Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving style in Portugal

Driving style in Portugal

Old Oct 28th 2021, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving style in Portugal

I've noticed from driving in Portugal that some drivers have a style that I haven't seen before.

Case in point - when approaching a roundabout and the car wants to go straight ahead (2nd exit), the driver would indicate left (as if they want to take the 3rd exit) and indicate right just before exiting. Is this style something they teach during driving school?

Of course most drivers don't indicate but this style really confuses me.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving style in Portugal

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
I've noticed from driving in Portugal that some drivers have a style that I haven't seen before.

Case in point - when approaching a roundabout and the car wants to go straight ahead (2nd exit), the driver would indicate left (as if they want to take the 3rd exit) and indicate right just before exiting. Is this style something they teach during driving school?

I always thought the car manufacturers could save a fortune by not bothering to fit indicators and mirrors they are so little used ...
Old Oct 28th 2021, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

It is the officially GNR recognised way of "correctly" driving round a roundabout - exceptions being heavy lorries and exceptional loads (and very slow ones like tractors and such!!) who can go all the way round on the right hand lane, just to confuse matters. Not sure that most of the driving population actually knows this rule as there is often chaos when the "correct" method is used.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
It is the officially GNR recognised way of "correctly" driving round a roundabout - exceptions being heavy lorries and exceptional loads (and very slow ones like tractors and such!!) who can go all the way round on the right hand lane, just to confuse matters. Not sure that most of the driving population actually knows this rule as there is often chaos when the "correct" method is used.
The reason it's the GNR recognised way is because that is how the Código da Estrada describes the rules for negotiating roundabouts. A fine of £60 to £300 can be forthcoming for failing to do so.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I do it the "right" way when the way is clear, and any old way when it suits.

When in Rome, you know...
Old Oct 29th 2021, 7:12 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Same issue in France!
Best to stay in the right lane and indicate "right" after you've passed the first/second exits, but many French drivers don't indicate at all and, worse, cut across you to exit. Also, a tad annoying if you're waiting to enter the roundabout, and the approaching driver doesn't indicate that he's turning into your road and you have to wait for the following cars to pass....
Old Oct 30th 2021, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

zoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nicezoff is just really nice

I've that some drivers have a style that I haven't seen before.

"indicate left (as if they want to take the 3rd exit)"
I didn't know about this part, I stay on the inside lane and indicate right and move right just before exiting, if want to go straight ahead.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

If there is more than one approach lane, you should only take the right hand lane if exiting at the first exit, everyone else must use the left lane and then indicate and move into the outside as you pass the exit before yours. This animation illustrates the rules in Portugal:

Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

If the above animation does not work here is an image to illustrate:

Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Geronimal. I think what you've provided (especially the 2nd image) is pretty much standard stuff on how to position yourself when a roundabout is approaching.

The image provided however does not show how you should indicate. The light blue line (i.e. taking the second exit) is where I require some understanding on how Portuguese drivers have been taught to indicate.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

And that image is for a simple roundabout. Imagine the driver must be flicking their indicators up and down non-stop when they navigate through the Plough (aka Magic) roundabout in Hemel Hempstead!
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Geronimal. I think what you've provided (especially the 2nd image) is pretty much standard stuff on how to position yourself when a roundabout is approaching.

The image provided however does not show how you should indicate. The light blue line (i.e. taking the second exit) is where I require some understanding on how Portuguese drivers have been taught to indicate.
the animation shows this, perhaps it is not ‘animated’ in the post. Basically if taking the second exit (straight on) indicate left then indicate right after the exit before yours.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

And that image is for a simple roundabout. Imagine the driver must be flicking their indicators up and down non-stop when they navigate through the Plough (aka Magic) roundabout in Hemel Hempstead!
Hemel Hempstead is still in the UK thankfully. I never really bothered with indicators there anyway, just followed the give way rules, always sailed through it.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect illustration. Now all we need is for the PT drivers who stay on the outside lane when taking 3rd/4th etc exit. It's a jungle out there.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

None of the roundabouts where I live in Portugal look anything like the one illustrated. No wonder most drivers here are confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.