Healthcare

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

LaineyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Healthcare

Hi
We have a property in Alvor and so have fiscal numbers etc. Where do we stand with healthcare if we move over to Alvor for a 6 month period? Can we just register with the local GP surgery? What if we needed hospital treatment?
Thanks
Lainey
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:06 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare

No free health care here.For six months,you will have to choose a private hospital and pay for a doc etc,should you need one.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

6 months is awkward if you want to be 100% legit, as technically after 3 you have to take out residency. I'd consider taking out a EU-wide private policy.

I THINK up to three months you would technically be on holiday and therefore covered by your EHIC - it's after 3 months it all becomes grey and complicated.

Similarly, you could just take out an annual travel insurance policy, but that's likely to have a limited length for each trip - and I'd bet it's less than 90 days.

Minefield!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newintavira
6 months is awkward if you want to be 100% legit, as technically after 3 you have to take out residency. I'd consider taking out a EU-wide private policy.

I THINK up to three months you would technically be on holiday and therefore covered by your EHIC - it's after 3 months it all becomes grey and complicated.

Similarly, you could just take out an annual travel insurance policy, but that's likely to have a limited length for each trip - and I'd bet it's less than 90 days.

Minefield!
Thanks! I think there is also another for you can get here which covers you for two and a half years if you're not at an age to receive state pension. Anyone heard of that?
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

newintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nicenewintavira is just really nice

You're referring to an S1, which you apply for from the UK. We SHOULD have qualified for that, but even though we were working (from home in Portugal for a UK company AND paying UK NI (grrrrrr)) they wouldn't issue one.

Individual mileage may (and will) vary
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you only intend to stay 6 months, think very carefully about officially leaving the UK - you can end up having to wait 3 months before you qualify for anything again on your return.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newintavira
If you only intend to stay 6 months, think very carefully about officially leaving the UK - you can end up having to wait 3 months before you qualify for anything again on your return.
Really does sound like a minefield! Thanks for advice though!