Reload this Page >

First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

EdCasey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

Originally Posted by gedscottish
I would if I could edit out my suggestion above of taking in Serra da Estrela and surrounding area, too out of way and not where you want to live, leave that one for when you love here! For sure though see coastal places I suggested.
Really appreciate your suggestion.
I know we will explore every nook and cranny when we live there, but in 2 week trip we need to narrow down places we would want to live for next X years....
Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Personally I would suggest anywhere between Torres Vedras and Marinha Grande, a personal favourite of mine being Peniche(and the 20km or so south of it). Obidos worth a visit inland while you are there. Nazare is also very nice but gets mobbed in the summer, again worth heading up the coast through it and then on to Pedra do Ouro, from there you could head east to Tomar(historic city) then up to Serra da Estrela if you feel up to the drive and take in the mountain towns of the likes of,Seia, Gouveia over the top of the mountain then down into the valley where you will arive at Manteigas(worth a stay for a night at The Berne Hotel) and drive right to the top of the mountain! Next day, south east to Belmonte(there is an amazing fortified town near here too but can'y mind name just now, it will come to me) and head south down to Algarve to Lisbon and take in Sintra and the historic parts of Lisbon. Make sure you take in some the Alentejo coast on way back up but others on here will be able to advise better exactly which parts of the Algarve and Alentejo are must see areas.____________________________________________ _____________________ p.s Sorry for suggesting such a big drive, otherwise I suggest you book another 2 week stay later in year!
This sounds interesting and exciting thank you, I like driving so no problems - have driven in Australia and USA so used to LONG drives..
Thanks again....Ed
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by EdCasey
This will be my wife and my first visit to Portugal we arrive lisbon Feb 7th for 2 weeks.Want to see if we could retire in Portugal. We like nice quiet beaches, mountain scenery, walking, historic sites, character villages etc. Can anyone recommend places to visit we will have hire car and prepared to drive upto 200 miles from Lisbon..Thanks your help. Ed
I don't think anyone has mentioned Alentejo. It's a beautiful region with the Monchique range of (not quite mountains) but they are very picturesque and good for walking, the west coast and its plentiful quiet beaches plus the rolling countryside dotted with Cork and Oak trees as well as the local vineyards.
I wish you a successful search.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bjejaboz
I don't think anyone has mentioned Alentejo. It's a beautiful region with the Monchique range of (not quite mountains) but they are very picturesque and good for walking, the west coast and its plentiful quiet beaches plus the rolling countryside dotted with Cork and Oak trees as well as the local vineyards.
I wish you a successful search.
Thank you very much.
We are really looking forward to visiting Portugal and putting all the areas suggested on a map to visit.
Knowing my wifes navigation skills we would end up in Madrid , so going to try to pre program sat nav!!
Thanks again ...
Ed
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bejaboz
I don't think anyone has mentioned Alentejo. It's a beautiful region with the Monchique range of (not quite mountains) but they are very picturesque and good for walking, the west coast and its plentiful quiet beaches plus the rolling countryside dotted with Cork and Oak trees as well as the local vineyards.I wish you a successful search.
Oh I mentioned it but said I would leave it to others as I have not explored much of it enough myself, same goes for Algarve, I've been a few times but I'm sure most on here are better informed on the area than I am.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:23 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Looks fantastic, I'll be making sure I go there one of these times I head south again!
It's worth the trip! Marvão is amazing (and nearby Castelo de Vide is nice too), Monsaraz (and Mourão acrosss the bridge) is also nice and the Alqueva is stunning from up on the hill/mountain.

OH - and they are Alentejo!
Old Jan 15th 2016, 5:02 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Azeitao, about 35 minutes south of Lisbon, just by Mt Arrabida. It's a beautiful drive from here to the beaches, over the mountain. Search for 'arrabida' in Google and you'll find some pics.

