Reload this Page >

how do I become a resident

how do I become a resident

Old Jan 28th 2020, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by EU.flag
For our sanity sake, stop quoting you pointless dictionary.
Do you eat dictionary for breakfast every day? Any chance you give it a break?
LOL, there are a few guys on here who are a little overboard with their preciseness, I think they're having a competition to prove something I don't personally comprehend....but, they do also give out valuable info!
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
For our sanity sake, stop quoting you pointless dictionary.
Do you eat dictionary for breakfast every day? Any chance you give it a break?
But, in principle, if we ignore the niceties of the language then we do open ourselves to making incorrect decisions and coming to erroneous conclusions. Mfesharne is one of the most valuable and respected members of this community and has a huge fund of knowledge - even if you are irritated by what he says, sometimes, ignore him at your peril.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
To the best of my knowledge there is no tie-up between registering at the Câmara and an alteration to your tax residence status - you would personally have to alter that at a Finanças office. As you say you have avoided previously becoming resident, I assume you're sure that you haven't yet done that?
That's good to hear. I have to say that if the Camera did let financas know everytime anyone registered that would be rather surprising. Yes, I am sure that I've never been tax resident I've had my appartment since 2015 and go back and forth but have never spent more than about 3 or 4 months in Portugal and have only ever paid PT tax on my Alojomento Local property, which the UK consider a Furnished Holiday Letting, both that and everything else are declared in UK.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
That's good to hear. I have to say that if the Camera did let financas know everytime anyone registered that would be rather surprising. Yes, I am sure that I've never been tax resident I've had my appartment since 2015 and go back and forth but have never spent more than about 3 or 4 months in Portugal and have only ever paid PT tax on my Alojomento Local property, which the UK consider a Furnished Holiday Letting, both that and everything else are declared in UK.
Yes, looks like you have not got any problems with respect to residency.
By the way, I see that USS pensions are not regarded as government pensions, so are only taxable in your country of residence. This makes it more valuable during NHR, since it will be tax free (see later!) but less valuable later, since when your NHR ends it will be taxed on normal Portuguese scale rates and the UK Personal allowance and generally tax rates will not be available to you for this.

Pensions for new NHR holders will be taxable at 10% for ´new´applicants of NHR. I believe that people who are resident by December 2020 can still apply on the existing (zero tax) rate, even if that application is made up to March 31 2021. Please treat these dates with some caution: I may be wrong.