Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

how do I become a resident

how do I become a resident

Old Jan 15th 2020, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by Shanorme
Gosh.... I thought that was going to be a long search but surprisingly, it's filed where it belongs! The fiscal number is registered against my UK address.
Amazing admin! Do you give lessons?
Old Jan 15th 2020, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't want lessons from me. I thought I might need to have a rescue crew on hand before I went searching!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atlasthemonk
Thank you all for your help....Is there any advantage of not being a NHR, ie as a resident without NHR status does the 183 day residency rule still apply and does all my world wide income become taxable in Portugal? etc
I can't give a full answer to this but I know that you can be tax resident in more than one country, or tax resident for part of a UK tax year so I cannot see how the residency rule can be as strict if you do not have NHR status. I have a brother-in-law who is has in the past been tax resident in both UK and Ireland. I remember reading up on this when I first bought a property in Portugal and I think I found the info on the HMRC website. Given that the tax years in the UK and Portugal are different, the calculations of how many days you were in which country in which tax year could get complicated.
When I went and registered my residency in Portugal, having stayed just over 90 days, no mention was made of tax residency but I read somewhere recently (perhaps on this forum) that applying for residency meant you were automatically registered as a portuguese tax resident. Does anyone know more about this. Does that mean 93 days after becoming resident (i.e. when I reach the 183 days) I will be considered tax resident too? At the moment I am registered for taxes in Portugal but am UK tax resident and my portuguese tax payments are offset against my UK taxes. My understanding was that if you took NHR status you gave up being a UK tax resident so if you rented out your house in the UK, which I would want to do if I moved to Portugal permanently, it would be taxed in Portugal and not in the UK but that does not seem to be the understanding of others here. Any further clarification on this would be helpful. At the moment, my NIF is registered with a UK address.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

orangeblossom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
As things stand today, there is no downside to having NHR status.
I am not sure that this is true for all individuals, and here is why, please clarify if my logic is wrong.
I have a pension from a UK public university, which is my main source of income. Although in the UK, university lecturers aren't generally considered public employees they way they are in other countries, the Portuguese might well consider my pension public. Public pensions are exempt from NHR benefits, so as with atlasthemonk the main benefit of NHR doesn't apply to me. I think I read somewhere that the Portuguese don't tax public pensions, if this is correct, then surely if I became a regular Portuguese tax resident that would be more advantageous to me than having NHR status, especialy if it meant I could continue to go back and forth between the two countries and exceed 183 days in the UK if I wanted to (since if I was still partially tax resident in the UK, I would be paying exactly the same tax as I do now).
Old Jan 16th 2020, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I can't give a full answer to this but I know that you can be tax resident in more than one country, or tax resident for part of a UK tax year so I cannot see how the residency rule can be as strict if you do not have NHR status. I have a brother-in-law who is has in the past been tax resident in both UK and Ireland. I remember reading up on this when I first bought a property in Portugal and I think I found the info on the HMRC website. Given that the tax years in the UK and Portugal are different, the calculations of how many days you were in which country in which tax year could get complicated.
When I went and registered my residency in Portugal, having stayed just over 90 days, no mention was made of tax residency but I read somewhere recently (perhaps on this forum) that applying for residency meant you were automatically registered as a portuguese tax resident. Does anyone know more about this. Does that mean 93 days after becoming resident (i.e. when I reach the 183 days) I will be considered tax resident too? At the moment I am registered for taxes in Portugal but am UK tax resident and my portuguese tax payments are offset against my UK taxes. My understanding was that if you took NHR status you gave up being a UK tax resident so if you rented out your house in the UK, which I would want to do if I moved to Portugal permanently, it would be taxed in Portugal and not in the UK but that does not seem to be the understanding of others here. Any further clarification on this would be helpful. At the moment, my NIF is registered with a UK address.
You can, by each country's rules, pass the tests that can cause each country to claim that you are tax-resident in their country but when more than one country can claim you, there are usually tie-breaker tests that determine which country's claim will prevail. The part-year situation really only applies when you move tax-residency from one country to another where you are tax-resident in your 'origin' country for the first part and tax resident in the 'destination' country for the remainder. When the tax years are not aligned the different country's views of the fractions will differ.

Income from real estate is normally taxed first in the country where the property is located and second in the country where the owner is tax-resident, with tax paid in the first country generally allowed against the liability in the second. If the property is in the UK and the owner is tax-resident in Portugal and holds NHR status there should be no further income tax to pay in Portugal - generally considered a benefit.

As has been said repeatedly, NHR status is a tax status (not a residency status) and is available to certain tax-residents in Portugal. It has no bearing on the residency rules for Portugal and only affects the tax you might pay in Portugal.

