Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How to contact ambulance service?

How to contact ambulance service?

Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:13 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to contact ambulance service?

Originally Posted by OnecalledBob
In your dream world, everything in the Algarve is just perfect isn't it? If you ever make the move here, which I doubt you will, I'd put money on you viewing some things a little differently.
If I was as unhappy as some of you seem I would be back in tbe UK as quickly as I could arrange it.
Why be miserable in the sun.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

OnecalledBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
If I was as unhappy as some of you seem I would be back in tbe UK as quickly as I could arrange it.
Why be miserable in the sun.
You really are priceless!!
I, for one, have no desire to return to the UK, nor have I ever indicated that I am unhappy here. I am however realistic, I see things as they really are and not with your blind adoration. Do you honestly believe Portuguese expats in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter, don't find something that they dislike about the country they have settled in?
Old Aug 20th 2015, 8:22 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Its the expectation that I come across in many expats that all transactions with officialdom etc should be in English and thngs done the English way.
They seem to have forgotten that they are not in the UK.

We may be the exception in that apart from a few close friends we have little to do with other expats, we heard enough negative comments from them in our early days .
Old Aug 20th 2015, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Its the expectation that I come across in many expats that all transactions with officialdom etc should be in English and thngs done the English way.
They seem to have forgotten that they are not in the UK.

We may be the exception in that apart from a few close friends we have little to do with other expats, we heard enough negative comments from them in our early days .
You are contradicting yourself, you say you come across many who expect everything to be done the English way, yet you go on to say you have little to do with other expats.
It is true that there will always be a minority of people would like Portugal to be a 'Little Britain', but it is ridiculous to expect that anyone who emigrates to Portugal or any other country does not at some time have anything negative to say about their experiences. I maintain that your opinion would change if you were indeed a true expat and not just here on holiday, albeit for several months of the year.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 6:49 am
EMR
Banned

You are contradicting yourself, you say you come across many who expect everything to be done the English way, yet you go on to say you have little to do with other expats.
It is true that there will always be a minority of people would like Portugal to be a 'Little Britain', but it is ridiculous to expect that anyone who emigrates to Portugal or any other country does not at some time have anything negative to say about their experiences. I maintain that your opinion would change if you were indeed a true expat and not just here on holiday, albeit for several months of the year.
Hardly on holiday, I work .
As for your reference to lack of contact with other epats, you only have you visit any official
office, edp,aguas,many shops to see the expectation from some that English will be spoken.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
Well one things for sure EMR :-
Judging by the bitterness & spite & lack off quality in a lot off your post ,which includes the terrible spelling , which seems to get worse as the day progress, one trend's to think that one off the phrase in PT you have off pat includes "gin e tonic por favour"
EMR :- You do disappoint me -
As your the expert in every thing to do with PT !
I made a deliberate mistake in the spelling above & you obviously don't say thanks when you order your alcohol.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

As I thought, heresay not personal experience, as with so many of your posts.
You sound as though you have had rather a bad time of it Bob! Sorry to hear that ,but i must agree with EMR .i have used Sao Goncalo ,Alvor, and Faro Hospital and although there has been naturally an initial consultation in Portuguese(my struggling wildly) a polite request to continue in English has always been successful You must have been incredible unlucky. i guess you haven't lived here very long perhaps? Must have made things more difficult for you
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I did state in my post about her Allianz Card miraculously appeared at each reception without us taking it there.

Normal practice Ukk
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to interrupt the mindless bickering...
I know a local guy who has been an EMT / firefighter for 7 years. So I asked him about this subject [the original topic, not the bickering].
He told me that it is mainly a funding issue; the public health service is billed by IMEM for each journey. It is possible to take a patient to a private hospital if requested, subject to approval from the dispatch center. So if the patient or family pledges payment [which may or may not be refunded by their insurance], dispatch might approve.
But he also pointed out that most private hospitals do not receive many emergency trauma cases, and don't have a surgical team standing by.
So in case of a serious life threatening emergency, it's quite likely that the best chance you have is at one of the public hospitals.
The EMT's are talking to dispatch and the hospital as it all goes down, so it seems to me that in an emergency you'd be best to tell them you have private insurance and you will pay the ambulance if necessary, but let them figure out where best to take you, depending on distance as well as the preparedness of the facilities available. They do this every day.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

WHOAH GUYS !! where on earth did all this aggression come from?

Ukk simple wanted a little support here.not to hear you sounding off at each other

Have to say Bob.You kind of dropped me in it there. From your post I assumed you were a newbie.not a long term resident who speaks fluent Portuguese.Why did you post?Do you really find all those hospitals wanting? and the Portuguese system that bad?
Plus I know it's petty,but as it's the order of the day on this post. Ingles You misspelled 'trends' on your post to EMR
This sort of thing really puts people off posting genuine questions.Please stop

Last edited by GeniB; Aug 21st 2015 at 7:43 am.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
WHOAH GUYS !! where on earth did all this aggression come from?

Ukk simple wanted a little support here.not to hear you sounding off at each other

Have to say Bob.You kind of dropped me in it there. From your post I assumed you were a newbie.not a long term resident who speaks fluent Portuguese.Why did you post?Do you really find all those hospitals wanting? and the Portuguese system that bad?
Plus I know it's petty,but as it's the order of the day on this post. Ingles You misspelled 'trends' on your post to EMR
This sort of thing really puts people off posting genuine questions.Please stop
Really am confused by your comments. Firstly I have never suggested I am a newbie, as you call it, GeniB. I said I spoke Portuguese, never mentioned fluency, but I manage. I was merely making the point that not all the doctors in the Algarve speak English as EMR was suggesting. I have found the system in the Algarve lacking in terms of quality of care, sorry to say.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:35 am
EMR
Banned

EMR :- You do disappoint me -
As your the expert in every thing to do with PT !
I made a deliberate mistake in the spelling above & you obviously don't say thanks when you order your alcohol.
I am hardly an expert as I doubt anyone is not even tbe Portuguese who seem to get as frustrated as Expats but who are used to how things work.
We Brits are not used to 30 /40 min waits in a post office or a couple of hours at the local camara only to be told that you do not have the right paperwork.
But there is little point complaining about it because it is not going to change, certainly not in our lifetimes..
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

To EVERY body who has posted on this thread.

As usual thing's jog along nicely , fair questions ,and some sensible replies !
Then a certain "poster" arrives , bucket in one hand shovel in the other & starts flipping -hit all over the thread !

We all know who this is & there confrontational attitude seems never to change !
Nearly every thread this %?$" post on ends up being shambles ,just like this
one.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:30 am
EMR
Banned

Then a certain "poster" arrives , bucket in one hand shovel in the other & starts flipping -hit all over the thread !

We all know who this is & there confrontational attitude seems never to change !
one.
Theree is a solution to you dilema, if you do not like the responses to your posts ,the answer is obvious.
Some think that forums are not just forsharing experiences and obtainkng information but a vehicle for complaint and their own historical predjudices.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

one.

However do you not think that being the only person in the world that is right is a frustrating lifestyle, hence the multitude of posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.