Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving style in Portugal

Driving style in Portugal

Old Nov 1st 2021, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving style in Portugal

It’s just a guide, the rules can surely be applied, it’s not rocket science. But I accept that local knowledge and familiarity is a problem with regards to driving, and it’s the same everywhere, not just Portugal.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geronimal
If there is more than one approach lane, you should only take the right hand lane if exiting at the first exit, everyone else must use the left lane and then indicate and move into the outside as you pass the exit before yours. This animation illustrates the rules in Portugal:
Which lane to take on approach if going 2nd exit "straight on" seems to be the main difference and I must admit I'd been driving here a while before I realised that. Though most of that time was in Lisbon, which has the standard big city "anything goes" approach to getting around

I guess it is OK to use right lane to go 2nd exit if the exit is a two lane road though? Anyone know that definitively?
Old Nov 1st 2021, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Geronimal , is the second of your illustrations correct for Portugal? My understanding is that to go straight ahead (2nd exit) you should not normally pass the 1st exit in the outside lane.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

As illustrated earlier, theoretically the RH Lane should only used when taking the first exit off the roundabout (ie first exit right).
This is according to the Portuguese Highway Code book anyway - but - Roundabouts are a relatively new concept in Portugal and when they first arrived here, the rules on their use were different.
They have been changed over time, and there lies the confusion.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

From https://dre.pt/dre/legislacao-consol...830-116041965:

1 - At roundabouts, the driver must adopt the following behaviour:
a) Enter the roundabout after giving way to vehicles circulating in it, whichever route they take;
b) If you want to leave the roundabout on the first exit lane, you must take the right lane;
c) If you want to leave the roundabout by any of the other exit lanes, you should only take the rightmost lane after passing the exit lane immediately before the one you want to exit, progressively approaching it and changing lane after appropriate precautions taken;
d) Without prejudice to the provisions of the preceding paragraphs, drivers must use the most convenient lane for their destination.

2 - Drivers of animal or animal traction vehicles, bicycles and heavy vehicles may occupy the rightmost lane, without prejudice to the duty to provide exit for drivers who circulate in accordance with paragraph c) of n. . 1.

3 - Anyone who violates the provisions of subparagraphs b), c) and d) of paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 shall be sanctioned with a fine of (euro) 60 to (euro) 300.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

When I learned to drive in the UK in 1962, one of the places you should not overtake is on a roundabout. If you apply this rule in Portugal and drive defensively, I generally find that roundabouts are only a problem when you meet a stroppy driver and it's best to avoid arguing with them anyway. Give way to anyone slightly in front of you and prepare to floor the accelerator before the next car starts to push in front of you. In Olhāo there's at least one roundabout that used to have a white arrow telling you that the lane was for turning off at the 9 o'clock exit (to the port). Without the arrow, the lane would now appear to be for exiting at 12 o"clock as well but no one has told the locals who only use it for heading towards the port. Bringing back the white arrow would make so much sense at this roundabout which looks nothing like the drawing above.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall

d) Without prejudice to the provisions of the preceding paragraphs, drivers must use the most convenient lane for their destination.
A splendidly Portuguese addition
Old Nov 1st 2021, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan PT
A splendidly Portuguese addition
Sounds to me like a cop out clause to say "do whatever you want"

Another thing I noticed today whilst out driving is how many zebra crossings there are on the roads, like literally there is one at each road intersection. In town centres, it looks like there is a crossing every ten yards of road.

For good measure, they also have zebra crossings mid section of the road, in front of important landmarks, etc.

I just hope jaywalking is illegal in Portugal bcos it is hard not to cross the road at zebra crossings!!!
Old Nov 1st 2021, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128

Another thing I noticed today whilst out driving is how many zebra crossings there are on the roads, like literally there is one at each road intersection. In town centres, it looks like there is a crossing every ten yards of road.

For good measure, they also have zebra crossings mid section of the road, in front of important landmarks, etc.

I just hope jaywalking is illegal in Portugal bcos it is hard not to cross the road at zebra crossings!!!
And they have put them in dangerous places like the exits to roundabouts.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 6:06 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
From https://dre.pt/dre/legislacao-consol...830-116041965:

1 - At roundabouts, the driver must adopt the following behaviour:
a) Enter the roundabout after giving way to vehicles circulating in it, whichever route they take;
b) If you want to leave the roundabout on the first exit lane, you must take the right lane;
c) If you want to leave the roundabout by any of the other exit lanes, you should only take the rightmost lane after passing the exit lane immediately before the one you want to exit, progressively approaching it and changing lane after appropriate precautions taken;
.... and 1d) exists as a foil to complaints that it's impossible to get into the outside lane to take the second (or subsequent) exit, due to vehicles which have remained there "illegally".

Old Nov 1st 2021, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128

And I hope you know that pedestrians have absolute right of way on zebra crossings (except at traffic lights!) and you will frequently see folk just walking straight across, no looking, no checking with the oncoming traffic, just setting off across ... sometimes you as the driver have to guess whether someone on the pavement and approaching the crossing will or will not cross. Nothing like in France where they only have right of way if they are already on the crossing (one foot will do), nope - anyone approaching the crossing with intent, you have to let them cross in PT.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
And I hope you know that pedestrians have absolute right of way on zebra crossings (except at traffic lights!) and you will frequently see folk just walking straight across, no looking, no checking with the oncoming traffic, just setting off across ... sometimes you as the driver have to guess whether someone on the pavement and approaching the crossing will or will not cross. Nothing like in France where they only have right of way if they are already on the crossing (one foot will do), nope - anyone approaching the crossing with intent, you have to let them cross in PT.
Subject to their compliance with the Código da Estrada.
https://automoveis-online.com/polici...na-passadeira/
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Went over a crossing today as someone was approaching it with intent, thought "oops, that was a misjudgement" then "damn, there's a GNR car just behind me"

The GNR put their foot down, swerved past the pedestrian, overtook me and vanished into the distance
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Subject to their compliance with the Código da Estrada.
https://automoveis-online.com/polici...na-passadeira/
I wonder if they teach that at school, cos it is the teenagers and student-types that are the worst with ear phones in and nose in phone! We will continue to drive slowly in town (GNR notwithstanding!! Alan PT), and will take note of all and sundry lurking by crossings - not worth the hassle of risking a problem.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
I wonder if they teach that at school, cos it is the teenagers and student-types that are the worst with ear phones in and nose in phone! We will continue to drive slowly in town (GNR notwithstanding!! Alan PT), and will take note of all and sundry lurking by crossings - not worth the hassle of risking a problem.
Many have died asserting their rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.