Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

Old Dec 26th 2020, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

Quote from BBC regarding reported status of UK issued EHIC after Brexit at end of year.
Presumably referring to any EHIC card, not just non UK residents.

`What will happen from 2021?

The deal on the future relationship between the EU and the UK was announced on 24 December. It says that all EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date.

After that, the UK will issue a new card. The UK government says the new card will be called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it.`

Old Dec 26th 2020, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

A few days ago there was a Press Release saying that HNS would negotiate deals so that UK residents with long term conditions requiring Diaaysis, Chemotherapy etc will be able to access Healthcare in the 27 EU member states.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, that topic was mentioned in the fuller quote that I did not post.
I am referring to the specific wording used, in as much as it does mention being a resident of an EU country before the end of the year, just that
`all EHIC cards issued before end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry`

I do understand, from a different source, that anyone not resident in an EU country, but who happens to be in an EU country at the end of the year will be covered by their existing EHIC until their return to the UK.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Quote from BBC regarding reported status of UK issued EHIC after Brexit at end of year.
Presumably referring to any EHIC card, not just non UK residents.

`What will happen from 2021?

The deal on the future relationship between the EU and the UK was announced on 24 December. It says that all EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date.

After that, the UK will issue a new card. The UK government says the new card will be called the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it.`
what if (like me) you have never had one?
Old Dec 26th 2020, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Pgmills is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a PT resident then you can get a PT EHIC equivalent as it is residence based.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Sportpix - as Pgmills says as a Pt resident you have the right to health care and therefore EHIC in Portugal - if you do not qualify for an S1 from elsewhere you get your EHIC from Portugal.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Sportpix - as Pgmills says as a Pt resident you have the right to health care and therefore EHIC in Portugal - if you do not qualify for an S1 from elsewhere you get your EHIC from Portugal.
thank you both for clarifying this. I am hoping to be heading back to Portugal in a couple of weeks and on arrival I need to to sort out this and other basic living issues now that I have received residency and bought an apartment in the lovely town of Lagos.
Old Dec 27th 2020, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

I received my health number, on the 'document of user identificiation'. I asked the receptionist if I get a health card (as per my old Italian one , credit card style). She said I just quote my Health number for any need, or show A4 document. So judging from this thread I can request an EHIC, for use in other EU countries if need be...?
Old Dec 28th 2020, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

If you are a resident of Portugal a UK issued EHIC should not be used in Portugal, as you should be covered for health services by Portugal.
It should only be used for travel in other EU countries. But of course as a resident of Portugal you should be registered with the Portuguese SNS and therefore entitled to a Portuguese EHIC for travel outside Portugal.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a resident of Portugal a UK issued EHIC should not be used in Portugal, as you should be covered for health services by Portugal.
It should only be used for travel in other EU countries. But of course as a resident of Portugal you should be registered with the Portuguese SNS and therefore entitled to a Portuguese EHIC for travel outside Portugal.
Thanks. Yes, I was previously in Italy for 17 years so I have no UK health number or whatever. I was wondering whether we get a specific health card, principally for use when travelling to other EU countries. Or will the future Biometric residency card, for instance, include such functionality.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Unless of course you qualify for a UK ) or other EU country's) S1, such as pensioners receiving UK, or other, pension - some others also qualify but rarely. So for instance Sportpix should qualify for a Portuguese one if he is not yet pensionable in UK or elsewhere in EU, as a Portuguese resident with access to the SNS health service. Start at the Citizens Shop probably within the local town hall or ask at the health centre for advice. And to note also that having got into the Portuguese system, WHEN one becomes eventually due for a UK (or other EU) state pension, you will be eligible for the S1 and will need to change the EHIC and register as S1 so that Portugal can claim its subs back from the UK for looking after their pensioner.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Unless of course you qualify for a UK ) or other EU country's) S1, such as pensioners receiving UK, or other, pension - some others also qualify but rarely. So for instance Sportpix should qualify for a Portuguese one if he is not yet pensionable in UK or elsewhere in EU, as a Portuguese resident with access to the SNS health service. Start at the Citizens Shop probably within the local town hall or ask at the health centre for advice. And to note also that having got into the Portuguese system, WHEN one becomes eventually due for a UK (or other EU) state pension, you will be eligible for the S1 and will need to change the EHIC and register as S1 so that Portugal can claim its subs back from the UK for looking after their pensioner.
I will start receiving my pension in March ... should I hurry back?
Old Dec 28th 2020, 1:06 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
I will start receiving my pension in March ... should I hurry back?
As you're registered as resident in Portugal prior to the end of the transition period, you are protected for life in terms of S1 cover from the UK, provided you remain resident here.

If you're not already enrolled in the health system here, how you enrol will depend on whether you're already in receipt of the UK state pension at that point. If so, you obtain a S1 form from the UK and take it to social security here in Portugal for them to do the PT administration and to notify the UK when done. If not, you enrol direct at your local health centre and subsequently obtain and pass on the S1 when you become eligible for the UK pension.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 1:18 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Thanks. Yes, I was previously in Italy for 17 years so I have no UK health number or whatever. I was wondering whether we get a specific health card, principally for use when travelling to other EU countries. Or will the future Biometric residency card, for instance, include such functionality.
Your utente card or document is only of any use in Portugal - like any other resident, for cover in other EU member states, you need to apply separately for a EHIC (or CESD, as it's known here). If you're not covered by any other country's social security system but you are enrolled in the PT public health system, Portugal will (or should ) issue that on request. If you are covered by another country's social security system and have a registered S1, you apply to the S1 issuer for your EHIC.
Old Dec 28th 2020, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Your utente card or document is only of any use in Portugal - like any other resident, for cover in other EU member states, you need to apply separately for a EHIC (or CESD, as it's known here). If you're not covered by any other country's social security system but you are enrolled in the PT public health system, Portugal will (or should ) issue that on request. If you are covered by another country's social security system and have a registered S1, you apply to the S1 issuer for your EHIC.
Nicely put RedEric-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.