Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The embarrassment factor

The embarrassment factor

Old May 21st 2017, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The embarrassment factor

Originally Posted by macliam
.... and then punching you.

I don't know why you included the Corbyn clip from the LDs - the question was clearly akin to "Have you stopped beating your wife?" and designed to provide headlines whatever his answer. It was a stupid question, which he showed great patience in answering time and time again. It also has nothing to do with this topic.
Who included the Corbin clip?
Old May 21st 2017, 11:18 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Nothing installs greater pride in ones country than meeting a drunk person wearing a football shirt and them wanting to be your mate
There has been an thread going on the TripAdvisor Algarve forum about the negative effects drunken Brits, hen and stag parties are having on what was once an area free of such groups.
Not only are they discouraging families and other Brits they confirm the impression many other nationalities have of us.
You cannot really blame the bar owners who have struggled during years of recession but something has to change.
The behaviour of these groups never will.
Old May 21st 2017, 11:27 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Who included the Corbin clip?
It was in the large space that is now under your previous comment - if not added by you, then I apologise but my comment on the clip stands.
Old May 21st 2017, 11:34 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
There has been an thread going on the TripAdvisor Algarve forum about the negative effects drunken Brits, hen and stag parties are having on what was once an area free of such groups.
Not only are they discouraging families and other Brits they confirm the impression many other nationalities have of us.
You cannot really blame the bar owners who have struggled during years of recession but something has to change.
The behaviour of these groups never will.
I wonder if the inability to enjoy a drink without getting drunk is a nordic trait?

Unfortunately the bar staff don't force people to drink to excess, but it happens all too often. How many times have you seen a Portuguese person too drunk to stand up or trying to take on the world?

Cheap booze is often the excuse for bad behaviour - yet it happens in every city in the UK and ireland every weekend........
Old May 21st 2017, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

carvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond reputecarvoeiro has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the inability to enjoy a drink without getting drunk is a nordic trait?

Unfortunately the bar staff don't force people to drink to excess, but it happens all too often. How many times have you seen a Portuguese person too drunk to stand up or trying to take on the world?

Cheap booze is often the excuse for bad behaviour - yet it happens in every city in the UK and ireland every weekend........
A doctor tried to explain it in part to me once - relating to Brits
Because we come from a cool climate - the combitation of alcohol and heat is a bad combition - the adjustment to the heat affects our nervous system - working hard to make our body adjust - dehydration and other effects etc - especially with a littlel added sunburn which in turn makes the alcohol effect us more
Personally i think its just a load of ignorant spoiled brats with no manners and more money than sense - but i was young once too
Old May 21st 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carvoeiro
A doctor tried to explain it in part to me once - relating to Brits
Because we come from a cool climate - the combitation of alcohol and heat is a bad combition - the adjustment to the heat affects our nervous system - working hard to make our body adjust - dehydration and other effects etc - especially with a littlel added sunburn which in turn makes the alcohol effect us more
Personally i think its just a load of ignorant spoiled brats with no manners and more money than sense - but i was young once too
I'm not sure education or lack of it is a major factor....... look for example at Charlie Gilmour who despite having a good education thought it acceptable to swing from the Cenotaph but I think you could also add a lack of good upbringing & respect for others to that list as well.

I also tend to think the PC modern parenting attitude has a lot to be responsible for...... I never raised my hand to my kids because a look was enough but sometimes the good old five point plan or even the threat of it can work wonders with children who lack respect.
Old May 21st 2017, 1:57 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by mfesharne
...... I never raised my hand to my kids because a look was enough but sometimes the good old five point plan or even the threat of it can work wonders with children who lack respect.
Be fair, it's hard to discipline your kids when you've got a fag in one hand and the TV remote in the other - and Family Guy's on after the footie........

At my school we were strapped for midemeanours (sometimes unfairly) so you learned to make sure that you were in the right (not just not doing wrong). I would never have come home to tell my folks that I'd got a clipped ear from the Garda - because I'd get another one, no question. Same result. But now....... I'm not suggesting that we need to return to corporal punishment - but the lack of discipline stems from the fact that there is no penalty for misbehaving.

