British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   doggy travel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/doggy-travel-467852/)

maverick1 Jul 21st 2007 11:08 am

doggy travel

anyone out there who has used a pet transport company. we have our little pet jack russel who needs to come over to live with us full time in lagos in october also what sort of prices do you reckon we should agree to

maverick1 Jul 23rd 2007 5:19 pm

Re: doggy travel

just got a price from thompson fly its £350 for the dog plus £50 for a travel
cage from uk to faro.

just got a price from thompson fly for wife and 3 suitcases £71

sounds very expensive i may have to leave the wife in uk

derbyflan Jul 23rd 2007 10:48 pm

:rofl:

CHOPPER Jul 25th 2007 9:53 am

Last November my wifes relatives flew out from Edinburgh with Globespan for 39 pounds each, their 2 persian cats cost them 908 pounds

Sibs Jul 25th 2007 10:15 am

Same for us, 2 people £100, 1 cat £360!

Sarah

jogl Jul 25th 2007 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sibs (Post 5103339)
Same for us, 2 people £100, 1 cat £360!

Sarah

You're all barking mad!

derbyflan Jul 26th 2007 12:41 pm

What about driving down? I haven't decided how we'll transport our 2 Boxers yet.

anna58 Jul 26th 2007 10:13 pm

We took our dog on the boat to Santander, we could be with her, she was in the car and there was a dedicated dog walking deck, She couldn't understand it would be OK to pee and held on for 24 hours, but otherwise was fine and not stressed, my friend goes every 6 months with her dog.

Lelandy Jul 27th 2007 10:44 pm

Six months seems a long time to wait for a pee with your dog!?!

Lelandy Jul 27th 2007 10:46 pm

could...not...resist...

maverick1 Jul 28th 2007 8:22 am

just had a phone call that the price for my little doggy to go down with a van full of other animals for £ 250 in oct- that sounds more like my sort of price range - however now i am worried about his welfare in a strange enviroment
for three days

scrubbedexpat008 Jul 28th 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5108114)
What about driving down? I haven't decided how we'll transport our 2 Boxers yet.

We drove down last November from Middlesex to Eastern Algarve via Dover-Calais with two elderly dogs in the back of our old Range Rover. Stopped every 2 or 3 hours for coffee / water / pee breaks and overnighted in cheap dog-friendly hotels. Absolutely no problems for 2-legged or 4-legged passengers. :thumbup:

Regards

Graeme

derbyflan Jul 28th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by maverick1 (Post 5115977)
just had a phone call that the price for my little doggy to go down with a van full of other animals for £ 250 in oct- that sounds more like my sort of price range - however now i am worried about his welfare in a strange enviroment
for three days

I don't like the sound of that:ohmy:. I'm no animal therapist but that would stress my 2 out big time. For the sake of £100 fly your dog please! I'd be interested to know who is running this operation. Sounds like the RSPCA should pay a visit.

rugbymatt Jul 28th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5116733)
I don't like the sound of that:ohmy:. I'm no animal therapist but that would stress my 2 out big time. For the sake of £100 fly your dog please! I'd be interested to know who is running this operation. Sounds like the RSPCA should pay a visit.

I second that, in fact, if they are transporting animals they will be registered somewhere.

Cornish maid Jul 28th 2007 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5116733)

for three days

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 5116770)
I second that, in fact, if they are transporting animals they will be registered somewhere.

Have you thought what this might do to your dog? Transporting pets can cause all sorts of anxieties for the animals. What arrnagements do they have for each ani,al? Is the cage they are to be put in large enough for the dog to actually move?? Toiletting arrangements? Food/drink?

At least if you drove/ ferried your pet over, you would be in control of the animal and lessen it's nervousness. Flying animals is expensive, that's why we intend to take the ferry and drive the rest of the way. At least our dog will be with the people she knows and loves, not shut up in a cage in the back of a van.

Mitzyboy Jul 28th 2007 1:10 pm

We bought our cat down in the van with us. We stopped regularly. It took us 24 hours non stop with several drivers.

During the trip it didn't touch food, didn't drink, and looked totally shell shocked. That was with us. Imagine how it would have felt in a van load of cats with no familiar faces.

I don't think it ever recovered to be honest, and three months later it died. :(

patsywhitehair Jul 28th 2007 1:30 pm

for three days

WHAT PRICE AT LOVING YOUR DOG??? DONT DO IT PLEASE.... I'D RATHER SCRAPE THE REST OF THE MONEY TOGETHER AND DRIVE MY OWN DOG... CAN YOU IMAGINE THE POOR OLD DOGS ALL IN THEIR CAGES FOR 3 BLINKIN DAYS,LAYING IN THEIR OWN POO AND PEE, NO THANKS.. SORRY TO BE SO HORRIBLE TO YOU BUT I JUST HOPE YOU WONT DO THIS

Pam Sarky Jul 28th 2007 2:53 pm

for three days

OMG dont do it!! For another £150 you can fly your dog. Or better still drive down with him/her. Could you really have you dog emotionally and physically disturbed for the sake of a few quid??

jandy44 Jul 28th 2007 3:29 pm

There is NO WAY:curse: I would use this method of getting your dog to Portugal,I really dont think the guy who is transporting them is going to care one hoot about your dog,and imangine it being cooped up in a van with other animals,I wont even fly my George down,only one way to go for me and that is through the tunnell and then drive down,its cost effective also.For the sakes of a few more quid think again.

