Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Help & Advice Pls. :)Moving to Portugal - working for UK company

Help & Advice Pls. :)Moving to Portugal - working for UK company

Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:35 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help & Advice Pls. :)Moving to Portugal - working for UK company

Originally Posted by max0603
Been on the vino! Lost the original message Back to good old PT on the 2nd October WOOO HOOOO!!!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:27 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Been on the vino! Lost the original message Back to good old PT on the 2nd October WOOO HOOOO!!!
And then it'll be
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:48 pm
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

Off to the Rose Bowl today to watch Eng v Aus cricket match. Oh no! More beer to be consumed!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

Off to the Rose Bowl today to watch Eng v Aus cricket match. Oh no! More beer to be consumed!
Was at the Oval on Saturday to see us lose by 4 runs - gutted! But the alcohol soothed the pain! Hope your day is better than mine was!

Saw the Ashes won though! Smashing!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

billybob is an unknown quantity at this point

tax exempt if less than 90 days spent in UK and tax exempt for income in PT
still pay NI in UK
still get Child benefit as a result
can get mortgage no probs
get residency for better health cover in Portugal.

all info avail free with the UK inland revenue website

good luck with tax free lifestyle
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

deecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nice

Contact British Embassy in Lisbon, they are very helpful and have an information package that covers most if not all of your questions, which they will send to you on request.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

You are right, it's a bloody minefield.

We have just moved and are trying to bring our car, the PT consulate state we have to shut down all our affairs in the UK to avoid paying 'import tax'.

We went to the Tax office in london to check as I don't want all our business in the UK shut down, as my husband will still be working 2 weeks of every month in the UK and I was hoping by paying tax and NI there that I'd still qualify for Child benefit and child tax credit. The lady in the tax office says that's all been abolished and we can only get child benefit etc if husband is actually living in the UK with the children resident there also, not just working there. I'm totally confused as the tax websites say the total opposite...so we're not sure whether to submit a tax return now and close everything there to avoid the car tax or whether we'd be stupid to do that.

The trouble is you speak to one person they say one thing, you speak to another they say something different.

If you work in the UK you should pay your tax there, but Portugal want you to pay all your tax in PT even though there is some sort of treaty where you should only have to declare all income in one country. The UK states you can be resident in more than one country, and have dual nationality, Portugal doesn't agree.

G
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that DWP in Spain came on here a while back and said that if the husband worked in the UK and was a UK resident then the partner in another EU country could get health care & child benefit.

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
You are right, it's a bloody minefield.

We have just moved and are trying to bring our car, the PT consulate state we have to shut down all our affairs in the UK to avoid paying 'import tax'.

We went to the Tax office in london to check as I don't want all our business in the UK shut down, as my husband will still be working 2 weeks of every month in the UK and I was hoping by paying tax and NI there that I'd still qualify for Child benefit and child tax credit. The lady in the tax office says that's all been abolished and we can only get child benefit etc if husband is actually living in the UK with the children resident there also, not just working there. I'm totally confused as the tax websites say the total opposite...so we're not sure whether to submit a tax return now and close everything there to avoid the car tax or whether we'd be stupid to do that.

The trouble is you speak to one person they say one thing, you speak to another they say something different.

If you work in the UK you should pay your tax there, but Portugal want you to pay all your tax in PT even though there is some sort of treaty where you should only have to declare all income in one country. The UK states you can be resident in more than one country, and have dual nationality, Portugal doesn't agree.

G
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I am sure that DWP in Spain came on here a while back and said that if the husband worked in the UK and was a UK resident then the partner in another EU country could get health care & child benefit.
Yes but my husband won't be resident in the UK, hell be resident here but working in the UK.

G
Old Sep 13th 2009, 6:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but my husband won't be resident in the UK, hell be resident here but working in the UK.

G
Whats the period for tax residency / residency in Portugal then? You said 2 weeks a month in the UK he will be spending?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I think if you spend over 90 days working in the UK you are classed as being tax resident there, but they also say you have to pay tax in the UK on all earnings from working in the UK.

In Portugal they want you to declare everything here as I believe and he would also be classed as being resident here for tax purposes and would definitely have to pay caixa here.

I don't know it's so confusing!
Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:37 pm
Senior Moment

I think if you spend over 90 days working in the UK you are classed as being tax resident there, but they also say you have to pay tax in the UK on all earnings from working in the UK.

In Portugal they want you to declare everything here as I believe and he would also be classed as being resident here for tax purposes and would definitely have to pay caixa here.

I don't know it's so confusing!
But you dony pay tax twice because there is a reciprocal agreement. So if you are a tax resident in the UK and you pay tax there, then if you declare it in Portugal then I'm guessing you would show the payments as deductable in Portugal. If tax is higher in Portugal then he would pay just the difference.

But as you say, its so confusing.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:12 am
Gina11

Gina11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jupiter68
Hi

Really looking for some pointers in the right direction.... so hope you can help.

I currently reside in the uk (am British) and looking to move to Portugal. I have discussed this with my manager and she is happy to support this, so basically I will be living in Lisbon (working from home / from the Lisbon office), but still employed by the UK company, and still paid in £ into my uk bank account.

So my questions are:
1) Where do I pay tax - uk or Portugal?
2) Can I get a mortgage in PT, even though my salary is in £ and to a UK bank - was just planning on transferring money over as & when.
3) Do I need to register as resident in PT?

Any other info would be great - just trying to get moving on this (excuse the pun) but struggling to get any info from anywhere!

Thanks

Hi not that I have any shares in the Sunday Times buying a property in Portugal, but go to a good bookshop and have a look at page168 onwards it may help.