These things start early - next time you're in a restaurant, watch the Portuguese kids eating. Then watch the average British family at table..... There are always exceptions, but in general I've seen a marked difference in behaviour. But then again, of course, Johnny has ADHD, Simon is slightly autistic, Mary is dyslexic, Janet has coeliac disease, whereas poor little Pedro just has to sit and eat what he's given....
Old May 21st 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Be fair, it's hard to discipline your kids when you've got a fag in one hand and the TV remote in the other - and Family Guy's on after the footie........

At my school we were strapped for midemeanours (sometimes unfairly) so you learned to make sure that you were in the right (not just not doing wrong). I would never have come home to tell my folks that I'd got a clipped ear from the Garda - because I'd get another one, no question. Same result. But now....... I'm not suggesting that we need to return to corporal punishment - but the lack of discipline stems from the fact that there is no penalty for misbehaving.

These things start early - next time you're in a restaurant, watch the Portuguese kids eating. Then watch the average British family at table..... There are always exceptions, but in general I've seen a marked difference in behaviour. But then again, of course, Johnny has ADHD, Simon is slightly autistic, Mary is dyslexic, Janet has coeliac disease, whereas poor little Pedro just has to sit and eat what he's given....
I agree completely........ it's very rare to see a badly behaved Portuguese child here whereas it's relatively rare to see a well behaved Brit child here.

But that said, I'm old enough to remember seeing two adolescent children get a poes klaap from an adult (who turned out to be their teacher) walking behind them simply because they'd failed to raise their hats to me............. he made them chase after me, apologise & then do as they should have done in the first place.
Old May 21st 2017, 2:50 pm
Resident Cynic

I agree completely........ it's very rare to see a badly behaved Portuguese child here whereas it's relatively rare to see a well behaved Brit child here.

But that said, I'm old enough to remember seeing two adolescent children get a poes klaap from an adult (who turned out to be their teacher) walking behind them simply because they'd failed to raise their hats to me............. he made them chase after me, apologise & then do as they should have done in the first place.
I bet you wouldn't translate that expression from Afrikaans
Old May 21st 2017, 3:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Life must be tough for some 21st century .
We're they white or black children. .?
Old May 21st 2017, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

You might be right........ I'll ignore the direct translation & instead give the polite one which is a slap around the head, usually the back of the head as in a clip around the ear for being a bit of an idiot.

Funny how some foreign phrases sometimes stay in the mind so long because they're somehow so much more expressive than the English version & I still find I occasionally use them without thinking.

Poes klaap & blixen have more or less the same meaning as a clip around the ear but they also mean soooooooo much more.
Old May 21st 2017, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
They were white & from a very expensive & well known private school that incidentally took children of all colours.

Their sin was failing to raise their straw boaters to me as we passed each other.

Incidentally, it was 20th Century not 21st.
Old May 21st 2017, 3:30 pm
EMR
Banned

They were white & from a very expensive & well known private school that incidentally took children of all colours.

Their sin was failing to raise their straw boaters to me as we passed each other.

Incidentally, it was 20th Century not 21st.
Exactly my point, it was a different time, different standards.

No relevance to today's world.
Old May 21st 2017, 3:37 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by EMR
Let's not conflate language with politics ...... Whilst I would never condone apartheid or any state segregation, I recognise that many white South Africans were also against apartheid (e.g. Helen Suzman, Joe Slovo, sailor Malan) and did far more than just not buy outspan oranges.

As for "different times, different standards" - be careful, that is often the cry of those who don't care to learn from history.

Last edited by macliam; May 21st 2017 at 3:40 pm.
Old May 21st 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EMR
Exactly my point, it was a different time, different standards.

No relevance to today's world.

I think there's every relevance........... the modern western world generally has much lower standards with regard to good manners & respect for others & it's largely that very thing that has caused so many of the younger generation to behave the way they do in many parts of western society

If you look at those societies that have maintained the older traditions like respect & discipline such as the rural Portuguese or even the more rural areas of Africa such as the north of Tanzania (Masailand), Rwanda & Uganda etc you'll quickly come to realise how big the difference is.

It's not incidentally about colour it's about the way the young are taught with a degree of discipline how to treat others.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 21st 2017 at 3:46 pm. Reason: corrected quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.