Sam Greenfield Jul 28th 2007 3:59 pm

for three days

OMG that sounds really dodgy - you'll probably never see it again - don't do it 3 days is a bloody long time for an animal to be cooped up - do they let them out - do they feed/water them or are they just left there for the whole 3 days - i would never do it to mine and i have 3 (4 if i count my dads as well that we have to get over there next year) - they are worth more than £250.
Love Sam

crispy Jul 28th 2007 4:08 pm

Hi

I don't have a dog but I did fly my cat over and all the bills including pre vet checks, cattery, flights came to nearly £1,000, money I could really have spent somewhere else, but my old fellow was 17 then, the thought of him being shut up in a hot van with goodness knows how many other animals just makes be feel sick. Surely if you love this pet enough to take him with you to Portugal then he is worth spending that extra money to ensure he is safe and well cared for.

My cat was away from us for 4 days but i know that he had really good care in that time a I checked out where he would be at any given time. Even the staff at Seville airport were fantastic when I went to collect him they gave me coffee whilst I waited and a lady drove out to meet the flight so she could check on him and make sure that the handling staff were aware that he was onboard before they unloaded him, the whole time at the airport a member of staff was with me so I would not worry.

It is really a very traumatic thing for an animal to travel any distance so surely looking at the shortest, safest and less difficult would be the only solution. Please, please rethink your idea of sending your dog in the back of this van with strangers It was worth every penny of the money I spent to get my cat here, given his age he could have not ssurvivedthe trip but he did and his nearly 20 now and enjoying his life in the sun.:wub:

dreamcatcher Jul 28th 2007 4:55 pm

for three days

Please dont use this way,especialy after some of the posts on here,Im sure you would be worried sick.Hope you find a better solution.

Mally Lass Jul 28th 2007 5:23 pm

:ohmy:

Anyone authorised to transport Animals overseas needs the required licence to do so, including regular checks for the animals' accommodation and vehicle checks for the same. Regular stops are needed for animals to have access to toilet and access for water.

Does this 'man & Van' offer all of this and are they registered and have the relevant paperwork and licence ?
Does he know what to do in an Emergency, should an animal become sick 'en route' ?
Has he shown you the relevant details of Veterinary help on hand ? If so is this checkable ?
Does his van have Air Conditioning and a Water system ?
Have you seen and inspected the vehicle yourself ?

I know most Pet Couriers are not personally inspected, but they have licences, references, listed with places like Pet Travel Organisations etc, so as this is just a 'Man & Van' I would suggest looking into it far more before even considering it.

BriscasBetterHalf Jul 28th 2007 6:00 pm

We all know even licensed operators don’t follow their brochure so registered or not no way would I subject a dog I loved to this (or one I didn’t).
Onlineamigas going back to the UK for a week, drop him £200 I'd rather do that than trust this what frankly sounds dodgy!
Meet him in Sevilla or something.
PS. I have absolutely no idea if onlineamiga would be even remotely interested in this. But people are going back and forward all the time.

maverick1 Jul 28th 2007 9:36 pm

well what a great bunch of people you really are

,i too am not happy about letting my doggy go with people i dont know so i intend driving him down myself ,i am trying to buy a portuguese left hand car in uk which i can keep using when im living in lagos if anybody knows of a car for sale let me know

derbyflan Jul 28th 2007 11:21 pm

I for one am very pleased to read this. I'm glad that common sense has prevailed here. You really may have lived to regret trusting the welfare of your dog to some faceless organisation.

Ca you please us who they are?

dreamcatcher Jul 28th 2007 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by derbyflan (Post 5118670)
I for one am very pleased to read this. I'm glad that common sense has prevailed here. You really may have lived to regret trusting the welfare of your dog to some faceless organisation.

Ca you please us who they are?

:DCoo me too,well done I really relived,hope you and yours and doggy have a good trip:thumbup:

crispy Jul 29th 2007 12:27 am

Originally Posted by maverick1 (Post 5118371)

,i too am not happy about letting my doggy go with people i dont know so i intend driving him down myself ,i am trying to buy a portuguese left hand car in uk which i can keep using when im living in lagos if anybody knows of a car for sale let me know

Great to hear that maverick! have sent you doggy karma for being a sensible doggy owner:wub:

TruBrit Jul 29th 2007 12:38 am

,i too am not happy about letting my doggy go with people i dont know so i intend driving him down myself

good for you...you know it makes sense :thumbup:

Nomad_H Jul 29th 2007 7:45 am

I recently made the trip from Liverpool to Central Portugal. I had no hesitaion about bringing my 2 siamese (both 12yo) in the car with me.
I got the very best travel cases for them and secured them well in the back seat area. Stopped 1 night in Tours pet friendly hotel and arrived late next day. After initial distress they settled and fell asleep and apart from intermittent bouts of "meowing", we arrived ok and the major stress was born by me. They adapted very quickly and no loss of appetite.
A dog is different I know but to have him with you in the car and be able to stop and walk him, will be better for him. The smell of you and sound of your voice will calm him and you will also handle things better.
The advice you,ve received here is very good, dont trust third parties, who dont give a stuff about your dog,s comfort.
Sorry to go on - my 2 cents worth. Big animal lover.:)

siobhanwf Jul 29th 2007 9:37 am

for three days

I found this site too.... but what on earth do they do with all those animals in a van??? A friend flew her dogs out on GB AIR to Faro and had no problelms at all. The cost was not much more than the price you ahve been quoted.

jandy44 Jul 29th 2007 10:02 am

Good for you,pleased to hear,have a great trip...........:thumbsup:

Cornish maid Jul 29th 2007 10:03 am

Really pleased about that Maverick 1. I'm sure your pooch will be a much happier one now!