Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

English speaking doctor in Tomar/Entroncamento area?

English speaking doctor in Tomar/Entroncamento area?

Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:50 am
Just Joined

jmcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English speaking doctor in Tomar/Entroncamento area?

Hello everyone! This is my very first post. I've had ongoing, undiagnosed back and chest pain for several months and I'm urgently seeking an english speaking doctor in Tomar/Entroncamento area.

I've visited both the Urgencia in Tomar hospital and the local centro de saude already, but with no luck - I do speak a bit of Portuguese (I'm learning) but I don't think I did a very good job at explaining my symptoms because I was prescribed vitamins and painkillers and sent away pretty sharpish. They seemed quite rushed and understandably impatient with my limited portuguese.

Are there any private clinics in the area where I might have more luck?

Before we moved up here I used to go to a small private clinic in the algarve which charged a €60 joining fee, then €5 every time you saw the doctor. Something like that would be great, if it exists up here!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Happy new year to all
Old Jan 16th 2016, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English speaking doctor in Tomar/Entroncamento area?

For what it's worth, my local centro de saude told me (about 18 months ago) that every centre is now required by law to have at least one English speaker on duty at all times.

another option if you have an I pad is to download a translator program and use that to communicate with the non English speakers.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

mfesharne, thanks for your reply. Maybe I can try a different centro de saude in that case, or perhaps go in on a different day. When I went in the first time the receptionist did actually say that the doctor spoke english - but then when I saw him I explained (in Portuguese) that my Portuguese wasn't very good, and asked if we could speak english, he responded with a friendly "Nao, falamos Portugues." So I muddled along but I rather feel something got lost in the translation :-/
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't happen often but occasionally one has to remind someone they are required by law to provide an English speaker if needed........ I've had to do so twice & on both occasions it was to a cop.

I'd be inclined to try a different centro de saude & begin the conversation with 'desculpe, nao fala Portuguese.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mfesharne
It doesn't happen often but occasionally one has to remind someone they are required by law to provide an English speaker if needed........ I've had to do so twice & on both occasions it was to a cop. I'd be inclined to try a different centro de saude & begin the conversation with 'desculpe, nao fala Portuguese.
"não falo Portuguese"(I don't speak Portuguese) Otherwise your telling the doctor "don't speak Portuguese" and he may take the humpty!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jessel is on a distinguished road

When the young (40ish) Urologist I saw at Coimbra hospital continued to talk to me in Portuguese despite my telling him twice "'desculpe, nao falo Portuguese", I stood up and asked him in English to show me where the Livro de Reclamações was located and immediately he apologised in English and said he was sorry that I was offended, but that he was very "Nationalistic". I have made two visits since and he is now my best friend, walking me to the elevator after each consultation. You just have to stand your ground, your taxes are helping to pay their wages, although I wouldn't tell them that!

Last edited by Jessel; Jan 20th 2016 at 12:07 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I usually try to explain that I'm trying to learn Portuguese but it's a tough language to learn because it's such a rich language....... and bar the two occasions I've mentioned previously, people are then pretty happy to speak English to me.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Several times I have been asked by annoying and often aggressive brits whether I spoke English I have chosen to answer 'Desculpe eu não falo Îngles'.

All Doctors speak English, their text books and study materials are mostly in English, the majority of Pharmaceutical update info they have to read is in English + journals and magazines they have to read to stay informed are in English.

As someone who is married to a non English Medical Dra. that speaks and writes five languages fluently I would say, if you come across an occasional 'humble' one who thinks his/her English is not perfect enough to be able to communicate all the nuance of a medical situation then you should give them all the support and encouragement they need.

I wouldn't mind betting that there are more Doctors in England that don't speak very good English than there are in Portugal.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:26 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Faro hospital everyone spoke English to us on TWO separate emergencies and follow up visits!! And of course Dr. Julio at the Tavira Clinic is an EXCELLENT doctor
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Updating the thread for any future readers to say that I found a really lovely English speaking doctor at the CDT clinic in central Tomar. He was very patient, kind and professional. (But charges €50 per appointment! :-0)

http://medicosdeportugal.sapo.pt/dir...mento_de_tomar