Azeitao is a wine area, nice small town but close enough to Lisbon which the mrs likes. Does make it easier when we have family flying over too. Also Setubal with a big shopping centre just 15 mins away. But round us is just vineyards and farms.

To be honest there are a lot of great places in Portugal, we came about 2 years ago and spent nearly a year just visiting different parts before we bought our house. Silver Coast is also nice, Algarve too but bit pricier I guess. We got more for our money here than we would have down there, did seriously consider a couple of places - Lourinha on silver coast. But no regrets having bought here.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainflack
I am in Azeitao, about 35 minutes south of Lisbon, just by Mt Arrabida. It's a beautiful drive from here to the beaches, over the mountain. Search for 'arrabida' in Google and you'll find some pics.

Azeitao is a wine area, nice small town but close enough to Lisbon which the mrs likes. Does make it easier when we have family flying over too. Also Setubal with a big shopping centre just 15 mins away. But round us is just vineyards and farms.

To be honest there are a lot of great places in Portugal, we came about 2 years ago and spent nearly a year just visiting different parts before we bought our house. Silver Coast is also nice, Algarve too but bit pricier I guess. We got more for our money here than we would have down there, did seriously consider a couple of places - Lourinha on silver coast. But no regrets having bought here.
Arrabida is great, as is Sesimbra and Setubal is a nice city - all close to Lisbon and with good connections.

South on the Alentejo Litoral is nice too, but either fairly barren or wildly over-exposed, like Vila Nova de Milfontes (New Town of the Thousand Springs) known as the "village of three lies" (it isn't a town, it isn't new and it has no springs...). When you see the area you'll know whether ot not you like it.

It's an easy drive from Lisbon to see Sesimbra, Arrabida, Setubal and down to Milfontes, but you'll find a decent hotel for under 50 Euros a night out of high season - so you might want to stop off in Setubal or thereabouts and get a taste of life outside Lisbon.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by captainflack

We will be looking for somewhere where we can get a little more property for our money so somewhere like Azeitao sounds like a good place to search...
Can you recommend a reliable estate agent in this area..
Oud dream would be to have small B&B we could operate 6 months of year...Thanks your input..
Ed

Last edited by EdCasey; Jan 15th 2016 at 9:20 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by macliam
Arrabida is great, as is Sesimbra and Setubal is a nice city - all close to Lisbon and with good connections.

South on the Alentejo Litoral is nice too, but either fairly barren or wildly over-exposed, like Vila Nova de Milfontes (New Town of the Thousand Springs) known as the "village of three lies" (it isn't a town, it isn't new and it has no springs...). When you see the area you'll know whether ot not you like it.

It's an easy drive from Lisbon to see Sesimbra, Arrabida, Setubal and down to Milfontes, but you'll find a decent hotel for under 50 Euros a night out of high season - so you might want to stop off in Setubal or thereabouts and get a taste of life outside Lisbon.
Thank you for your input.
Arrabida, Sesimbra and Setubal sound very interesting as we are looking for a place to live out ide of major cities.
A village with plenty of amenities within 30 mins-1 hour drive of coast would be ideal..
Can you recommend a reliable estate agent in the areas you mentioned?
Ed

Last edited by EdCasey; Jan 15th 2016 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:40 pm
Resident Cynic

Thank you for your input.
Arrabida, Sesimbra and Setubal sound very interesting as we are looking for a place to live out ide of major cities.
A village with plenty of amenities within 30 mins-1 hour drive of coast would be ideal..
Can you recommend a reliable estate agent in the areas you mentioned?
Ed
I'm not in that area, so can't help much - I just know it from several holidays in and around Sesimbra and a Dolphin-watching trip to Troia (across from Setubal). I spent several years chasing around Portugal, looking at likely spots - so I've visited more of Portugal than Britain or Ireland, or anywhere else....

