfectly legal ways to reduce that though. We recently imported a crate of goods from RSA but imported through Denmark rather than straight into PT and the IVA/VAT charge went from 23% to 5%.

Even with the delivery costs from Denmark to PT on top, we saved over a grand.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good idea Steve. Get it sent to an EU country with low VAT and forward it from there free of tax. That is stuff from outside the EU.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon charges 23% tax on items sent from the UK to Portugal instead of 20%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.