Heatwafer

Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heatwafer

We are looking at alternative heating solutions to try to solve our damp problems.

One option is to install Heatwafers in each room.

Does anyone have them and if so, are they any good? Are they expensive to run?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Heatwafer

I have one in each bedroom and two in the living room. They are 400 watts each and so having all five on costs the same as having only one 2000 watt oil filled radiator on. They are effective and I think they are best left on all the time. They raise the temperature of the room gradually and the room then keeps the heat better.
Last year we used four oil filled radiators and our electric bill was horrendous, this year I expect it to be considerably less (haven't had the bill yet) by virtue of the lower wattage.
We haven't had any damp problems at all this year and considering the awful weather I can only put it down to using these radiators.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

I've used them as well, put the 100w ones in wardrobes and it kept all the clothes mould free!!! They are good value for money and not expensive to run
Joao
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

DublinLassie is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of someone in the Eastern Algarve who will supply and install these? I have an individual, wall-mounted and ancient radiator in each bedroom and would love to change them to heatwafers. Any recommendations welcome. Thanks.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll e-mail you details.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

DublinLassie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, The_Hog, I would really appreciate a pm on this. Cheers.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Smile Re: Heatwafer

We bought them last winter and they were great, the main dealer is in Lagos but the electrical shop in Tavira on the corner up from the PT shop is the only shop in this area that sells them.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

Yes we have had Heatwafers in our wardrobes for donkeys years and they work well. Should be part of building spec for all Portugal homes.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DublinLassie
Thanks, The_Hog, I would really appreciate a pm on this. Cheers.
PM sent
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

sukitess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chopper. Would you give me more detail of where electrical shop is and prices if you know them. Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:40 pm
Rui
Just Joined

Rui is an unknown quantity at this point

Houses in Portugal do suffer from damp as I have seen this in many houses, a few options are

1. make sure you have gutters to drain water away from the house.
2. if you have open areas (ie side of the house) that have no need for gutters, build a lean-on-to and install gutters.
3. if you built lean-on-to or sheltered area around the main walls of the house you shoud solve the damp problem , ideally 2 meters shelders around main walls of the house.
4, Water will rise up the walls and you will be able to see where the water is rising or damp occuring.
5. Dig a soak away as far from the house as possible and let all the excess water drain into it.
6. A dry house is a warm house, heater/de-humifiers will solve the problem for now but damp is no good for the house or your health. The above mentioned maybe a bit more expensive but it will turn out cheaper in the long run.

Check around your house and if you want to place a pic of where you think the problem is, I will try to help.

Rui

Last edited by Rui; Apr 7th 2010 at 12:58 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Heatwafer

The electrical shop is Jorge Pariso, if you walk up from the main square in Tavira, pass the Mill Bank and post office on your right hand side and the shop is on the left as you turn to go back down the hill. The prices vary as there are different sizes and we got ours a couple of years ago, he will give you a brochure with the sizes and prices and you can work out what you need for your place.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

garden2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

O Parafuso in Sao Bras de Alportel (near to Luis dos Frangos) also stocks Heatwafers. For more info re prices & sizes & other portugal agents see Heatwafer website www.heatwafercom