British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   doggy travel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/doggy-travel-467852/)

maverick1 Jul 21st 2007 11:08 am

doggy travel

anyone out there who has used a pet transport company. we have our little pet jack russel who needs to come over to live with us full time in lagos in october also what sort of prices do you reckon we should agree to

maverick1 Jul 23rd 2007 5:19 pm

Re: doggy travel

just got a price from thompson fly its £350 for the dog plus £50 for a travel
cage from uk to faro.

just got a price from thompson fly for wife and 3 suitcases £71

sounds very expensive i may have to leave the wife in uk

derbyflan Jul 23rd 2007 10:48 pm

:rofl:

CHOPPER Jul 25th 2007 9:53 am

Last November my wifes relatives flew out from Edinburgh with Globespan for 39 pounds each, their 2 persian cats cost them 908 pounds

Sibs Jul 25th 2007 10:15 am

Same for us, 2 people £100, 1 cat £360!

Sarah

jogl Jul 25th 2007 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sibs (Post 5103339)
Same for us, 2 people £100, 1 cat £360!

Sarah

You're all barking mad!

derbyflan Jul 26th 2007 12:41 pm

What about driving down? I haven't decided how we'll transport our 2 Boxers yet.

anna58 Jul 26th 2007 10:13 pm

We took our dog on the boat to Santander, we could be with her, she was in the car and there was a dedicated dog walking deck, She couldn't understand it would be OK to pee and held on for 24 hours, but otherwise was fine and not stressed, my friend goes every 6 months with her dog.

Lelandy Jul 27th 2007 10:44 pm

Six months seems a long time to wait for a pee with your dog!?!

Lelandy Jul 27th 2007 10:46 pm

could...not...resist...

maverick1 Jul 28th 2007 8:22 am

just had a phone call that the price for my little doggy to go down with a van full of other animals for £ 250 in oct- that sounds more like my sort of price range - however now i am worried about his welfare in a strange enviroment
for three days

scrubbedexpat008 Jul 28th 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5108114)
What about driving down? I haven't decided how we'll transport our 2 Boxers yet.

We drove down last November from Middlesex to Eastern Algarve via Dover-Calais with two elderly dogs in the back of our old Range Rover. Stopped every 2 or 3 hours for coffee / water / pee breaks and overnighted in cheap dog-friendly hotels. Absolutely no problems for 2-legged or 4-legged passengers. :thumbup:

Regards

Graeme

derbyflan Jul 28th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by maverick1 (Post 5115977)
just had a phone call that the price for my little doggy to go down with a van full of other animals for £ 250 in oct- that sounds more like my sort of price range - however now i am worried about his welfare in a strange enviroment
for three days

I don't like the sound of that:ohmy:. I'm no animal therapist but that would stress my 2 out big time. For the sake of £100 fly your dog please! I'd be interested to know who is running this operation. Sounds like the RSPCA should pay a visit.

rugbymatt Jul 28th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5116733)
I don't like the sound of that:ohmy:. I'm no animal therapist but that would stress my 2 out big time. For the sake of £100 fly your dog please! I'd be interested to know who is running this operation. Sounds like the RSPCA should pay a visit.

I second that, in fact, if they are transporting animals they will be registered somewhere.

Cornish maid Jul 28th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5116733)

Originally Posted by maverick1 (Post 5115977)
for three days

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 5116770)
I second that, in fact, if they are transporting animals they will be registered somewhere.

Have you thought what this might do to your dog? Transporting pets can cause all sorts of anxieties for the animals. What arrnagements do they have for each ani,al? Is the cage they are to be put in large enough for the dog to actually move?? Toiletting arrangements? Food/drink?

At least if you drove/ ferried your pet over, you would be in control of the animal and lessen it's nervousness. Flying animals is expensive, that's why we intend to take the ferry and drive the rest of the way. At least our dog will be with the people she knows and loves, not shut up in a cage in the back of a van.