Fiscal numbers

Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Beegly is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fiscal numbers

Can anyone help me with this, I am buying a property in Portugal with a Portuguese bank mortgage. My bank informs me that they have applied for a fiscal number on my behalf. My Portuguese lawyers tax department has asked me for a fee to handle my yearly fiscal affairs including obtaining a fiscal number. On questioning this the lawyer states that the bank will only obtain a provisional fiscal number to get a mortgage and the following "You still need according to Portuguese Law, to have a Fiscal representative in Portugal and obtain a valid permanent Fiscal Number"

I understand the fiscal representation but is it correct about provisional and permanent fiscal numbers ?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

buddiegolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fiscal numbers

Originally Posted by Beegly
Can anyone help me with this, I am buying a property in Portugal with a Portuguese bank mortgage. My bank informs me that they have applied for a fiscal number on my behalf. My Portuguese lawyers tax department has asked me for a fee to handle my yearly fiscal affairs including obtaining a fiscal number. On questioning this the lawyer states that the bank will only obtain a provisional fiscal number to get a mortgage and the following "You still need according to Portuguese Law, to have a Fiscal representative in Portugal and obtain a valid permanent Fiscal Number"

I understand the fiscal representation but is it correct about provisional and permanent fiscal numbers ?
Hi,,I am in process of buying in Portugal and have a Portuguese Lawyer. As I understand it unless you have residency in Portugal you are obliged by Law to have someone in Portugal to represent you...our lawyer is having the utilities in our apartment connected for us as only someone resident in the country can do this...our lawyer has charged us a fee for doing this..
Hope this helps

Wills
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice

Bom dia

All I can add, is that when we had to open a Portuguese bank account, they would not even consider it without us having a permanent fiscal number card. And they would not accept just the number, we needed the physical fiscal card. (try saying that after a few vindho verdes )

I personally havent heard of a provisional one.

On the same note, our cards came through pretty quick via our lawyer.

Hope everything goes through smoothly for you.

Saz1
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses, I am a liitle confused with what the Lawyer says since the Bank were adament they will get the Fiscal Number and already have opened Bank Account with Debit Card and even a Credit Card without asking for one.

I have no problem with the Fiscal represenation, I think I will just ask the Lawyer to talk to the Bank if possible.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

Anyone can obtain a fiscal number in Portugal, you do not need solicitor to do this for you, you can very easily do this yourself, costs around 6 euros, if your solicitor does it then expect a bill of around 70 / 100 euros.
you can have a fiscal number and be resident of the uk, no problems at all, the only thing that is required is a portuguese address, this can be your Portuguese house, an estate agents office, your neigbour, a friend etc.

as for getting utillities connected or swapped over to your name, you can do this yourself, you dont need a solicitor to do this for you.

the more your solicitor does the more he will charge you!! you dont even need a solicitor to buy a house in Portugal (although its best to have one) you certainly dont need one to run around doing all the little jobs that you can easilly do yourself, charging you for his time.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Arkright is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beegly

I have never heard of a Provisional fiscal number your fiscal number is your footprint similar to Ni number and I can only think that the bank may have used a made up number for their own internal administration.
If you are not a resident you will need a fiscal representative there are companies that specailise in this and charge approx 200e per year. Lawyers have started to shy away from this work as a number of them have been left with debts from clients.
Hope this helps
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

The bank has now confirmed that this is correct they have a provisional fiscal number and I need to get a permanent one, as for fiscal representation the lawyer requires 400 euro's for both myself and wife inclusive. Sounds a bit much but I think I will do it for the first year and then look at other options.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

omostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant futureomostra06 has a brilliant future

sounds very expensive, ill do it for 100 euros

all you need is an address in portugal, the fiscal rep doesnt do anything except be a point of contact for you.(with a pt address) in case of any contact from anyone
if your buying a house use that address for your fiscal card then you dont need a fiscal rep. the fiscal rep is only required if you dont have an address in portugal. you can use a friends address or your agents address etc. save yourself from making your solicitor rich!!!