Reload this Page >

how do I become a resident

how do I become a resident

Old Jan 24th 2020, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cortiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Theydon't need to accept changes made between the versions of the Bills presented to the UK Parliament as those items deleted or otherwise amended don't touch on either the Withdrawal Agreement legal document or the accompanying political statement and were merely a vehicle for persuading waverers in a hung UK parliament to vote for the first version.

Their removal from the UK's Withdrawal Agreement Bill in the new Conservative overall majority parliament doesn't constitute an amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement itself.
Ah, didn't realize that. So that means there is no conceivable reason for the EU to reject what they previously agreed upon. I know it's not done until it's done, but it really seems like just a formality at this stage.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 6:39 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cortiz
Ah, didn't realize that. So that means there is no conceivable reason for the EU to reject what they previously agreed upon. I know it's not done until it's done, but it really seems like just a formality at this stage.
Yes, that's right.

All the wheeling and dealing's already done. There'll be some in the EU Parliament who'll vote against but not in anywhere near enough numbers to quash it.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

but who cares as long as the French and Germans agree........lol
Old Jan 25th 2020, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euroguy
Put your cup down & read this latest info mfeshaky hands! ;-)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...box=1579896422
You ummmmmm do realise that's the same crap paper that misreported at 1010 am yesterday that the EU had agreed to the WA & therefore the TP until the end of the year....... When in fact, the EU President had signed it but the other 27 member states have yet to vote on it?

As I said, many a slip .twixt cup & lip.......................... & personally, I'll believe it only when it's actually done & I place absolutely no faith in any politician ever.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:10 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
but who cares as long as the French and Germans agree........lol
I don't think it works like that in the EU Parliament, where voting tends to be transnational and more along the lines of political affiliation.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:14 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by mfesharne
..the other 27 member states have yet to vote on it?
They do?

Both the President of the Commission and the President of the Council have signed - the latter represents all 27 of the heads of government or state in that institution in this case, does he not? I'd be surprised if they need a (or another) vote.

The EU Parliament still does, though.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
They do?

Both the President of the Commission and the President of the Council have signed - the latter represents all 27 of the heads of government or state in that institution in this case, does he not? I'd be surprised if they need a (or another) vote.

The EU Parliament still does, though.
I can only go by the media reports I see but all of the ones I've seen are saying that the 27 member states still have to vote on it.

The only variation I've seen is some sources claim all 27 members have to agree, some say more than half & some say at least a 2 thirds majority but bearing in mind the Telegraph getting it as wrong as they did yesterday I guess we have to take apll of it with a pinch of salt.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

I can only go by the media reports I see but all of the ones I've seen are saying that the 27 member states still have to vote on it.

The only variation I've seen is some sources claim all 27 members have to agree, some say more than half & some say at least a 2 thirds majority but bearing in mind the Telegraph getting it as wrong as they did yesterday I guess we have to take apll of it with a pinch of salt.
Votes have to be unanimous.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: how do I become a resident

You ummmmmm do realise that's the same crap paper that misreported at 1010 am yesterday that the EU had agreed to the WA & therefore the TP until the end of the year....... .
So further down the page you admit to just having to wait for the next media report for "valid" information yet you pull me up for inserting a link to a media report...................Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old Jan 25th 2020, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Euroguy
So further down the page you admit to just having to wait for the next media report for "valid" information yet you pull me up for inserting a link to a media report...................Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Wasn't 'pulling you down' at all...................... But rather pointing out that the standard of journalism & factual reporting of that particular newspaper has dropped alarmingly in recent years.

There was a time the Telegraph was one of the better & more informed sources but those days appear to be long gone....................... How on earth could they have got such an important subject so very wrong FFS?

Seems to me that both the author & editor didn't even take a few minutes to do their research & check facts & to me, that's an appallingly bad level of professionalism.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 4:34 pm
Polished expat

Have you any links to anything that's not behind a paywall?

EDIT - OK, I've found one. I reckon the Commons Library is an authoritative enough source.
How will the EU ratify the WA?

The process for EU ratification of the WA is set out in Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union. This is a two-step process. The European Parliament must give its consent to the agreement. The Council of EU will then need to give its final approval to the agreement by a ‘qualified majority’. The Council of the EU is made up of ministerial representatives of each Member State.
Brexit next steps: Ratifying the EU Withdrawal Agreement

Resolves the question of unanimity as well, which makes it falling in the EU Council a complete non-starter even if it wasn't already.

Last edited by Red Eric; Jan 25th 2020 at 4:48 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Diddion
Votes have to be unanimous.
That's exactly what I always thought as well but some media are claiming otherwise.

If it does have to be unanimous & bearing in mind there are several othe member states that are becoming ever increasingly anti EU the apple cart becomes significantly more unstable so an ever increasing number of possible slips 'twixt cup & lip.

As I said previously, I don't trust any politician & will believe it when it actually happens.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:35 pm
Polished expat

That's exactly what I always thought as well but some media are claiming otherwise.

If it does have to be unanimous ...
Some media are correct.

It doesn't have to be unanimous. Also, it's merely a formality at this late stage :

The Council vote to give final approval to the WA will take place after the European Parliament vote. No Council meeting is scheduled between 29 and 31 January. It is expected that the Council will take the vote by a written procedure, whereby Council members agree to provide their votes in writing.

The vote will be by ‘reinforced qualified majority’. Standard ‘qualified majority’ requires approval by 55% of Member States representing at least 65% of the total EU population. A ‘reinforced qualified majority’ requires 72% of Member States representing at least 65% of the population. This effectively means that representatives of at least 20 of the 27 remaining Member States will be required to approve the WA.

Under Article 50, the withdrawing Member State does not take part in votes on its withdrawal. As such, the UK will not take part in the Council vote on the WA.

The WA has already been approved by Member States’ leaders in the European Council. The Council vote is regarded as a formality.

The Council has already approved a draft decision on the conclusion of the WA Withdrawal Agreement.
Final approval comes from the Council of the EU
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

You know what?

This enormous thread has got to the point where I have no idea of what I, or anybody else, is talking about.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

.. am I right to assume that you have a formal Residencia document (an A4 sheet with the EU stars)?
yes, when I thought we might exit without a deal I thought I had better stay long enough to establish residency and I got a sheet at the end of last year saying I was an EU citizen.

Finally, do you have online access to the Finanças website, with a login password?
I believe I do, though I've never used it as my accountant handles all my dealings with the Financas so far.

If you have a Residencia and login, then you should apply online for NHR, if no login, then get one immediately and apply for NHR.

The reason is that NHR status continues for 10 years. But if, during that 10 year period, you are non resident, it is not cancelled. You just don’t get the benefit of it during that time.
Thanks so much for explaining this, I did not know that I could start NHR if I wasn't elligible to get the benefit yet. I'd beeen holding off applying because I wanted the ten years to cover me at a time when I would actually want to spend most of the year in Portugal. Also, because you can only apply when you haven't been resident ( I suppose it means 'tax resident' in the previous 5 years I have been careful NOT to establish residency until now, in order to leave open NHR for the future.

I heard yesterday, by the by, that the Portuguese are actually considering getting rid of NHR. Do you know if that is true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.