But I have loved the Alentejo since my first visit over 25 years ago, rattling over cobbled roads in a hired Ford Fiesta. Now you can go for lunch in places that took all day to reach (e.g. Estremoz) and be back in Lisbon for Tea...
I also think Lisbon is the best and most accessible capital city in Europe and love the easy access to Lisbon coast, but other cities Porto, Aveiro, Viseu, etc., have their own character too. So, I'm afraid there's no magic bullet - you just have to put in the mileage!

I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy it though!
Old Jan 15th 2016, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not in that area, so can't help much - I just know it from several holidays in and around Sesimbra and a Dolphin-watching trip to Troia (across from Setubal). I spent several years chasing around Portugal, looking at likely spots - so I've visited more of Portugal than Britain or Ireland, or anywhere else....

But I have loved the Alentejo since my first visit over 25 years ago, rattling over cobbled roads in a hired Ford Fiesta. Now you can go for lunch in places that took all day to reach (e.g. Estremoz) and be back in Lisbon for Tea...
I also think Lisbon is the best and most accessible capital city in Europe and love the easy access to Lisbon coast, but other cities Porto, Aveiro, Viseu, etc., have their own character too. So, I'm afraid there's no magic bullet - you just have to put in the mileage!

I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy it though!
Putting in the miles is not a problem have no issues at all doing that, just trying get an idea where to start looking based upon what other people have found interesting...
Thanks again..

Ed
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:07 pm
Resident Cynic

Putting in the miles is not a problem have no issues at all doing that, just trying get an idea where to start looking based upon what other people have found interesting...
Thanks again..

Ed
Looking back at your wishlist - quiet beaches, mountain scenery, walking, historic sites, character villages etc., you really do need to explore the Arrabida area - it's proximity to Lisbon is a boon. But anywhere in Portugal will tick one or other of your boxes. I'll let the Algarve residents and those on the silver coast tell you about their areas.

The West coast, south from Sesimbra is mostly quiet - although it's the Atlantic, so bays and estuaries are best ... that's why Sesimbra and VN Milfontes are popular - but there are others.

The Spanish border is full of history - like all borders. Below Marvão is the village of Portagem, where Spanish Jews crossed into Portugal on their expulsion in 1492. The castle stood firm against centuries of conflict with Spain - but taken once by a Spanish force commanded by an Irishman

The central Alentejo isn't for the mountaineer .... but the wine and food are great and every town has it's own story, Evora, Estremoz, Beja all have Roman and Moorish influences.

Every town is different, each has it's own gastronomic speciality and history. That's why you need to experience them. Enjoy.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Looking back at your wishlist - quiet beaches, mountain scenery, walking, historic sites, character villages etc., you really do need to explore the Arrabida area - it's proximity to Lisbon is a boon. But anywhere in Portugal will tick one or other of your boxes. I'll let the Algarve residents and those on the silver coast tell you about their areas.

The West coast, south from Sesimbra is mostly quiet - although it's the Atlantic, so bays and estuaries are best ... that's why Sesimbra and VN Milfontes are popular - but there are others.

The Spanish border is full of history - like all borders. Below Marvão is the village of Portagem, where Spanish Jews crossed into Portugal on their expulsion in 1492. The castle stood firm against centuries of conflict with Spain - but taken once by a Spanish force commanded by an Irishman

The central Alentejo isn't for the mountaineer .... but the wine and food are great and every town has it's own story, Evora, Estremoz, Beja all have Roman and Moorish influences.

Every town is different, each has it's own gastronomic speciality and history. That's why you need to experience them. Enjoy.
Thanks your response, we are getting really excited about the trip based upon all of the positive feedback we have received. Thanks again your response we will definetly check out Arribida...
Good to see the Irish have some history in the area☺..Ed
Old Jan 17th 2016, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Marvao looking from the Roman ruins at Cuidade Romana de Ammaia.

A lovely little town with very narrow cobbled streets and limited facilities and excellent views.

Ideal for a visit but I'm not sure about living there permanently.
Attached Thumbnails First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven-dscn3732.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.