Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Extension to 90 day ruling

Extension to 90 day ruling

Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extension to 90 day ruling

Is it yet clear what the ruling is for extensions to the 90 day Schengen rule in Portugal for Non Portuguese residents?
Prior to 2021 as I understood it, after Brexit it would be possible to visit your local SEF while in Portugal, and request an extension to stay of up to a further 90 days.
With the necessity of having sufficient funds, acceptable reason, and Health Insurance.
With the UK now saying that anyone (ie British resident) with an in date and valid EHIC would be covered for Health as pre Brexit, is it clear if having that is sufficient to count as Health Insurance when requesting an extension to the 90 day rule??

Tore to call SEF buy never get a reply from anywhere..
Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extension to 90 day ruling

Originally Posted by wellinever
Is it yet clear what the ruling is for extensions to the 90 day Schengen rule in Portugal for Non Portuguese residents?
Prior to 2021 as I understood it, after Brexit it would be possible to visit your local SEF while in Portugal, and request an extension to stay of up to a further 90 days.
With the necessity of having sufficient funds, acceptable reason, and Health Insurance.
With the UK now saying that anyone (ie British resident) with an in date and valid EHIC would be covered for Health as pre Brexit, is it clear if having that is sufficient to count as Health Insurance when requesting an extension to the 90 day rule??

Tore to call SEF buy never get a reply from anywhere..
Established procedure through SEF . https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/prorroga...nencia/vcd-iv/

Try contact by email or there are several phone numbers on their website : https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/
Old Jan 7th 2021, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

1) NO phone numbers answered in my experience (it just cuts off after 5 min ringing on every number inc local SEF numbers), tried many many times over last 3 weeks or so.
2) Yes I have read the doc you refer to, but I cannot see any mention of Health at all.
AS the EHIC now, still, covers health for UK residents in the EU for normal up to 90 day travel (so no private medical insurance is needed), which is acceptable to Portuguese authorities, then my assumption would be that it is also acceptable for any extension up to 180 days in one year.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

2) Yes I have read the doc you refer to, but I cannot see any mention of Health at all.
"Evidence that the conditions that allowed the admission of the foreign citizen in national territory still exist"
Old Jan 7th 2021, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

So, as I said, the UK EHIC would be valid and must be accepted by the EU as proof that health insurance is in place?
If not the case, then any Brit (resident with valid EHIC) travelling anywhere in the EU would have to have private medical insurance? Thats not the case as I see it.
Yes or no Bomber? How do you read it?
Old Jan 7th 2021, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

so it means that British residents have the same right to health when in the EU as residents of Portugal but consider themselves to be British when it suits
Old Jan 7th 2021, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

So, as I said, the UK EHIC would be valid and must be accepted by the EU as proof that health insurance is in place?
If not the case, then any Brit (resident with valid EHIC) travelling anywhere in the EU would have to have private medical insurance? Thats not the case as I see it.
Yes or no Bomber? How do you read it?
I have no idea, I've not felt the need to read the fine details of the agreement regarding the continued acceptance of a UK issued EHIC as I have the PT issued version, perhaps it is something the UK authorities can clarify as they will be the ones picking up the bill. Ether way, and it's just my personal view, I have always travelled with health insurance as well as the EHIC as it offers additional things the EHIC doesn't, like repatriation.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 7:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

AS the EHIC now, still, covers health for UK residents in the EU for normal up to 90 day travel (so no private medical insurance is needed), which is acceptable to Portuguese authorities, then my assumption would be that it is also acceptable for any extension up to 180 days in one year.
That would depend in part on what the UK says you're covered for.

As it's a reciprocal arrangement regarding the use of the card, it also depends what the EU (or individual member states if this new arrangement is made up of separate bilateral agreements) says you're covered for. And, as previously it's only been valid for visits of up to 90 days, and in future 90 in 180 is the limit norm, it's entirely possible that it will remain that way. But that's just speculation on my part.

I know that one of the things required for some PT temporary or initial residence visa categories is a travel insurance policy with health cover to a specified amount and which includes the costs of repatriation should it be necessary. That, of course, is not covered by EHIC. Whether it'll be a requirement for a UK resident with a GHIC and a yen to stay beyond 3 months is an unknown to me as yet.
Old Jan 8th 2021, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

I am sure that you are right Eric, and something will be decided over time,
But I think that any person arriving in the UK has the right to remain in the country for 180 days at a stretch, (not just 90).
So presumably existing EU EHICs cover that period while an EU resident is in the UK ??