how do I become a resident

how do I become a resident

Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
My thoughts;.
I'll go with mfesharne's FACTS if that's OK with you Richard!
"However, one of the very few definites is that Portugal has said that any UK passport holder in Portugal by 30th January 2020 will have the right to register residency as a right until 31st December 2020."

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/brexit/
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do I become a resident

You are welcome to draw your own conclusions from the facts but remember that the law quoted on the SEF webpage you are quoting is titled 'Aprova medidas de contingência a aplicar na eventualidade de uma saída do Reino Unido da União Europeia sem acordo' and was published on 28th March 2019. There may be later laws that are relevant and it's just that SEF haven't bothered to add them to the webpage.

It will be interesting to learn, in a few months, what interpretation is used by those Câmara employees who are processing applications for registration of residency.

Every Brit who is resident in Portugal at Brexit is guaranteed the right to register residency. That may be a fact but the deadline for registration may not be 31st December 2020 in every case.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Old Jan 17th 2020, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euroguy
I'll go with mfesharne's FACTS if that's OK with you Richard!
"However, one of the very few definites is that Portugal has said that any UK passport holder in Portugal by 30th January 2020 will have the right to register residency as a right until 31st December 2020."

It is clear from this very same source that people who arrive any time within that transition period, up to December 2020, can register under pre-Brexit rules. To quote from that source:

Under the term of the Agreement, UK nationals and their family members who already are permanent residents in Portugal will be able to maintain that right. And all those who arrive before the end of the transition period (31 December 2020) will be able to acquire permanent residence status after completing a five-year residence period.
The Portuguese Government wants to reassure UK nationals and their family members living in Portugal that they are welcome to stay.

This is expanded later in the document. The only thing that will happen is that, at the end of this months, we will no longer be members of the EU... but the rules will not change until the transition period ends,
Old Jan 17th 2020, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by Diddion
It is clear from this very same source that people who arrive any time within that transition period, up to December 2020, can register under pre-Brexit rules. To quote from that source:
The only thing that will happen is that, at the end of this months, we will no longer be members of the EU... but the rules will not change until the transition period ends,
Are you 100% sure of your statement??

So even though mfesharne said l need to be registered BEFORE 30th Jan 2020, you are telling me different?
Old Jan 17th 2020, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

atlasthemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

wow...Im not the only one that is confused. Thank you ALL for your thoughts and guidance. Gambling on a straight forward with draw agreement is a gamble so I have just booked a flight out to Lisbon. Im about to start a new post..."does anyone have a cheep cottage / apartment / chite to rent for 3 months ". ATLAS
Old Jan 17th 2020, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

So even though mfesharne said l need to be registered BEFORE 30th Jan 2020, you are telling me different?
Yes, I am 100% sure, but does that mean I am 100% right? However, it would be unwise to accept anything on this forum as definitive - and I include my posts within that caution. I could be wrong, or only partially wrong!

Please, therefore, decide the position for yourself. The link in my post above is one such authoritative summary, Not satisfied? This is what the UK government has to say: UK Government - Living in Portugal

And here is a particularly important statement from that government web page:

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal and you are resident in Portugal before the end of the implementation period you will be able to stay.

The implementation period is another term for the transition period. I cannot see any interpretation other than that residency obtained after January 31 but during the transition period will mean you can stay. That is on the assumption and, I suggest, virtual certainty, that we leave the EU with the Withdrawal agreement accepted on both sides. If the UK were to leave without a withdrawal agreement then, yes, the 31 January date would have been the latest for securing residency on original terms, which is why, I believe, there remains some uncertainty in many people‘s minds. That date is now effectively irrelevant unless, for some reason, the agreement is rejected. Hardly likely, since it is accepted by the UK, and no EU country would wish to be seen as responsible for scuppering such an important deal.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Clear as mud mate!
Old Jan 17th 2020, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clear as mud mate!
Really? Sorry, I was trying to be accurate and helpful.

And, judging by your tone in this and previous posts in this thread, I somewhat doubt whether I will ever be your mate.

Last edited by Diddion; Jan 17th 2020 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Diddion: You're assuming there will be a transition period but that isn't yet 110% guaranteed.................. My guess is there almost certainly will be but it's not yet 110% guaranteed.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Diddion: You're assuming there will be a transition period but that isn't yet 110% guaranteed.................. My guess is there almost certainly will be but it's not yet 110% guaranteed.
I think we are on the same page, as I said that’s it does depend on the final ratification by the EU of the withdrawal Agreement, but I think that a rejection by EU is vanishingly small.

And the only real belt and braces approach, to secure residency without any question, will be to get it all done and dusted this month, as you say, but not a big window of opportunity left.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 9:33 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk
wow...Im not the only one that is confused. Thank you ALL for your thoughts and guidance. Gambling on a straight forward with draw agreement is a gamble so I have just booked a flight out to Lisbon. Im about to start a new post..."does anyone have a cheep cottage / apartment / chite to rent for 3 months ". ATLAS
You cannot advertise on the forum.

Rosemary
Old Jan 18th 2020, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, that isn't what I said.

What I did say was that PT had passed a law that any UK passport holder in PT by 30th January 2020 would have the right to register residency (as a right) until 31st December 2020.

You will be able to register before that as well assuming the acute variable bureaucracy syndrome doesn't kick in.

See the link below:

Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Actually, that isn't what I said.

What I did say was that PT had passed a law that any UK passport holder in PT by 30th January 2020 would have the right to register residency (as a right) until 31st December 2020.

You will be able to register before that as well assuming the acute variable bureaucracy syndrome doesn't kick in.

See the link below:

In other words, mfesharne, you are saying that this is nothing to do with Brexit negotiation? That being the case, even if the Withdrawal Agreement somehow failed, there would be no problem obtaining residency during the whole of 2020?
Old Jan 18th 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Diddion
In other words, mfesharne, you are saying that this is nothing to do with Brexit negotiation? That being the case, even if the Withdrawal Agreement somehow failed, there would be no problem obtaining residency during the whole of 2020?
More precisely, the PT Govt have made a law that says any UK passport holder in Portugal by 30th January this year will have the right to register residency (as a right not a privilege) until 31st December 2020.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the withdrawal agreement, and possible transition period, no transition period or anything else.

It's an entirely different thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.