Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving PT car with UK licence in UK

Driving PT car with UK licence in UK

Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving PT car with UK licence in UK

Going to pick up a PT car in a month or so in the UK, I've still got a UK licence which is registered with the IMTT(no idea where paper is though), would I face any problems with UK police and is there licence checks while boarding ferry that could give me problems? Anything else I should be aware of while bringing vehicle? Will car documents give me problems if not in my name? (I will probably only have the "compra e venda" document signed)

Oh and one other thing about ferry, do cabins have 2 single beds?
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving PT car with UK licence in UK

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Going to pick up a PT car in a month or so in the UK, I've still got a UK licence which is registered with the IMTT(no idea where paper is though), would I face any problems with UK police and is there licence checks while boarding ferry that could give me problems? Anything else I should be aware of while bringing vehicle? Will car documents give me problems if not in my name? (I will probably only have the "compra e venda" document signed)

Oh and one other thing about ferry, do cabins have 2 single beds?
Hi

I have just got myself a van from the UK with PT plates. I had no problem with the ferry or when driving through France. Make sure you get all the documents and the transfer document signed. Can't confirm anything about the UK police as i had nothing to do with then. Like you i have a PT registered licence and as i wasn't stopped then i can't say what would happen. I did have the original insurance document and i don't know the position over insurance.

Santander ferry each time i used it has single bunks.

Good luck

Peter

Last edited by peterfc; Oct 31st 2016 at 8:12 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi

I have just got myself a van from the UK with PT plates. I had no problem with the ferry or when driving through France. Make sure you get all the documents and the transfer document signed. Can't confirm anything about the UK police as i had nothing to do with then. Like you i have a PT registered licence and as i wasn't stopped then i can't say what would happen. I did have the original insurance document and i don't know the position over insurance.

Santander ferry each time i used it has single bunks.

Good luck

Peter
Come on Peter, try harder "I've got a UK license unlike you" , seriously Peter you're a great guy always willing to help but you never read the posts properly! haha Peter did you get ferry through Santander this time but have previously driven through all the way through France? If so, which would you suggest is best?
Old Nov 12th 2016, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Knoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond reputeKnoxy_UK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

As long as you have a license (paper part no longer needed, but remember plastic card only last 10 years) and insurance you're ok to drive here. Although it's good to remember the speed limits are in mph, oh and that we have lots of speed cameras.

I did the maths in August, whilst it's around £100 cheaper to drive and go via France... the long drive and thus increased risk of an accident, also French strikes..... I went via Santander port.

Paul
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Knoxy_UK
Hi

As long as you have a license (paper part no longer needed, but remember plastic card only last 10 years) and insurance you're ok to drive here. Although it's good to remember the speed limits are in mph, oh and that we have lots of speed cameras.

I did the maths in August, whilst it's around £100 cheaper to drive and go via France... the long drive and thus increased risk of an accident, also French strikes..... I went via Santander port.

Paul
Thanks, I've booked up for the boat, I was pretty sure the costs were also going to be more or less the same considering it's a fairly large 4x4 I won't be getting loads of MPG and I certainly would not be be covering ground quickly either with the aerodynamics of a brick.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

JohnBrooks is an unknown quantity at this point

May I ask how it went?

It is well discussed that a UK resident with a UK driving licence is not allowed to drive a PT (or other foreign) car in the UK. I am in a similar position to you and would be very grateful if you picked up any info/experiences.

Hope all went smoothly!
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JohnBrooks
May I ask how it went?

It is well discussed that a UK resident with a UK driving licence is not allowed to drive a PT (or other foreign) car in the UK. I am in a similar position to you and would be very grateful if you picked up any info/experiences.

Hope all went smoothly!
After a lot digging about on net I was confident I was legal, mainly for the fact the vehicle was only being transported back out of uk and not used long term there and what really gave me no worries was knowing I had proof that I was a Portuguese resident and not a uk resident. In the end up a friend done most of driving and he is a uk resident but after reading the special circumstances(e.g exporting the vehicle out)we were happy he was legal too). I'll try and dig out links as to where I got my information from.

P.s there were no questions while boarding ferry
Old Dec 9th 2016, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

JohnBrooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gedscottish

Thank you for the reply. Pleased it all went well. Its difficult to know how it would have gone if an officious police man had pulled you over. Your knowledge of the law may be greater than such person but that would not stop an extended delay.

May I ask you a question please... We are UK residents and trying to buy land here in PT. My car just expired in Avo and will be legally disposed of by Green Flag. But we need another car. Is it possible to buy a PT car after I get a NIF number, or are there more hurdles? We need to drive back to the UK to collect our stuff once property purchased – can I drive in the UK with a PT car as a UK resident under a UK licence?

I have had lots of conflicting info, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! John
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JohnBrooks
Hi Gedscottish

Thank you for the reply. Pleased it all went well. Its difficult to know how it would have gone if an officious police man had pulled you over. Your knowledge of the law may be greater than such person but that would not stop an extended delay.

May I ask you a question please... We are UK residents and trying to buy land here in PT. My car just expired in Avo and will be legally disposed of by Green Flag. But we need another car. Is it possible to buy a PT car after I get a NIF number, or are there more hurdles? We need to drive back to the UK to collect our stuff once property purchased – can I drive in the UK with a PT car as a UK resident under a UK licence?

I have had lots of conflicting info, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! John
I'll try to get you some concrete information tonight, it took me a while the last time for myself but I'll try to get you it.