Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

Old Jan 1st 2021, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC after 31/Dec 2020

RedEric said - "Another few, UK included (also Spain and Ireland, the largest rechargers to the UK), charge on the basis of an average cost. The majority, Portugal amongst them, recharge the actual costs, less charges paid by the patient." - sorry, i stand corrected, as I was thinking it would be same as I was told when in Spain, Gosh that must be complicated, but if that is the way Portugal does it, so be it. Thanks for the clarification.

Meanwhile, back on the subject of the EHIC versus the GHIC - the NHS Business organisation which issues them has posted updates on the situation, which is mostly for UK residents, but I think I have sussed out that UK beneficiaries of S1 who are resident in EU countries are to have a NEW EHIC for travel about in Europe, but are not to have the Global GHIC (which basically serves the same purpose - EEA/EU countries only. We did apply for these new EHICs at the beginning of December but have not received them yet, but with the state of the postal service, I am not surprised.
https://nhsbsa-live.powerappsportals...KA-25150/en-us
https://nhsbsa-live.powerappsportals.../?id=CAT-01007
https://nhsbsa-live.powerappsportals...KA-01319/en-us

Happy New Year to all
Old Jan 1st 2021, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

so in principle if I had remained NON Portuguese resident, but a UK one, I would
a)Have been covered by my existing EHIC until it expires in 2025 and
b) When they decide to bring in a replacement to do exactly the same thing but called something else, still be covered in Portugal as a UK resident?
Assuming that the validity of the EHIC also accepted by SEF or any other equivalent authority in any other EU country, as proof of health insurance
As long as it covers single trips of 6 months that would suit me just fine, and not have to exchange DL to Portuguese, nor be part of Portuguese tax system.
Just sell my house to be included in rollover, anywhere in the EU and bobs your uncle, wherever sells best and easiest.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 1:19 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Meanwhile, back on the subject of the EHIC versus the GHIC - the NHS Business organisation which issues them has posted updates on the situation, which is mostly for UK residents, but I think I have sussed out that UK beneficiaries of S1 who are resident in EU countries are to have a NEW EHIC for travel about in Europe, but are not to have the Global GHIC (which basically serves the same purpose - EEA/EU countries only. We did apply for these new EHICs at the beginning of December but have not received them yet, but with the state of the postal service, I am not surprised.
https://nhsbsa-live.powerappsportals...KA-25150/en-us
https://nhsbsa-live.powerappsportals.../?id=CAT-01007
https://nhsbsa-live.powerappsportals...KA-01319/en-us

Happy New Year to all
That looks about the strength of it, with the minor difference between the 2 being that the new EHIC for S1 holders covers Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland, whereas the existing EHIC for UK residents does not, as of 1st Jan, and neither will the GHIC.

So "Global" in this context means the EU only, having undergone a bit of shrinkage from EU / EEA for it's predecessor.

And yeah, Happy New Year all round.

Last edited by Red Eric; Jan 1st 2021 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2021, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

yes here it now is on gov website,,,,,so existing uk EHIC is valid just as before until it expires, (as long as a UK resident)

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...nsurance-card/
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Update - our new EHIC cards from UK as S1 pensioners, resident EU, have arrived yesterday, a couple of hours after I phoned to enquire since 31/12/20 deadline for receiving them had passed - young lady on the phone declared they had a backlog, and they would arrive in the next few weeks! Obviously their checking system could not tell us that they were actually already sent out? They have a pretty new chip-type logo with the Union Jack on it, and on the back there is a notice that they are not for use as an Identity card, and the bit about "not proof of residency" has vanished - presumably that is now in the chip/logo? Valid up to 2025 ...