British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Healthcare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/healthcare-782357/)

LaineyM Jan 3rd 2013 1:36 pm

Healthcare

Hi
We have a property in Alvor and so have fiscal numbers etc. Where do we stand with healthcare if we move over to Alvor for a 6 month period? Can we just register with the local GP surgery? What if we needed hospital treatment?
Thanks
Lainey

Cleri Jan 4th 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Healthcare

No free health care here.For six months,you will have to choose a private hospital and pay for a doc etc,should you need one.

newintavira Jan 4th 2013 3:41 pm

6 months is awkward if you want to be 100% legit, as technically after 3 you have to take out residency. I'd consider taking out a EU-wide private policy.

I THINK up to three months you would technically be on holiday and therefore covered by your EHIC - it's after 3 months it all becomes grey and complicated.

Similarly, you could just take out an annual travel insurance policy, but that's likely to have a limited length for each trip - and I'd bet it's less than 90 days.

Minefield!

LaineyM Jan 4th 2013 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by newintavira (Post 10464032)
6 months is awkward if you want to be 100% legit, as technically after 3 you have to take out residency. I'd consider taking out a EU-wide private policy.

I THINK up to three months you would technically be on holiday and therefore covered by your EHIC - it's after 3 months it all becomes grey and complicated.

Similarly, you could just take out an annual travel insurance policy, but that's likely to have a limited length for each trip - and I'd bet it's less than 90 days.

Minefield!

Thanks! I think there is also another for you can get here which covers you for two and a half years if you're not at an age to receive state pension. Anyone heard of that?

newintavira Jan 4th 2013 3:52 pm

You're referring to an S1, which you apply for from the UK. We SHOULD have qualified for that, but even though we were working (from home in Portugal for a UK company AND paying UK NI (grrrrrr)) they wouldn't issue one.

Individual mileage may (and will) vary :)

newintavira Jan 4th 2013 3:53 pm

If you only intend to stay 6 months, think very carefully about officially leaving the UK - you can end up having to wait 3 months before you qualify for anything again on your return.

LaineyM Jan 4th 2013 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by newintavira (Post 10464064)
If you only intend to stay 6 months, think very carefully about officially leaving the UK - you can end up having to wait 3 months before you qualify for anything again on your return.

Really does sound like a minefield! Thanks for advice though!