Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

EdCasey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

This will be my wife and my first visit to Portugal we arrive lisbon Feb 7th for 2 weeks.
Want to see if we could retire in Portugal.
We like nice quiet beaches, mountain scenery, walking, historic sites, character villages etc.

Can anyone recommend places to visit we will have hire car and prepared to drive upto 200 miles from Lisbon..
Thanks your help.
Ed
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

Originally Posted by EdCasey
This will be my wife and my first visit to Portugal we arrive lisbon Feb 7th for 2 weeks.
Want to see if we could retire in Portugal.
We like nice quiet beaches, mountain scenery, walking, historic sites, character villages etc.

Can anyone recommend places to visit we will have hire car and prepared to drive upto 200 miles from Lisbon..
Thanks your help.
Ed
Have a look at the East Algarve from Faro to Vila Royal Santo Antonio. Fabulous beaches hamlets to Cities less than 10 km island to big hills (don't think Portugal has real mountains). Lots of walks some organised. Have a couple of days base yourself in Tavira one day west one day east you will find exactly what you want.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First visit to Portugal looking for retirement haven

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Have a look at the East Algarve from Faro to Vila Royal Santo Antonio. Fabulous beaches hamlets to Cities less than 10 km island to big hills (don't think Portugal has real mountains). Lots of walks some organised. Have a couple of days base yourself in Tavira one day west one day east you will find exactly what you want.
There is a Portugal outside of teh Algarve you know, you should go visit it, it's very beautiful! 1Mount Pico Azores2,351 m2Piquinho, Azores2,351 m3Serra da Estrela - Torre, Guarda1,993 m4Alto do Talefe, Viseu1,982 m5Pico Ruivo de Santana Madeira1,862 m6Pico do Arieiro Madeira1,818 m7Serra do Gerês - Pico da Nevosa, Vila Real1,548 m8Serra do Marão, Vila Real1,416 m41.248 / -7.8879Serra de Montemuro, Viseu1,382 m40.974 / -7.98810Serra Amarela, Viana do Castelo1,362 m41.814 / -8.195
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

This will be my wife and my first visit to Portugal we arrive lisbon Feb 7th for 2 weeks.Want to see if we could retire in Portugal. We like nice quiet beaches, mountain scenery, walking, historic sites, character villages etc. Can anyone recommend places to visit we will have hire car and prepared to drive upto 200 miles from Lisbon..Thanks your help. Ed
If you want beach and you want the mountain scenery, historic sites near by then I think the obvious choice for you would be the Silver Coast or inland of it, you will have so much on your door step with Lisbon just a short distance away. Try driving an hour up the silver coast from Lisbon then cutting over to check out Serra da estrela and surrounding area.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Thank you very much for your response - much appreciated...
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gedscottish
If you want beach and you want the mountain scenery, historic sites near by then I think the obvious choice for you would be the Silver Coast or inland of it, you will have so much on your door step with Lisbon just a short distance away. Try driving an hour up the silver coast from Lisbon then cutting over to check out Serra da estrela and surrounding area.
This sounds ideal.
Thank you very much for your response. .Ed
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

There is a Portugal outside of teh Algarve you know, you should go visit it, it's very beautiful! 1Mount Pico Azores2,351 m2Piquinho, Azores2,351 m3Serra da Estrela - Torre, Guarda1,993 m4Alto do Talefe, Viseu1,982 m5Pico Ruivo de Santana Madeira1,862 m6Pico do Arieiro Madeira1,818 m7Serra do Gerês - Pico da Nevosa, Vila Real1,548 m8Serra do Marão, Vila Real1,416 m41.248 / -7.8879Serra de Montemuro, Viseu1,382 m40.974 / -7.98810Serra Amarela, Viana do Castelo1,362 m41.814 / -8.195
Thanks your response we definetly want to explore Portugal not just Algarve..
We fly into lisbon as we reallywant to explore outside of Algarve..
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your response.
Where on Silver coast should we head to from Lisbon - where would be good place to think about buying house within 30 minutes drive of beach?
Old Jan 14th 2016, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jessel is on a distinguished road