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I am not sure that this is true for all individuals, and here is why, please clarify if my logic is wrong.
I have a pension from a UK public university, which is my main source of income. Although in the UK, university lecturers aren't generally considered public employees they way they are in other countries, the Portuguese might well consider my pension public. Public pensions are exempt from NHR benefits, so as with atlasthemonk the main benefit of NHR doesn't apply to me. I think I read somewhere that the Portuguese don't tax public pensions, if this is correct, then surely if I became a regular Portuguese tax resident that would be more advantageous to me than having NHR status, especialy if it meant I could continue to go back and forth between the two countries and exceed 183 days in the UK if I wanted to (since if I was still partially tax resident in the UK, I would be paying exactly the same tax as I do now).
I'm no expert in the subtleties of lecturer's pensions but I would imagine that it is mainly up to the UK tax authorities to determine if they have the right to tax a non-resident pensioner's pension and then up to any double-taxation treaty to determine whether the other country can too. If you are going to receive your pension in the UK, own (income-generating) property in the UK and spend more than half the year in the UK you may well find yourself considered a UK tax-resident, in which case you aren't Portuguese tax-resident and cannot have NHR status. Even if you are able to loosen your ties with the UK to allow you to become a Portuguese tax-resident and your pension is only taxed by the UK and it uses up your whole UK personal tax allowance so that any property income is fully taxed in the UK you will still be better off (or no worse off) being tax-resident in Portugal with NHR status (at the moment) than being in Portugal without NHR status, though the latter may be worse than organising your affairs to remain a UK tax-resident.

Remember that you don't get to choose which country you are tax-resident in but you do get to choose what actions you take (such as where you live, work, locate your financial assets etc) that will in turn be used to determine your tax-residency.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Euroguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: how do I become a resident

Originally Posted by mfesharne
NHR is a tax break available to new residents but it is not a visa.

No-one 110% knows for sure what will happen after 31st of this month and there may or may not be a transition period but what we do know is Portugal has passed a law that says any UK passport holder in Portugal by 30th of this month will be able to register residency as a right until 31st December 2020.

So the only way to be 110% sure of being able to register residency as a right is to be here by 30th January this year which is 17 days time.

https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/brexit/
OK, you have me confused (which isn't hard!) so do l need to fly over & claim residency before the 30th Jan or before December 2020???
Old Jan 16th 2020, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

If the WA is ratified, which is highly likely, then December 2020. If it is not signed, then it will need to have been done by 30th of Jan.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: how do I become a resident

If the WA is ratified, which is highly likely, then December 2020. If it is not signed, then it will need to have been done by 30th of Jan.
There are a lot of if's & but's being thrown around on this & other threads, which for a non-expert can lead to confusion & possible upset for the future!
Old Jan 16th 2020, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euroguy
There are a lot of if's & but's being thrown around on this & other threads, which for a non-expert can lead to confusion & possible upset for the future!
That's because everyone is in the same boat and does not know how the ruins are going to play out at the end of the month.

Old Jan 16th 2020, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dingg
That's because everyone is in the same boat and does not know how the ruins are going to play out at the end of the month.
So maybe some people should just either not reply with half arsed answers or just admit to not knowing how it will play out?
Old Jan 16th 2020, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

So maybe some people should just either not reply with half arsed answers or just admit to not knowing how it will play out?
I gave you the facts; should I have patted you on the shoulder and told you everything will turn out just fine instead?
Old Jan 16th 2020, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

I gave you the facts; should I have patted you on the shoulder and told you everything will turn out just fine instead?
Now then Princess, don't go throwing a hissy, but you didn't actually know the answer so why bother pontificating?
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did answer the question but you don't like the answer. I don't have a crystal ball and nor does anyone else on the forum. The likelihood is the WA will be ratified - so you 'should' be fine until Dec 2020 BUT it is NOT a certainty. I really can't make it any plainer or simpler for you. If you don't like the answer, that's tough but it doesn't change the reality.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

I did answer the question but you don't like the answer. I don't have a crystal ball and nor does anyone else on the forum. The likelihood is the WA will be ratified - so you 'should' be fine until Dec 2020 BUT it is NOT a certainty. I really can't make it any plainer or simpler for you. If you don't like the answer, that's tough but it doesn't change the reality.
Let me make this a little clearer for you,,,,,you DID NOT actually answer the question specifically, but you did try your best so for that l thank you.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 6:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you expecting people to be experts when it is impossible due to the fact that the politicians have not defined anything at this stage. So members are trying to work things out and say what they think may happen. Naturally this means that there are bound to be a lot of "if´s and buts". They are not trying to misguide any one, they are not saying "this is how it will be", they are truly trying to be helpful. If the help that they have provided is not to your liking you will need to accept this and not put any blame onto them or be verbally abusive to them.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.