I would suggest you head for Coimbra, a university city, once the capital of Portugal and surrounded by towns such as Miranda do Corvo, Penela, Lousa and Vila Nova de Poiares all within less than an hours drive to the sea and midway between the airports of Lisbon & Porto.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for your response.Where on Silver coast should we head to from Lisbon - where would be good place to think about buying house within 30 minutes drive of beach?
Personally I would suggest anywhere between Torres Vedras and Marinha Grande, a personal favourite of mine being Peniche(and the 20km or so south of it). Obidos worth a visit inland while you are there. Nazare is also very nice but gets mobbed in the summer, again worth heading up the coast through it and then on to Pedra do Ouro, from there you could head east to Tomar(historic city) then up to Serra da Estrela if you feel up to the drive and take in the mountain towns of the likes of,Seia, Gouveia over the top of the mountain then down into the valley where you will arive at Manteigas(worth a stay for a night at The Berne Hotel) and drive right to the top of the mountain! Next day, south east to Belmonte(there is an amazing fortified town near here too but can'y mind name just now, it will come to me) and head south down to Algarve to Lisbon and take in Sintra and the historic parts of Lisbon. Make sure you take in some the Alentejo coast on way back up but others on here will be able to advise better exactly which parts of the Algarve and Alentejo are must see areas.____________________________________________ _____________________ p.s Sorry for suggesting such a big drive, otherwise I suggest you book another 2 week stay later in year!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Portugal photo gallery on this site may be of interest of you:Portugal : British Expat Photo Gallery
Old Jan 14th 2016, 5:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would suggest anywhere between Torres Vedras and Marinha Grande, a personal favourite of mine being Peniche(and the 20km or so south of it). Obidos worth a visit inland while you are there. Nazare is also very nice but gets mobbed in the summer, again worth heading up the coast through it and then on to Pedra do Ouro, from there you could head east to Tomar(historic city) then up to Serra da Estrela if you feel up to the drive and take in the mountain towns of the likes of,Seia, Gouveia over the top of the mountain then down into the valley where you will arive at Manteigas(worth a stay for a night at The Berne Hotel) and drive right to the top of the mountain! Next day, south east to Belmonte(there is an amazing fortified town near here too but can'y mind name just now, it will come to me) and head south down to Algarve to Lisbon and take in Sintra and the historic parts of Lisbon. Make sure you take in some the Alentejo coast on way back up but others on here will be able to advise better exactly which parts of the Algarve and Alentejo are must see areas.____________________________________________ _____________________ p.s Sorry for suggesting such a big drive, otherwise I suggest you book another 2 week stay later in year!
Miles from the sea on the Spanish border, but don't miss Marvão, a fortified town 843 metres above sea level, on one of the highest points in the Serra de São Mamede, it was included in the book '1000 Places to see Before you Die'.
.....and/or Monsaraz, another fortified town now surrounded by the Barragem de Alqueva, one of the largest man-made lakes in Europe.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by macliam
Miles from the sea on the Spanish border, but don't miss Marvão, a fortified town 843 metres above sea level, on one of the highest points in the Serra de São Mamede, .
Looks fantastic, I'll be making sure I go there one of these times I head south again!
Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jessel
I would suggest you head for Coimbra, a university city, once the capital of Portugal and surrounded by towns such as Miranda do Corvo, Penela, Lousa and Vila Nova de Poiares all within less than an hours drive to the sea and midway between the airports of Lisbon & Porto.
sounds ideal - thank you...Ed
Old Jan 15th 2016, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

I would if I could edit out my suggestion above of taking in Serra da Estrela and surrounding area, too out of way and not where you want to live, leave that one for when you love here! For sure though see coastal places I suggested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.